Acarbose - Dosing, Use, and Buying Experiences

Acarbose apparently inhibits some of the enteric bacteria, and promotes others.

Zhang X, Fang Z, Zhang C, Xia H, Jie Z, Han X, Chen Y, Ji L. Effects of Acarbose on the Gut Microbiota of Prediabetic Patients: A Randomized, Double-blind, Controlled Crossover Trial. Diabetes Ther. 2017 Apr;8(2):293-307. doi: 10.1007/s13300-017-0226-y. Epub 2017 Jan 27. PMID: 28130771; PMCID: PMC5380489.

Full Paper (HTML) Here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5380489/

Full paper (PDF) here:

https://sci-hub.wf/10.1007/s13300-017-0226-y#

3 Likes

Thanks for the reference. From one of the papers you cite:

ā€œ: This study suggests that the benefits of acarbose for T2DM may correlate with the selective modulation of the gut microbiotaā€

A mouse study showed:

"that Bifidobacterium spp. significantly and

positively correlated with improved glucose

tolerance, insulin secretion, decreased

endotoxemia, and proinflammatory cytokine

level [9]

FWIW

I am currently taking this particular supplement because I donā€™t normally eat any fermented foods which are known to increase Bifidobacterium. And, it also contains Lactobacillus acidophilus, which has always been a standby supplement for me whenever I have experienced any long-term digestive issues. I wasnā€™t aware that Acarbose increased both, so maybe taking this supplement did reduce the side effects of Acarbose. This may be a way of speeding up the Acarbose tolerance as has been reported by some after taking it for a long time.

Still another reference to the changes in gut bacteria.

1 Like

Thanks so much; I will definitely try to use a probiotic when the acarbose arrives.

I donā€™t think I will be able to take the acarbose with every meal consistently because Iā€™m so crazy busy at work, so I was going to start by taking 50 mg with the dinner meal. However, I can change this if needed since I am writing my own scripts.

2 Likes

I recently increased Acarbose dose to 300mg/meal, not gas, no bloating, no diarrhea, I am very satisfied with Acarbose, the side effects of Acarbose are very tolerable comparing to side effects of Rapamycin, metformin, and canagliflozin, and I lost 3kg within 2 weeks when on dose of 300mg/meal, without losing muscle volume.

Due to the pleasant experience of Acarbose, I plan to further add alpha-amylase inhibitor(kidney bean extract) to my diet, I wish that can make microbiome happy in my gut.

5 Likes

What is your typical daily diet consist of? Rice, beans, veggetables, etc.? Just want to understand this as part of the inputs into your results.

3 Likes

I take 100 with evening meal and and another 100 if I feel the need to snack. Iā€™m not counting on getting more than a year of benefit though.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-04091-0

1 Like

I eat vegan + egg, I donā€™t eat rice, wheat, and fruit, I also donā€™t drink alcohol and donā€™t eat snacks, the major calorie is from beans, potato, and purple sweet potato, and I eat lots of green vegetables, I eat collagen peptide 20g daily, and I do weight training 3-4 times a week, in the training day I use isolate soybean protein powder 120g.

I also eat probiotics supplement, I use Advanced Multi-Billion Dophilus by Solgar, because it contain BB-12 which may boost spermidine.
https://www.iherb.com/pr/solgar-advanced-multi-billion-dophilus-60-vegetable-capsules/14215

The eating frequency is 2 meals a day, 300mg Acarbose for each meal, total 600mg Acarbose a day, no gas, no bloating, no diarrhea in general.

5 Likes

I think bb12 can only make it if you supply arginine. My impression is that it is the arginine that is turned into spermadine. Iā€™m not an expert.

I know when they supply it in yogurt much more is made, should be the same in your gut.

2 Likes

Anyone buying Acarbose online overseas without a prescription?

Post edited. Should have searched and found this info in another stream. However, if anyone wants to add new info here, please do. Thanks

Most of the regular vendors in our trustworthy Indian pharmacy list provide Acarbose.

The issue is that the prices are actually relatively high, typically in the $0.50 range per 50mg tablet. Many people have commented that its much cheaper if you get it in your country - its a widely used generic drug, so is very inexpensive. I donā€™t have the pricing in front of me, but I seem to remember that $0.10 to $0.05 per tablet is common.

I wonder if its available in Mexico?

2 Likes

I recently put an order in with Kachhela for 300 x 50mg tablets. They quoted $62 USD including shipping so effectively .20-.21 cents each

2 Likes

Here is my latest price from India, not badā€¦
Qty - 100 - 25 MG Acarbose $ 8 USD
Qty - 100 - 50 MG Acarbose $ 11 USD
+shipping

3 Likes

I stand corrected. Thanks for the updates on pricing guys!

1 Like

One could potentially reduce ammonia gas production and volatile sulfur-containing compounds (sulfate-reducing bacteria) using 2g lactitol and moderating red meat, eggs, and milk consumption (cysteine).

One may potentially further reduce odors through the purchase of activated carbon fiber-lined textiles.

2 Likes

What vendor had this pricing? Thats really good.

1 Like

Hi @RapAdmin Kachhela Medex Private Limited.

Really? I just ordered from them a week ago and it was $62 for 100 x 50mg of Acarbose (including shipping). Does your quote include shipping?

1 Like

@forceofnature read my original message above @RapAdmin cut off the +shipping in his reply.

2 Likes

Hmmmā€¦ my doctor prescribed it for me a few months ago no issueā€¦ cost $10 for 90 pills at pharmacy - for a month supply.

1 Like

@Agetron canā€™t begin to tell you how jealous I am of your forward thinking pcp. Mine looks at me cross eyed when I bring up longevity treatments. Hence my need to bio hack from India.

3 Likes