Acarbose - Details On Another Top Anti-Aging Drug

Sep 2, 2020.

5 Likes

Anyone is adding inulin powder to their diet?

1 Like

I use a massive dose in my yogurt, which leaves some in there. It causes gas, so probably quite a bit. I also eat jerusalem artichokes in my salad.

Rapadmin had a problem with it and I forget what it was now. Hope it doesnā€™t cause memory loss.:slight_smile:

1 Like

ā€œā€¦rarely causes lactic acidosis.ā€ Not good enough for me. I had a renal function panel just the other day. My GFR is 38, a pretty good number, but my CO2, a measure of lactic acid in the blood, was out of range at 17. Copyrighted in 2014, the time of the big rethink, the paper recognizes that metformin comes in toxic doses, and that the risks and rewards are probably higher for CKD Stages 4 and 5. Iā€™m sitting nicely at 3b. Iā€™ll get better results if I cut down on the beer and pizza, maybe once a month instead of twice.

People who are interested in Acarbose may also be interested in this new product out from a company co-founded by Robert Lustig of UCSF.

It seems to have many of the same properties (in terms of limiting increase in post prandial blood glucose) but without any gastro issues. And, its not a pharmaceutical/drug, but a supplement.

There is a presentation by BioLumen, the company behind this product, in this thread: Highlights from the 2023 Longevity Summit

Here is where you can purchase the product (called Munch, Munch)ā€¦

More on the product on the Biolumen website here: https://biolumen.tech

4 Likes

Iā€™m always surprised when companies provide product comparisons that are convincing for competing products. See image from https://www.monchmonch.shop/ website. I think Iā€™ll first give Metamucil (or just psyllium husk fiber) a go for $7/month instead of $150/month. What am I missing?

4 Likes

At the bottom of the we page they current offer

Join Our Journey to Greater Wellness and Get 30% Off

Anyone have experience with Metamucil?

I have 20 gm psyllium husk every morning. The main plus is that it should turn into SCFA which helps build the barrier between bad guys in the gut and your bloodstream. Reduce microbial burden.

Metamucil is just psyllium husk plus some sweetener. The active ingredient is psyllium.

4 Likes

Thx. Any suggestions on good brands?

Yerba Prima is my go-to for psyllium. Since lead contamination is a known risk for psyllium products, YP have passed consumerlab.com tests every year. BTW make sure you know the difference between whole psyllium husk and husk powder (they sell both). The powder is 3 times more concentrated.

That being said, I donā€™t know how psyllium is relevant to acarbose. It certainly doesnā€™t block carbohydrate absorption.

3 Likes

Yes - that pricing was quite a shock to me. That table really doesnā€™t seem to help them make their caseā€¦

2 Likes

Is this the same supplement Peter Attia is testing on himself or is it just similar product?

ps found the PA one, seems even more expensive

2 Likes

Pendulum helps to structurally remodel the gut microbiome, so hopefully is a bit more long term / getting us to a new level (perhaps with lower intermittent maintenance doses), vs the Monch Monch seems to be more of a continuous everyday for as long as you want the results thing

2 Likes

Yes, pendulum said that after two months on their product, your gut microbiome should be fixed and you can discontinue using it.

3 Likes

The Microbiota Vault initiative is rather of the opinion that much of the useful microbiota isnā€™t to be found in the urban world, no matter what one eats.

Color me skeptical. :smile:

3 Likes

That settles it, then. 2-months subscription, then Iā€™m out, for good or bad.

1 Like

From what I have read, diet is a more effective way to change the gut biome.
ā€œour findings strongly suggest that correct dietetic approaches, even in the short term, may be effective in adjusting unbalanced gut microbiota profiles towards more favorable configurations, instrumental to maintaining health.ā€

ā€œdespite a number of animal studies showing how probiotic bacteria can alleviate diseases ranging from autism to osteoporosis, translation of these findings into human clinical trials that has efficacy has been slow to emergeā€

ā€œIntestinal lining samples taken 3 weeks into the intervention showed that the participants given probiotics fell into 2 camps: ā€œpermissiveā€ or ā€œresistant.ā€ The permissive volunteers had a significant increase in probiotic strains in their intestinal lining, whereas the resistant volunteersā€™ guts werenā€™t significantly colonizedā€

I have never felt any benefits from taking probiotics. The only thing I noticed was increased gassiness when taking some of them. So, I think that I am in the ā€œresistantā€ camp.

This may be the reason that the studies are so mixed. I didnā€™t know that there was a ā€œresistantā€ camp.

: Nutrients | Free Full-Text | Effect of Short-Term Dietary Intervention and Probiotic Mix Supplementation on the Gut Microbiota of Elderly Obese Women
: Are Probiotics Money Down the Toilet? Or Worse? | Complementary and Alternative Medicine | JAMA | JAMA Network
: Sci-Hub | Are Probiotics Money Down the Toilet? Or Worse? JAMA | 10.1001/jama.2018.20798

3 Likes

Btw, the trial was after 90 days I think

1 Like

I would never take that without researching carefully what my gut microbiome was before, during and after.

See this video: