Acarbose - Details On Another Top Anti-Aging Drug

Goran: Are you using acarbose and Butyraid at the same time? I understand your post as saying that Butyraid could be used when side-effects prevent acarbose.

1 Like

Hi Ulf. I donā€™t supplement with Butyrate anymore. I use Acarbose before every meal and I use Psyllium Husk once a day, so my body make more than enough of butyrate and other SCFA by it self.

4 Likes

Are the Longevity Benefits of Acarbose Rooted in Its Effect on the Gut Microbiota?

When the National Institute for Aging tested over a dozen longevity molecules, acarbose was one of five molecules shown to increase lifespan. The intrigue around acarbose stems from its dual function: it influences metabolic health and reshapes our gut microbiota. But how does this alteration in microbial balance translate to enhanced healthspan? This article probes the notion that the healthspan-promoting benefits of acarbose are intrinsically linked to its role in diversifying the gut microbiome and amplifying the production of short-chain fatty acids.

6 Likes

ā€œIntriguingly, even when acarbose treatment was initiated later in life, at 16 months, a noticeable longevity benefit remainedā€
ā€œI love it when studies say even when treatment was initiated later in life, a noticeable longevity benefit remainedā€

8 Likes

Great article!! This even helps me understand the histone acetylation and HDAC thing. Iā€™ve been doing my best to use inulin and jerusalem artichokes as often as possible, but honestly I think Acarbose is the answer.

What starches are best with Acarbose to best feed the SCFA manufacturing bacteria? I read something about Mannose. I think itā€™s just 2 glucoses.

3 Likes

When it comes to the microbiota, I wonder how much of the general effects from taurine supplementation ic mediated through the microbiota. Conclusion "Taurine acting as a conjugate of BAs influences the signaling of TGR5 and FXR, having serious physiological consequences. Upon deconjugation, it dynamically interacts with microbiota by being metabolized or leading to the production of multiple signaling molecules. Alternatively, it is taken up to fulfill its role in other tissues. The crucial reaction of taurine release relies on microbiota, and the sensitive equilibrium and interaction of factors BAs, taurine, and microbiota contribute to the health and homeostasis of the host."

2 Likes

" My wife said I had to choose between her or the acarbose, so I reluctantly gave up the latter. :upside_down_face:"
You clearly made the wrong choice :slight_smile:

1 Like

ā€œI love it when studies say even when treatment was initiated later in life, a noticeable longevity benefit remainedā€

I wonder why? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So Iā€™m celiac. And so I avoid any wheat or gluten and I have absolutely no issues at all with acarbose and gas. If you do eat a lot of wheat products and I think a lot of people do it might be worth reducing it to see if thereā€™s any effect.

3 Likes

No problem with gas, and no I donā€™t usually eat wheat unless occasional splurging on a large pizza. But my issue is acarbose is giving me the metalic taste in my mouth and hate it. Btw, just started taking it last couple of weeks. Anybody experiences the same and what is the remedy (short of shelving it) if any?

1 Like

That issue of ā€œmetallic tasteā€ is something some people experience with drugsā€¦ see here:

And one person experienced this with rapamycin here: One Side Effect Not Many Talk About - Metallic Taste in Mouth

It seems pretty rare, but people do report it, with all sorts of drugs.

1 Like

That is odd. I have never seen it referenced in any literature I have read so far, but sweetness is mentioned.
ā€œAcarbose, an Ī±-glucosidase inhibitor, is a pseudo-saccharide that has an overall resemblance to a glucose-based oligosaccharide and thus may be viewed as a structural analog. During other studies, we recognized that acarbose can also elicit sweet taste.ā€

1 Like

@desertshores well then it my be your other culprits hahaa, because i started (on your recommendation) to take GABA, L-Sterine, and L-theanine (this i used to take long ago). So between these and Acarbose, one is the culprit :smile:

If you ever take the anti-COVID drug Paxlovid, there is a high chance you will develop the metallic taste. I did. However it stopped with the stopping of the medication.

1 Like

Covid is a nonissue for me and will stay that way forever. Actually, any Sars/covid/flu related viruses are all 100% a non-issue for me, they have never been an issue and will never be an issue. NEVER got the cold, flu, Sars nor Covid (in last 17 years that is). I have literally never been sick nor visited a doctor other than a small tooth infection three years ago.

I just wanted to give a big thumbs up :+1: for this suggestionā€¦.as up to this point I was just taking the Acarbose tablet with my meal. It makes a big difference taking it crushed. I know it may be obvious to some people, but I sometimes overlook the ā€˜obviousā€™.

I wonder if chewing the acarbose tablet would work better than taking the tablet whole? seems like a hassle to have to crush the tablet and sprinkle it over food 3 times/day. On the other hand, I havenā€™t chewed a tablet, so I donā€™t know how it tastes.

Yes - many of us just chew the acarbose tablet when taking it. That works well.

2 Likes

Itā€™s sweet. 20 characters

Arenā€™t you supposed to chew the tablet? I thought that was the prescribed protocol.

3 Likes