A Pig's Brain Transcended Its Body, Surging to Life on Its Own. Humans May Be Next

I don’t want my brain working outside my body, I want it working inside my body… but I guess this is one step towards full body transplants :wink:

• Researchers in Texas crafted a device meant to help isolate the brain for scientific study.
  • By keeping the brain alive and functioning separate from the body for hours, experts believe that they can improve heart-lung bypass technology.
  • This sci-fi-like concept was first modeled in pigs, but humans could be next.
2 Likes

looks like they published on it last year

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-39344-7

1 Like

Deeply disturbing. This seems to me as something that should not be done.

I agree, it has a major “yuck” factor. I’ve not dove deep into the rationale for doing this… but I have to believe there must be a reasonable therapeutic or research-oriented need they are trying to address. It sounds like its a tool of basic research (not a potential therapeutic approach).

“This novel method enables research that focuses on the brain independent of the body, allowing us to answer physiological questions in a way that has never been done,” Juan Pascual, professor at UT Southwestern, said in a statement.

“This novel method enables research that focuses on the brain independent of the body, allowing us to answer physiological questions in a way that has never been done,” said Dr. Pascual, Professor of Neurology, Pediatrics, and Physiology, and in the Eugene McDermott Center for Human Growth and Development at UT Southwestern. Dr. Pascual is a member of the Peter O’Donnell Jr. Brain Institute at UTSW.

The brain is the body’s master controller for a variety of processes, regulating heart rate, breathing, and sleep and wake cycles, among others. In turn, the brain’s function is affected by factors that originate in the body, such as blood sugar, blood pressure, and oxygenation. Until now, Dr. Pascual explained, there has been no way to separate the brain from the body to study these influences.

In an animal model using anesthesia, the researchers redirected the brain’s blood supply through a pump that maintained or adjusted a range of variables, including blood pressure, volume, temperature, oxygenation, and nutrients. The team found that brain activity and other measurements had minimal to no changes over a five-hour period.

2 Likes

It’s definitely a step towards the future of full body replacement. No need for full cryogenics.

A whole new meaning to the term “pigheaded”.

2 Likes