A New Approach to NAD+ in Sarcopenia

the researchers then turned to naturally aged mice. 19-month-old Black 6 mice were given an NNMT inhibitor for five weeks and compared to a similarly aged control group. The results were very encouraging: their age-related loss of lean mass was attentulated, their grips under electrical stimulation were considerably stronger, metabolic factors such as AMPK and NAD+ were considerably greater, and their cross-sectional muscle mass was larger.

3 Likes

What is nnmt enzyme inhibitor? Has anyone used it? Excessive nnmt enzyme reduces DNA repair.

1 Like

While the lifespan data for nad+ doesn’t seem to live up to the Sinclair hype, I do strongly believe in the ability of nad+ to improve muscle function. I’ve seen in in myself, in my parents now, and it seems to be the area that has the most success in studies. Even shows some positive results in ALS patients.

1 Like

Very interesting. Went down a bit of a hole searching for which natural supplements inhibit nicotinamide n-methyltransferase

I found this interesting article:

Frontiers | Nicotinamide N-Methyltransferase: A Promising Biomarker and Target for Human Cancer Therapy (frontiersin.org)

Looks like the natural product yuanhuadine (sourced from Flos Genkwa - Lilac Daphne Flower Bud? But look for interactions e.g. nephrotoxicity) does this (from above article):

The natural product yuanhuadine (YD) significantly inhibits NNMT expression and upregulates miR-449a levels in EGFR-TKI-resistant NSCLC in a concentration-dependent manner.

Details on Flos Genkwa - TCM Herbs - TCM Wiki

3 Likes

Mice prematurely aged by eating d-galactose. D-galactose is commonly found in dairy products, avocados, sugar beets, and other gums and mucilages. There are also d-galactose anti-aging supplements. It’s a kind of a paradox: it ages lab animals prematurely and is used as anti-aging for humans. Mind bending.

4 Likes

5-amino 1MQ is an NNMT inhibitor that has been talked about before in this forum

1 Like