A Good Overview of Cellular Rejuvenation: Partial reprogramming deep dive

This is a good overview of this important area of focus:

Partial reprogramming deep dive: the good, bad, and partially unresolved

Right now, partial reprogramming is the hottest topic in longevity. The field went from being overlooked to becoming one of the most well-funded research areas after billions of dollars in investment into projects like NewLimit (Brian Armstrong) and Altos Labs (Yuri Milner, Jeff Bezos).

But how promising is it exactly? I decided to spend a few months learning all I could in an attempt to answer that question (see detailed notes on all the papers I’ve read here). This deep dive is a culmination of that effort, summarizing what I’ve learned about the current state-of-the-art and limitations of this field.

2 Likes

Age reversal works in primates to restore vision.

Perhaps a powerful step forward towards first OSK in humans.

The Twitter thread also provides a summary of overall advances in this area by this group.

1 Like

Look forward to seeing the actual paper

Here is the press release

Life Biosciences (Life Bio), a biotechnology company advancing innovative cellular rejuvenation technologies to reverse diseases of aging and injury and ultimately restore health for patients, today announced preclinical data in nonhuman primates (NHP) for its novel gene therapy candidate which uses a partial epigenetic reprogramming approach to restore visual function.

This approach has been shown to reverse aging, improve vision, and extend lifespan in mice, but whether epigenetic reprogramming would work in primates was not known. Today, researchers at Life Bio and academic researchers, including Dr. Bruce Ksander and Dr. David Sinclair, reported that Life Bio’s therapy significantly restored visual function in an NHP model of non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION), a disorder similar to a stroke of the eye that is characterized by painless yet sudden loss of vision. The data, presented at the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) 2023 conference in New Orleans, LA, represents an important step forward toward enabling human clinical trials to potentially treat a variety of ophthalmic disorders and other diseases of aging.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2023/04/23/2652317/0/en/Life-Biosciences-Presents-Groundbreaking-Data-at-ARVO-Demonstrating-Restoration-of-Visual-Function-in-Nonhuman-Primates.html

1 Like

More momentum for partial reprogramming

NewLimit, a longevity pharma startup co-founded by Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong and former Google Ventures partner Blake Byers, on Tuesday announced that it’s raised $40 million in Series A funding.

The company previously raised $105 million from its co-founders, as announced in late 2021.

New investors are Dimension, Founders Fund, Kleiner Perkins, Eric Schmidt, Elad Gil, Garry Tan and Fred Ehrsam.

• The bottom line: We wanted flying cars. Instead we may get longer life.*
1 Like