90% of Americans Deficient in Choline

The newly published study below points out that 90% of Americans get less than the recommended daily intake of choline. And mice fed a diet deficient in choline are susceptible to various pathological findings in the heart, brain, liver, and impaired insulin/glucose processing.

6 Likes

I have 3 eggs a day. Should be good.

6 Likes

I read this before and it might be true. Many nootropics hackers insist that you have to supplement with choline, especially if you are taking one of the racetams like piracetam.
They claim you get headaches if you don’t take a choline supplement with them.
When I was experimenting with racetams even in large doses I never experienced this effect.
I have never experienced any subjective benefits of taking a choline supplement of any kind. I still occasionally take various choline supplements of various kinds just because I have accumulated a cupboard load of them when I was taking racetams.
They look to be beneficial, but it is going to be hard to measure the benefits.

4 Likes

This is another example of Bruce Ame’s Triage theory: that the body triages its functions according to the raw materials available to it. If you are low on a building block like choline, you will have suboptimal health because production of lower-priority needs are reduced or eliminated. But they are still needs for optimal health.

3 Likes

Chris Masterjohn has said some interesting things about choline. Apparently choline protects the liver. If you are an alcoholic, or a sugar junkie, be sure to get some choline. A great source is eating liver. We actual are what we eat in this example.

4 Likes

I supplement with some choline and TMG for liver protection.

2 Likes

What form of choline supplementation do you guys do? Phosphatidylcholine? Alpha GPC? I know choline bitartrate can raise TMAO

1 Like

Can you provide a source for that? This is concerning because choline bitartrate is my prefered source of choline due to its high choline content.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350953888_Dietary_Choline_Supplements_but_Not_Eggs_Raise_Fasting_TMAO_Levels_in_Participants_with_Normal_Renal_Function_A_Randomized_Clinical_Trial

3 Likes

I just got Alpha GPC 600mg + Uridine for my mom which I suspect has MCI (neurology consult coming up soon).
I tried two of these in the morning with my coffee and holy crap, my head felt like I just did a line of cocaine - minus the sympathetic activation. Feeling of vice clamp on my brain, bit dizzy, lightheaded, slightly nauseous and suppressed appetite.

I also just started on taurine about 3grams a day so I am not sure if the effect are additive.

1 Like

1 g CDP choline w 1 gram of Phosphatidylcholine to get an even distribution in the body daily and 100mg Alpha GPC with uridine and donepezil before studying works like wonder for me

1 Like