4,000 IU Vitamin D3 greatly reduces risk of COVID

Placebo had a 24% infection rate. Vitamin D3 group only 6%.

8 Likes

I currently take 1000 IU, so I wonder if that is effective enough? I used to take 5000 IU, but I thought it was too much. I guess it is worth going back to 5000 IU.

When everyone in my family got COVID (wife, sons, in laws). I was taking 5000 IU. I did not get it. I didn’t even register on the government tests. However, I had also received the best vaccinations two weeks prior. Still, I have never gotten COVID even though many around me have.

1 Like

It seems that short term (1 month) is more effective than long term daily supplement. It seems to have a feedback mechanism. So taking it weekly with a higher dosage or daily with a more flexible dosage could perhaps give us all the benefit.

1 Like

More reasons for Vitamin D.

A well done study that unfortunately needs to be weighed against several studies that have shown no improvement with vitamin, or improvement only in people that are vitamin D deficient.

1 Like

So, most of us recognize whether or not we get enough vitamin D from sunlight.
Those of us who avoid the sun probably need a vitamin D supplement. I don’t think 5000 iu s every other day or even daily, is an unreasonable amount to supplement with.

1 Like

I personally think both studies are rubbish. For instance:

Finally, almost 50% of control participants took vitamin D supplements during the study period, which could have diluted any effects of vitamin D.<

WHAT??? So 50% of your control group is taking Vitamin D as well? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of a control group? That’s like doing a Rapamycin trial and 50% of the placebo group is taking Rapamycin on the side. How do you work that???

The second study is almost as bad:

In addition, participants were relatively young and healthy, and 86.3% had adequate vitamin D levels (>50 nmol/L) at baseline.

So, the control group here, 86.3% had enough vitamin D. So you are measuring people taking vitamin D against a control group where 86.3% are getting enough vitamin D (probably again through supplements). Would you expect there to be a difference???

Both of these studies are rubbish.

In the general global public, 50% of the population has a vitamin D deficiency. These are the ones most at risk of getting serious COVID. It doesn’t make sense to do studies on groups that are getting enough vitamin D already. The results are not surprising and next to worthless.

These are the kinds of scientific studies that worry me about the validity of other scientific studies.

1 Like

It appears that the monoclonal antibodies no longer work against COVID. All the more reason to take preventative steps for good health such as vitamin D.

For every study that shows vitamin D works, there is another study that shows it didn’t. Of course, there really isn’t much downside to taking vitamin D. Recent study shows Zinc is helpful with COVID.

Don’t think I’ve given anyone monoclonals in 6 months.

1 Like