2nd edition of Rapamycin, mTOR, Autophagy & Treating mTOR Syndrome

I’m happy to announce that the 2nd edition of Rapamycin, mTOR, Autophagy & Treating mTOR Syndrome is now available. In the 2nd edition, I have proposed The mTOR/Autophagy Theory of Aging. Additional topics in the 2nd edition include a) How to prevent & treat sarcopenia, b) Why many men taking rapamycin have increase erections, c) rapamycin activates genes associated with maximum lifespan, and much more.

TO ORDER: Call Life Extension at: (866) 598-6747 + a free 6-month subscription to Life Extension magazine. Also available on Amazon.

15 Likes

I highly recommend this book (its the only one out there on Rapamycin for lay audiences). A good gift for friends and family to get them interested in longevity. Also a good book to give your doctor as a starting point for their research.

(I have no commercial interest in this book, but I have read the book and it seems like a great starting point for anyone new to the longevity field). I’ve given copies to friends.

8 Likes

Thanks for recommending. I bought the Kindle version. Haven’t finished but I do find it a bit repetitive. Still worth the read.

I bought the book for my father. He has enjoyed it. Thanks Dr. Ross!

1 Like

Finished the book. One thing I was very happy to read about was the longevity effects of strength training. I’ve been doing high intensity strength training for almost 40 years and still doing it at age 71.

5 Likes

can you address the lipid and glucose problem?

All the studies I’ve seen show cholesterol, TG, HDL, LDL, glucose, insulin and insulin resistance significantly decreased with HIIT as well as moderate intensity exercise. Of course, training isn’t a panacea. You still have to eat right, sleep well, etc. In my opinion, maintaining muscle mass as you age is critical to good health and avoiding frailty and HIIT is great for that. You can also apply HIIT to non-strength training. For example, wind sprints vs jogging. You do have to be careful not to go beyond your limits. I blew out my shoulder benching 300 lbs at age 65. Dumb move.

2 Likes

Thanks, I mean the potential side effect of Rapa on blood sugar and lipids?

In the 2nd edition of my book, on pages 95-96, I recommend that rapamycin users get a baseline lab panel and occasionally get follow-up labs. Key metrics to track are cholesterol, triglycerides, hemoglobin, iron and insulin levels. When rapamycin is taken daily to prevent organ transplant rejection, or as chemotherapy, some of these lab values often become abnormal. However, when rapamycin is only taken once weekly, serious alterations in lab values seldom occur. The vast majority of laboratory data on rapamycin use is related to FDA-approved daily dosing. I strongly encourage people taking rapamycin for its anti-aging benefits to get the sirolimus blood test and track the other lab values I’ve mentioned so that over time, we can start to have a better understanding of all these details.

6 Likes

By Dr. ALAN Green
He is the preeminent clinical practice with Rapamycin as the central treatment… review his web site. It will explain the increase in these markers and how to address them. I’m in my 5th year on R and a patient of Green’s practice (patient #38). I do take it with tadalafil on the day of my weekly dose. I take metformin daily as it’s synergistic and the combination of both ranked the highest net longevity increase on the ITPs list of the only 5 treatments that positively affected Healthspan/ Lifespan.
Dr. Green at 80 is sharp and has the greatest clinical experience with Rapamycin. Not second hand, hands on with over 1,200 patients.

5 Likes

3 Rapamycin Qs:

1 Like

thanks for sharing. His database must be a goldmine. Someone should help him with the meta-analyses. What is your dose regiment and his (the latest)?

1 Like

I say BS to: “However it was also associated with a significant decrease in LDL (bad) cholesterol and triglycerides.”
That just doesn’t seem to be the case. Maybe I missed something, but there aren’t many people, other than Agetron who seems to be an outlier, claiming that rapamycin did anything positive for their LDL and triglyceride levels.

1 Like

true, such a variance of stats out there.

Followup. Is the simultaneous tadalafil / rapamycin for a particular purpose?

Seems like people also should get HA1c, fasting glucose and ideally a pre-rapa and post-rapa stint on a CGM?

Sure…in an ideal world…more info is usually worthwhile. However, most people are not going to wear a CGM

HA1c and fasting glucose is super easy and cheap? Any reason to not conclude those in suggested blood work?

1 Like

I like to track fasting glucose, and that can be done easily with a finger prick measure. HA1c too, but a little more of a hassle.

1 Like

A CGM can provide an early warning of coming problems with glucose control. Long timeframes for glucose peaks to normalize, double peaks, low glucose during sleep. HbA1c and fasting glucose are lagging indicators. I would argue that if no family history or metabolic problems or body fatness problems exist then CGM isn’t useful.

CGM can provide accountability for people needing help with control over food choices, food order, timing of exercise and food, etc.

I don’t use one but have in the past.