2mg Tablets vs. 1mg

Does anyone know if there’s a size difference between the 1mg and 2mg Rapamycin tablets – or are they the same size? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

0.5 mg rapamycin is triangular and beige. 1mg is white and triangular. 2 mg is oval and white.

2 Likes

My Biocon and Zydus 1mg pills are white and round. No experience with the other sizes.

3 Likes

And there is always Google image search.

1 Like

Hey thanks for responding! Is there a difference in size in the 1mg and the 2mg?

Thanks but there’s no images of them side by side, unfortunately. Wanted to compare sizes.

1 Like

It’s difficult to compare size as they are different in shape - one is triangular and another is oval. It applies only to Rapamycin by Pfizer and not to generic sirilimus. You can also ask GPT-4.

They look similar in size in the Drugs.com images, but it’s hard to tell. Maybe I’ll call a pharmacy and see if I can find out.

Drill down on Drugs.com - they have the measurements too. They are all 8mm in size.

2 Likes

That’s great news, thank you so much.

One of the reasons I wanted to know is because I’m taking 2 1mg tablets (started at 1mg, going up to 4mg in a few weeks, if I don’t have any significant side effects.)
There’s some not-so-great fillers in rapamycin and it would be great to get less of them by taking 2 pills instead of 4.

1 Like

I have 1mg pills and 2mg pills. My 2mg pills are actually smaller than the 1mg pills. My 1mg pills are manufactured by “Dr. Reddy,” and my 2mg pills are from “Ascend Laboratories.” In the picture below, the 2mg pill is yellow and on the left, and the 1mg pill is white and on the right.

So as you can see, lots more filler in the Dr. Reddy pill! There’s obviously lots of difference by manufacturers - a surprising amount of difference.

3 Likes

Thank you and there sure is a difference … wow, a smaller pill and 2x the dose is much better. The fillers include sucrose, lactose, polyethylene glycol 8000, calcium sulfate, microcrystalline cellulose, pharmaceutical glaze, talc, titanium dioxide, magnesium stearate, povidone, poloxamer 188, polyethylene glycol 20,000, glyceryl monooleate, carnauba wax and various coloring agents.
As someone who’s concerned about my health, getting less of these would be great … looks like you’re already ahead of the game!

2 Likes

Yes those fillers don’t sound so good. It would be interesting to see all the available pills side by side. Since one doesn’t know what manufacturer one will get when they take an Rx to the pharmacist, there’s still a lot of potential for variability. Like maybe some other manufacturers’ 2mg are much larger for some reason. Good luck.

Good point !

As regards the Pfizer Rapamune ones:

2 Likes

Can I ask if you get your Ascend Laboratories sirolimus from India (or another non-prescription required provider?) Or do you use a prescription?
I’ve been unable to get anyone to return my inquiries on IndiaMart for any 2mg pills.

Thanks in advance for your help :slight_smile:

Sure. I am a patient of Dr. Green, the well-known rapamycin proponent. He gave me two prescriptions, one with 1mg pills and one with 2mg pills. I filled the 1mg pill Rx at the drug store near Dr. Green’s office. I took the 2mg one to my local CVS here in Northern New Jersey. If I could not get a prescription for Rapa, I would not hesitate to get it direct from India (thanks to this forum’s great resources).

1 Like

Most of those ingredients are necessary for enteric coating, without that, you get zero bioavailability.
When it comes to macrogol or PEG, chances are if you are over 50, you had to drink a gallon of that stuff already :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, I realized that after I posted the ingredients and someone helpfully provided some of the amounts in the coatings for each milligram size (interesting that the 2mg pill is half the size of the 1mg pill, which clearly has more fillers).

As someone who takes other meds, I discovered that many of these small ingredients cause problematic reactions, absorption issues and allergies.

Thanks for the info. I’m a patient of gethealthspan.com but they only have the 1mg tablet, from what I understand.
Interestingly, I’ve contacted some IndiaMart distributors who advertise 2mg tablets, but they haven’t messaged back (only the 1mg providers have).

1 Like