21 Year Old Female on Rapamycin for 7 months

There are still a lot of different competing theories on aging. Vadim Gladyshev of Harvard believes aging starts shortly after conception…

Yes, if we consider that aging is damage accumulation, we need to ask the question, when does it begin to accumulate? We know it accumulates late in life, but what about earlier times? Does it accumulate at the age of 30? Yes. At the age of 20? Yes. At the age of 10? Again, yes. At birth? Yes! And even before birth.

First, we published a paper where we demonstrated that damage begins to accumulate already early in life. At that point, we didn’t know exactly if it happens at conception or a bit later.

Interestingly, rapamycin is also the only molecule that was found to extend lifespan similarly when the treatment started in early adulthood or much later in life.

Yes, it’s a nice discovery, and rapamycin is a very promising molecule, for sure.

More details here…

2 Likes

Blockquote Yes, if we consider that aging is damage accumulation, we need to ask the question, when does it begin to accumulate? We know it accumulates late in life, but what about earlier times? Does it accumulate at the age of 30? Yes. At the age of 20? Yes. At the age of 10? Again, yes. At birth? Yes! And even before birth.

I do agree with him. I believe aging begins from the start. Even at 5 years old. It just doesn’t accumulate and show until we’re much older. Even at 21 years old, I would have aging accumulated up to some extent. It just doesn’t show yet. In my opinion its safe to start anti aging regimes as soon as you’re fully developed to slow the accumulation of aging as much as possible.

The key should be to slow aging much as possible and its make sense to do this when you’re young before the accumulation builds up to a critical point which is see in a lot of elderly people with chronic health conditions , dementia, arthritis, cancer.

There is some talk about our brain not developing until we’re 25 but I don’t think rapamycin will halt this process. It’s not like rapamycin completely pauses/halts everything to a complete 100% stop.

1 Like

I’ll most likely continue a small dose of rapamycin. Once I’m 25 I’ll increase my dose by a little bit. I feel like at 21 I’m fully grown now. When I look back when I was 18 and now at 21 not much has changed. I’m still the same weight, height etc.

I do resistant training 3-4 times a week so hopefully this supports my bone/muscle health.

1 Like

Interesting article. I feel like at 21 I’m aging. It just hasn’t shown yet. What would you do if you were 21? good to hear everyone’s opinion.

Ageing is hard to be reversed, rapamycin, as a geroprotective drug in many animal models, I believe we should take geroprotective therapy as early as possible, because it’s hard to reverse aging but relatively easy to slow it down.

Spot on! Its more easier to prevent/slow something then reverse it. That comes to a lot of things, not just aging, cancer etc is the same with certain types of cancers. Prevent smoking lung cancer from not smoking, don’t smoke get to the point of getting lung cancer and then try to reverse/cure it, while possible to reverse the lung cancer, its more difficult & dangerous.

Same with wrinkles/sun spots caused from the sun. Wear sunscreen & prevent your time in the sun on very hot days. I’ve seen some folks at the beach tanning and they sure have lots and lots of wrinkles/sun spots.

I believe David Sinclair , a well respected Harvard scientist in the field of aging once said “Its easier to prevent wrinkles & grey hair, rather than reversing it”. I totally agree.

2 Likes

All the interventions now, are just slowing the progress of aging. There is no age-reversal intervention yet.

Since aging, if any, in a 21 year old is slow (like a slow moving car), you do not need to step too hard on the brakes. Hard stopping is needed for a fast car; same with a fast aging body. So I will do other interventions. Those are:

1. Intermittent fasting - there is a lot of evidence that IF provides similar benefits to the gold standard, caloric restriction.
  2. Exercise - the other gold standard
  3. Reduce inflammation - there is a lot of material on that too.
  4. Supplements - just check the stacks of other people. They seem to converge as to what people take.
  5. Glycine

Rapa and metformin are, to me, like hard braking. Your rate of aging is like a car running at 20 mph. A 60 year old is aging like a car running at 60 mph.

At your age, you may not turn 40 before science discovers age-reversal. Science is advancing now, at a wonderfully fast rate.

3 Likes

Actually not really accurate… See this video…

Full Podcast:

3 Likes

Between Nir Barzilai (66) for Metformin, and Kaeberlein (51) for rapa, Barzilai is a better marketing model (not that they are marketing anything) for his favored intervention. Barzilai looks better aged than Kaeberlein.

1 Like

Ha… In that video i would agree. The lighting is really bad

If you look at the Dr. Attia and Kaberlein video before this one, Matt looks pretty good. I’d chalk this up to either bad lighting or Matt went out on a bender the night before. :rofl:

1 Like

Aubrey de Grey (without the beard) would be a good advertising model for his interventions - skin tone, etc. But there is no info about his supplement stack.

Unfortunately, I have heard that Aubrey de Grey is a charismatic quack. That came from a research scientist that I greatly respect.

mTOR is needed for development and growth. I think it’s risky to mess with mTOR in 20s when development is not complete. 20s is the best time to build as much muscles and bones as possible given the high hormone and energy levels. Personally, I would use this decade to do that because it becomes increasingly difficult as you get older. And it takes many years to build the maximum amount of muscles. Muscle mass and strong bones are essential for longevity. I wouldn’t squander this precious window of opportunity by lowering mTOR; you will not have this time period again in your life. Prescription drugs can wait until you’re older (30+).

Besides, there are so many other things that you can do to slow aging, such as managing blood sugar and blood lipids, optimizing body composition, fasting, ensuring adequate nutrition and sleep, managing stress, wearing sunscreen…the list goes on. It’s not Rapa or nothing.

By the way, Michael Lustgarten is one of the rare biohackers out there who hardly takes any supplement and he’s done a fantastic job of optimizing his biomarkers by adjusting his diet and exercise. Which just goes to show that you don’t have to take prescription drugs to achieve amazing results. If you don’t already know Michael Lustgarten, you can check out his channel on YouTube. I’ve learned so much from his videos.

2 Likes

Since aging, if any, in a 21 year old is slow (like a slow moving car), you do not need to step too hard on the brakes. Hard stopping is needed for a fast car; same with a fast aging body. So I will do other interventions. Those are:

I totally agree with this. I’m sure my rate of aging is moving much slower than someone twice my age. Do you think taking a small mini dose of rapamycin would be ok? Slowing the car abit, but not completely slowing it to a halt? I currently do intermittent fasting but I need to work on my exercise for sure.

Thank you for your reply.

I understand mTOR is needed for growth but in my mind growth = aging. As I’m 21 and fully grown, I feel like further growth isn’t needed. I could be wrong, of course. Do you also mean mTOR is needed for muscle growth? if so that could be a problem. I want to maintain my muscle mass as much as possible as I get older.

I have no idea if rapamycin inhibits mTOR completely, I’m hoping a few days after taking my dose , mTOR will stopped getting inhibited. My goal is basically to half of the time inhibit mTOR to some extent, and allow mTOR to activated for a little bit of growth, but not too much. I need to try and find a balance I guess but its very hard as its all basically guess work. I can only hope taking a weekly dose will allow mTOR to rest as I’m not taking rapamycin daily, which would probably would be a bad idea.

I feel like exercise, diet is the first thing you should but in my honest opinion exercise & diet will only get you so far. I feel like rapamycin will hopefully take my longevity to the next level.

I’m just going by the animal studies that show starting young with rapamycin = better median/maxium lifespan.

I’ll check out Michael Lustgarten. Seems like an interesting youtube channel.

1 Like

I would suggest for younger people the frequency of taking rapamycin should be reduced.

3 Likes

I agree with you. I currently take 4mg a week which is a small dose compared to most people. I know some people who take 6-8mg a week. I may decrease it to 3mg just to be safe but so far so good with my blood work. Hopefully I’ll be ok. Its really hard to say. All guess work. We need human studies for sure.

Still, I am interested in his supplement stack.

If I was 21 I think I would take somewhere between 4 and 10mg but only take it once a month.

I hate to comment here months later, but you have to take into account the possibility bone density won’t even be a problem by the time we reach old age if we take from 20s (seems very probable to me). Assuming there aren’t huge societal disasters medicine should see a lot of progress in 40-50 years.
I’m personally choosing to take it because I’m having some medical issues in my life that are causing a ton of join inflammation and pain (and other issues) so obviously my situation is a bit different from the norm. Hoping it helps, and can get me well enough to be exercising regularly (compared to essentially not at all)