Your Supplements are a Lie (video)

Thanks. I’ve used at lot of bulk supplement products but I’ve wonder about them. Why do you say it is a reliable brand?

1 Like

Well it appears Bulk Supplements does have issues. I guess I should switch back to NOW.

ConsumerLab found problems with 30% of BullSuplements supplements - 5 out of 15. Labdoor found no problems with the 7 products tested. I typically bought my amino acid powders from them - Glycine, Citrulline as well as Astaxanthin.

4 Likes

Thanks for checking. Off the list.

I think you can scratch do not age from that list as well, the 3rd party testing of their supplements is very limited. it’s only a few. NMN and Resveratrol. Better buy from lifeextention or now or Doctor’s Best. tests everything

1 Like

I try to take supplements which are NSF certified for sports.
They are controlled and the manufacturing process is audited by NSF.

NSF’s Certified for Sport® program meets the growing demands of athletes, coaches and all those concerned about banned substances in dietary supplements, functional foods, and cosmetics/ personal care products. We verify that these products do not contain unsafe levels of contaminants, prohibited substances or masking agents, and that what is on the label matches what is in the product. By doing so, the Certified for Sport® certification program provides consumers with safer choices when selecting dietary supplements, functional foods, and cosmetics/ personal care products.

There are numerous quality components of the Certified for Sport® certification program, which verifies that:

• Products do not contain any of 290 substances banned by major athletic organizations
  • The contents of the supplement actually match what is printed on the label
  • There are no unsafe levels of contaminants in the tested products
  • The product is manufactured at a facility that is GMP Certified and audited annually or bi-annually based on grade for quality and safety by NSF
2 Likes

Thanks. “NSF Certified for Sport” list includes Thorne (and many other well know brands). Thorne is my go to for now.

@Joseph_Lavelle I also use Thorne but not all of their supplements are NSF certified.
For some like vitamin D they offer them in certified and non certified versions and some don’t exist in a certified version at all.

1 Like

Ah. Good trick. I guess nobody is perfect. Thanks for the warning.

Of the brands mentioned by Peter Attia in the past as ones he trusts, Swanson and Jarrow were top of his list, as well as mentioning Thorne.
I know Chris Masterjohn buys LifeExtension products.
I believe Now is also a trustworthy brand (forget which high profile person recommended them).

4 Likes

I know that Do Not Age has only tested a couple of their supplements, but those have passed with flying colors. I have no reason to believe that their other supplements have problems. So I will continue purchasing some supplements from them. But to each their own.

Just found out that most (all?) Momentous supplements are also NSF certified for sport.
They also are slightly cheaper than Thorne.
BTW using the discount code hubermanlistener will give you 20% (5% on subscriptions)

2 Likes

One of the best ways to determine the quality of a supplement company is to go to either

ConsumerLab or
LabDoor

And look at the rankings of the different manufacturers. LabDoor is free, but ConsumerLab is a $60 USD annual membership.

I have just become a member at ConsumerLab, so if there’re any supplements you guys want checked, I’ll be happy to do it.

Here’s an example for L-Citrulline

In this case, BulkSupplements was the best, and Nutricost only had 66% of the listed amount.

4 Likes

ConsumerLab also provides you with a cost breakdown so you can buy the least expensive/highest quality supplement. Here’s Citrulline again. In this case, BulkSupplements.com had the highest quality and was least expensive.

Now I am starting to question that earlier article. Which is the fake? I’ll continue to review BulkSupplements on ConsumerLab. If it comes out high, then I’ll change my mind.

BulkSupplements.com was also the cheapest and highest quality for Taurine.

3 Likes

I’m interviewing Nathan Price, Chief Scientific Officer of Thorne Healthtech in 2 weeks. Any questions for Nathan?

He is a coauthor of Age of Scientific Wellness. It’s about “systems biology”. They advocate the use of genomics and blood work to personalize medicine.

Here’s an article from Nature on “imprecision medicine” setting the stage for Nathan’s book.
https://www.nature.com/articles/520609a

1 Like

Here’s an interesting article from McGill University going after Huberman’s love of supplements. It’s a good sanity check.

3 Likes

Let us know. Any info on Micro Ingredients? I’ve used their powders before.

1 Like

It seems BullSuplements is very good for their amino acid powders which is what I buy from them. I guess the quality really depends on where they source their supplies from. It can be good or bad. But, I feel safe enough buying my amino acids through them.

2 Likes