Who here still fasts? Has your thinking around fasting changed?

My first meal is around 12:30 to 3 PM. Normally it will consist of a whey-based protein drink, egg omelet, or occasionally, oatmeal with walnuts and blueberries. I eat dinner at 5 PM.
Because I always eat dinner with someone else it could be anything from spaghetti to steak.
I don’t claim my diet or eating window is optimal, it is just what I do.

6 Likes

Interesting, is this mostly a conjecture or have you also seen any studies supporting this concept?

Pure conjecture.
No idea if it makes any difference.
Just something I do as activated charcoal capsules are very cheap.

I have toyed with the idea of activated charcoal following meals taken with acarbose, for obvious reasons ;p

Got it, thanks for color.

This experiment and theoretical biology points in the direction that, when fasting, it is not only the restriction of total calories that is important for longevity. But also the experience of feeling hungry. Feeling hungry is in itself a biological signal that change our biology in a healthful direction, towards longevity. This is not directly translatable to humans, but it brings forward a new topic the do research on.“The hunger signal”.

“While it has been long understood that limiting the amount of food eaten can promote healthy aging in a wide range of animals, including humans, a new study has revealed that the feeling of hunger itself may be enough to slow aging.”

The feeling of hunger itself may slow aging in flies – ScienceDaily

I’m actually so hungry lately it’s annoying, ~2h after finishing a meal I feel hungry again

Is it the rapamycin? Or the acarbose? Both?

1 Like

Hmm… I take both. My appetite has decreased so I am eating less. Opposite reactions?

I start about 3:00-3:45pm and end at 16:30 OMAD every single day. I never feel hungry at all, don’t have naps and have good amounts of energy all daylong! My sleep score is good and feel nice and easy all time! My blood bio markers are ok, never have teeth issues. So for me N=1, it fits correctly!

Might also explain the benefit of red light therapy.

To look at hunger apart from dietary composition, they used a unique technique, activating neurons associated with the hunger drive in flies using exposure to red light, using a technique called ptogenetics. These flies consumed twice as much food than did flies who were not exposed to the light stimulus. The red-light activated flies also lived significantly longer than flies used as a control.

2 Likes