Top 3 Healthspan vs. Longevity approaches

Lithium as a top 3 for longevity? I need to read up on it again. I have some, but use only sporadically. Thanks for response.

I thought peyote would make the top 3?

You might want to check D 100 + Q 250x4 and NIH NIA ITP D+Q then - always been on my list with my prior Alz white whale…but I’m a bit wary of D for me personally especially already on rapa, last I recall…

For continuous use at the same dose in my situation, I’d probably expect these to be possible risks: Bone marrow suppression (grade 3-4 thrombocytopenia and neutropenia + anemia), grade 3-4 pleural effusion with a significant risk of infection, GI/brain bleeds, and small ICM/TIA/SJS-TEN risk are my primary concerns…not to mention a ton of possible drug-drug and drug-food interactions such that I’d probably just have to cut most of my drugs after consulting heme-onc, psych & pharm etc

Of course, 2d dosing may be tolerable for me, hard to say right now. But I’d at least get serial CV evaluation, serial thyroid, and serial CBC diff personally.

I wonder how the studies are doing so far for age>55-65 participants and @Basil_Dev:

Here’s more on research side:

Neuroendocrine studies in humans show it’s on increasing 5-HT neurotransmission, HPA system shows an unusual increase in the ACTH and cortisol response in dexamethasone/CRH test

https://www.nature.com/articles/1395913

My mouse said, "check it out, so I did.
Astonishingly: “The findings show that for women, high scores on humor’s cognitive component were associated with 48 percent less risk of death from all causes, a 73 percent lower risk of death from heart disease and an 83 percent lower risk of death from infection.”

Unfortuately for men not so much. This certainly should be on the top three for women’s healthspan.

“Dozens of studies have shown that people who have satisfying relationships with family, friends, and their community are happier, have fewer health problems, and live longer.”

Strengthen relationships for longer, healthier life - Harvard Health.

2 Likes

Actually, I probably should have put melatonin as number three on the life extension list.

I first became aware of lithium when I was living in Germany and bought some bottled water that featured lithium as one of its contents. Then I read about a Texas town that had less crime and violence because of the lithium content of their drinking water, and I thought, hey, maybe this could help with some of my road rage issues, you know, inappropriate swearing at perceived minor infractions of other drivers on the Autobahn.

Then I read some articles suggesting its role in antiaging.

“Rapamycin, trametinib, and lithium each target different kinases and transcription factors to extend lifespan”

Lithium reversed the (B) hypertriglyceridemia (n = 6 replicas of 5 flies per condition, 1-way ANOVA) and (C) starvation resistance induced by rapamycin (50 µM) (n = 75). (D) Lithium treatment significantly extended lifespan of both wDah and dilp2-3,5 mutant flies.

“but simultaneous treatment with both lithium and rapamycin reversed the dyslipidemia caused by rapamycin”

A triple drug combination targeting components of the nutrient-sensing network maximizes longevity.

Of course these were flies, but we like to stay ahead of the curve

https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.1913212116

“Moreover, lithium concentration in the drinking water of a large Japanese population has been associated with reduced all-cause mortality (Zarse et al., 2011), suggesting that lithium may be a bona fide anti-aging drug.”

From the article by Dr. Mikhail V. Blagosklonny that has been referenced many times on the forum.

“Later, perhaps, we may be able to consider further life extension through the use of low doses of pan-mTOR [196,197], mdm-2 [198,199] and MEK inhibitors [200,201], lithium [201,202], as well as next-generation rapalogs.”

[Rapamycin for longevity: opinion article - PMC]

2 Likes

An interesting paper, but as you mentioned, it is in flies, arthropods are not necessarily a bad test subject - but I rather see it in mammals i.e. dogs most likely. I would prefer to see optimal dosing determinations or at least reasoning unless you have a reference for it. Even something like lithium in water with CR in humans over decades would help a lot.

With my old Alz obsessions, I can tell you all about GSK-3 inhibitors and inositol pathway parts as well with bipolar pathophysiology (note inositol depletion hypothesis is not proven yet) - lithium appears to makes sense when indicated bipolar but we still don’t know for sure because of so many targets. Obviously, at bipolar doses it becomes a very narrow therapeutic window, as opposed to supplementation levels (although there are no RDAs since it is not currently considered a micronutrient) used even when accounting for different forms potentially affecting pharmacokinetics. I will also note for bipolar it is often extended release.

I will also note Lithium is a “dirty drug” and personally I prefer drugs with clear targets, testing GSK-3 inhibitors would be ideal IMO. I heard about Dr. B, but his recommendations are too daring for my tastes when it comes to specifically long-term metformin and lithium use. I don’t like messing off-target unless the effect size is massive with no alternatives.

Personally, I’m most concerned about drug-drug interactions hence the lithium serotonin mention, especially with my psych meds already on pushing me right around the optimal serotonin side - too much can lead to serotonin syndrome… it’s a curiosity to run by psychiatry though!

2 Likes

BTW, I may re-consider 1 mg Lithium at some point based on some guesses on a suggestive RDA of 1000 μg/day for a 70-kg adult …although out of curiosity - do you have third party testing for your source? I suspect many supplement sources aren’t really pure lithium orotate because it would be cheaper with chloride/carbonate

1 Like

I have been taking lithium in the form of chelated lithium orotate, 5 to 20 mg elemental lithium available.
I like it because it seems to limit extreme mood changes.
I believe the oratate form was first popularized by:
Dr. Hans Nieper of Germany

The Curious Man: The Life and Works of Dr. Hans Nieper. This book details the evolution and rise of metabolic medicine as a successful non-toxic alternative to toxic chemotherapy in the treatment of cancer and other life-threatening chronic diseases.
[(Amazon.com)]

1 Like

We have a sauna, also linked up to Ozone , it only takes one person but it’s perfect . We are now taking Rapamyacin and Senolytic Activator (Life Extension) I’m hoping for better vision for me and a healthier heart for my husband. We have 4 monthly blood work so will keep you posted

4 Likes

It looks like the CR mice that were fed once per day, fasted, did much better than the CR mice who had their meals distributed throughout the day.

5 Likes

I usually do a 45 min Zone 2 workout in the morning followed by a 20 min sauna session before taking 6 mg Rapamycin with breakfast. Does anyone have an idea if there’s is any downsides to my routine ?

Sounds perfect. That’s what I should be doing!

As for CR, weren’t there the two primate studies that Kaberlein and Attia discussed in one of their podcasts where they mentioned that CR for a typical American diet increased life expectancy, but CR for a healthy diet did not. My takeaway is that CR only works if your diet is not healthy (i.e. a normal American diet).

2 Likes