The microplastics thread. 195,500 particles/gm microplastics in apple? 126,150 particles/gm in broccoli, etc

Wouldn’t pay attention to any of this. I doubt diabetes, CVD, cancer nor dementia have been caused eating apples that had 195000 plastic particles. However, I do worry about the plastic particles in the air (mainly from burned rubber). Perhaps not yet a major health issue, but that I think is way more worrying than plastic particles in fruits or veggies.

All the more reasons to shed clothing while cooking.

It’s for health reasons of course. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, loved it when my girlfriend would wear nothing but a see-through blouse (my request btw, not her choice) while cooking. For unknown reasons to me, food tasted way better :smile:

3 Likes

Just want to share one thing that I saw in my life.
I met plenty of old folks, that LIVED inside plastic factories.
Some factory owners, started as operators, breathing monomers, and gradually become owner, and, with 90+ years, still lucid working. Youngers (60-70) with plenty of energy and still super active in work. Some of then of course, passed away old with normal age related causes. So the message that I want to write is: I understand that the “micro plastics” is probably not good for the body, BUT in my region, by my eyes, it is not bad also.

2 Likes

Just like there are plenty of centenarians in China, like Chen Ning Yang or Song Ping… That still doens’t prevent air pollution in China from being unequivocally horrible for you… (and the research showing that air pollution in [north] China takes years off your life)

I would guess that microplastics aren’t as bad as air pollution, but “guessing” isn’t enough and their levels in the environment are increasing…

What is your apoB? Why would anyone worry about microplastics when they have above optimal levels of of proven atherogenic particles?

2 Likes

Uh, low. Also no family history and vegetarian. Also PCSK9i will become way more easier to target in 10yr

Microplastics are MUCH harder to avoid

Also paying attention to one doesn’t make it any harder to pay attention to the other

Also they both have a common/easy solution: semaglutide/CR

3 Likes

CAC positive rates at 99%+ at 70+ suggest otherwise. I don’t know what low means. Low levels are still atherogenic. Proven harmful particles > not proven. There’s probably an appeal to nature fallacy somewhere here.

When Bryan had his Q&A they ignored my question about microplastics, answered the other ones. Nature will kill people who have above optimal apoB levels. Nature is very cold, like human society. If you want to outsmart death you should think about this carefully imo.

BRB, taking 5 mg rosuvastatin.

3 Likes

Compounded gains, are you going to accept 10 yrs of atherogenesis ?

1 Like

@AlexKChen you’re going to love this news…

3 Likes

You cannot escape micro plastics.

as highly processed protein products (like fish sticks, chicken nuggets, tofu, and plant-based burgers, among others) contained significantly more microplastics per gram than minimally processed products (items like packaged wild Alaska pollock, raw chicken breast, and others). However, no statistical difference was found between high-processed products and fresh-caught products

Notably, across all samples, nearly half (44%) of the identified microplastics were fibers, which is consistent with other studies suggesting that fibers are the most prevalent form of microplastic in the environment. About a third of the microplastics (30%) were plastic fragments.

Other polymers such as PA, PP, PS, and PVC, which are not the packaging material but also identified with significant numbers, are most likely introduced before or during water production. PP and PA, which share the same broad distribution of sizes, are widely used as equipment components or coagulant aids in water treatment (78). Particularly, PA is the most popular membrane material used in reverse osmosis (79), which is a common water purification method shared by all three brands. PVC and PS, which have a unique size distribution favoring small nanoplastics, might indicate a contamination source even earlier. PVC is identified to be the most abundant polymer type in raw water from microplastic analysis (77). PS is known to be used as backbone material for ion exchange resins in water purification (80).

Other polymers such as PA, PP, PS, and PVC, which are not the packaging material but also identified with significant numbers, are most likely introduced before or during water production. PP and PA, which share the same broad distribution of sizes, are widely used as equipment components or coagulant aids in water treatment (78). Particularly, PA is the most popular membrane material used in reverse osmosis (79), which is a common water purification method shared by all three brands. PVC and PS, which have a unique size distribution favoring small nanoplastics, might indicate a contamination source even earlier. PVC is identified to be the most abundant polymer type in raw water from microplastic analysis (77). PS is known to be used as backbone material for ion exchange resins in water purification (80). It is possible large particles of PVC or PS get removed by the RO membranes in the later step of the water treatment, leaving mostly nano populations.

The majority of particles aren’t from the bottle… They’re from the treated water… PA and PS aren’t even in the bottle

1 Like

There is so much microplastics everywhere, and it doesn’t matter what you personally do as it will still get to you, I don’t mind this much anymore, except the easy things like not microwaving in plastic containers. You can’t really measure it, and it all becomes so vague. There’s more important things to think about, what do you think?

2 Likes

I tend to agree… we need some simple to implement action ideas, like avoiding plastic container use in microwaves, avoiding use of plastic cutting boards (?), avoiding use of “bottled water” and their plastic containers… not sure of what else… (ideas welcome).

Sadly, its part of the environment now, and the harm is still pretty undefined from what I can tell. There are only so many things we can worry about, and control.

5 Likes

I bought each member of the family a stainless steel lead free insulating tumbler. We use them every day to prevent our drinks from getting anything they shouldn’t. We bought the Ohelo brand from the UK (but made in China).

2 Likes

Any with nonplastic lids?

==
it’s worth doing a comparative study of workers in cotton/wood factories vs those in plastic factories. Both suffer illnesses at high enough exposure levels

Scientists are just beginning to understand the health risks associated with microplastic exposureTrusted Source, but growing evidenceTrusted Source suggests the plastics can accumulate in the body and trigger oxidative stress, inflammation,[ insulin resistance](https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412022002008#:~:text=Existing%20studies%20have%20found%20that,%2C%20and%20phthalates%20(Katariaet%20al.), and liver issues.

2 Likes

Has to be separated out with a filter "standard coffee filter " (isnt that plastic too)

No, you can have paper or metal mesh filters. I use a metal mesh.

Results showed that NP size and surface chemistry affected translocation, with 50 nm nanoparticles having a higher translocation rate (up to 7.8%) than 100 nm NPs (0.8%).

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/ebiom/article/PIIS2352-3964(23)00467-X/fulltext

8 Likes