The four best longevity interventions?

So he is not up to current male organ growth predictions of 24% - you get by doing nothing. LOL

I have to admire his honesty in sharing his deficiencies.

3 Likes

Your chart gives one star to CR and 3 stars for rapa if given late in life. This is incorrect. CR certainly doesn’t work as well at increasing absolute lifespan when started late than when started earlier, but the magnitude of the remaining lifespan increase is similar when started in old vs. young, and the absolute or remaining increase is greater for CR than it is for rapa when started at the same age. Compare:
40% CR initiated at 19 months of age
“CR extended mean lifespan from 30.7 ± 0.7 (SE) to 35.4 ± 0.8 months (P = .000017) and extended maximum lifespan from 37.6 to 43.6 months (P = 0.000056)”

Rapamycin begun at 19-20 months of age (ITP)
“Expressed as mean lifespan, the effect sizes were 9% for males and 13% for females in the pooled data set.”
Masimum lifespan
Females
Rapamycin 1,245 versus controls 1,094
Males
Rapamycin 1,179 versus controls 1,078

Note also that the mice in the CR study were male, and that the extension of lifespan was greater than for either male or female mice given rapamycin.

(Yes, two different studies, different mouse hybrids, etc. Still).

3 Likes

Thanks for the very informative post! I really appreciate it. One reason why I added one star on it was because of Matt Kaeberlein summary in the topic where he says that it works in around 1/3 of the cases. Is that aligned with your view also?

3 Likes

No: it works in almost all mouse strains, and the ones in which it doesn’t work (or works minimally) are serious freaks. The idea that 1/3 of mouse strains either don’t respond to CR or have their lifespans shortened is based on a very flawed genetic study that has somehow fooled a lot of very intelligent people in the geroscience community.

4 Likes

Really great information! Does there exist any study pointing this out or something else because it seems as you say a big misconception if this is the case. I believe what you are saying but do you have a source that it does not work only in 1/3.of the cases?

Should I change the stars to three instead of one?

1 Like

I use to be a big fan of Dave and Bulletproof; I appreciate his trail-blazing the industry in biohacking our health. But now that we have so much information available via the net, he has become an obsolete source. He, like other older influencers, is trying to reinvent themselves, hanging on to selling or endorsing products that have little to no research behind them, inevitably making them, a "has-been’ in the field of aging.

5 Likes

It’s very sad development when it becomes to sellish everything and that makes it also hard for the users to know what is sales information and not.

3 Likes

Its a difficult thing as to how to assess the arguments. If someone has a financial advantage in arguing a particular viewpoint then one has to have some scepticism as to their arguments. However, if someone is not really affected by whether or not people agree with their arguments then they may be so relaxed about the situation that they do not persuade anyone.

4 Likes

AKG has a very small effect on lifespan (though a larger effect on frailty) in female mice, and a negligible effect in males.

3 Likes

Does it? Even if what they say is true, the fact that a “NASA scientist” developed and patented a device doesn’t mean NASA ever used or endorsed it. Remember, Durk Pearson used to lay claim to being a “NASA scientist,” and I think you can be pretty sure astronauts were not swallowing his fistfulls of antioxidants or turning themselves orange-tan with canthaxanthin.

5 Likes

That’s arginine AKG, not calcium AKG, and as you say, the fact that AAKG is useless as an ergogenic doesn’t say anything about its value as an anti-aging, anti-frailty supplement.

3 Likes

Old thread. But wanna chime in and say that electromagnetic whatever always seemed like total hooey to me too but I’ve recently come to change my mind. See:

Also a ton of studies referenced here:

2 Likes

Well, I already had a grounding rod, wire and drill bit. Only needed to order:

I wonder if anybody makes grounding shoes that have spikes going into the earth for traction and then attached to a sock with the silver fibers. That would be good for hiking in the wild.

I agree it sounds like hooey, maybe I’m getting desperate.

2 Likes

I bought just the pillow case as my head is always touching the pillow and electrons flow if you give them a path — in theory. It’s going to be delivered soon though I’m on vacation in Europe and won’t get to try till September.

This video was pretty interesting — I recommend watching with 1.5-1.75x speed because life is short and they talk slow.

Maybe talking slow is a side effect of being too grounded…

I’ve heard hippies talk about this for quite some time now, either they’re all just very grounded, or there’s a confounder :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Started on 1.25mg of selegeline today (age=44) :blush:. Plan on using it for life. Split into four, but not looking equal size, but thought “perfection is the enemy of the good”. Will do the four days a week protocol to avoid seratonin sickness (on a SRI)

2 Likes