The dark side of rapamycin

i take it to lower inflammation. i took it three different 10 week bouts with many months in between so far and everytime it helped me getting rid of tendon injuries very effectively. mtorc1 inhibition seems to help. mtorc2 inhibition obviously has a different effect inhibiting the immune and helping the organ transplant rejection.

2 Likes

I think the goal of taking rapamycin weekly instead of daily is to reduce a hyper functional immune system back to normal vs an organ transplant recipient who’s goal is to suppress the immune system below normal. So I don’t think bacterial infections are an issue if you are dosing intermittently and in fact you may be more resistant since a hyper functional immune system can also lower immunity.

4 Likes

More new research on protein’s affect on muscle loss:

5 Likes

I wonder if rapa by shutting off mtor for a while counteracts this sort of “anabolic resistance” that develops.

Maybe periodic fasting, would do the same.

Of course, resistance training seems to trump all.

1 Like

It is an association study which does not establish any kind of cause and effect.

2 Likes

True - but some other data I’ve just come across:

Pankaj Kapahi (Buck Institute)

Just want to add the results are similar in mice and flies- I was a bit surprised when I saw this in our lab- basically in the muscle you see that lower protein intake upregulates a lot of structural proteins in the muscle- why? - one thing we see is that animals on low protein are more active.

and

Very recently published meta-analysis of 69 randomized controlled trials testing the effects of protein consumption on muscle strength.

Summary- There are no benefits to increased protein consumption on muscle strength unless combined with resistance exercise. There are no benefits to increased protein consumption on muscle strength above 1.5g/kg body weight, even when combined with resistance exercise. Increasing protein consumption from 0.8g/kg (RDA) to 1.5g/kg adds only an additional 5% increase in strength compared to resistance exercise alone. The average time duration of the studies in this meta-analysis was 22 weeks.

“With resistance training, muscle strength increases at the rate of 0.72% (95% CI 0.40–1.04%) per 0.1 g/kg body weight [BW]/d increase in total protein intake up to 1.5 g/kg BW/d, but no further gains are achieved thereafter.”

“Muscle strength cannot be increased by protein supplementation only without resistance training.”

5 Likes

yes I would call it bullshit after observing what a higher protein intake did to my body. For years I tried to build muscle and always failed until I tried the carnivore diet

2 Likes

It was the same with this guy. Oh wait … he’s a vegetarian.

3 Likes

Thank you for those responses. That was very helpful!

1 Like

Besides my personal anecdote there are of course literally thousands of studies that show that more protein, especially the ones rich in BCAA improve body composition and can revert osteosarcopenia

4 Likes

If I do not get enough protein in my diet, then I supplement with protein. I agree with you on this one.

Maybe we could agree, that everything has it’s time. I enjoyed the book ‘the switch’, where it sais, that people should fast for an extended time and feast after that.

I personally have a lot of veggies, herbs, curry’s, mushrooms and I do a lot of fermentation (traditional Sauerkraut, nattō, coco-joghurt, Kefir and kombucha, tempeh). I have meat, fish or cheese only on rare occasions. I also supplement whatever is needed according to my bloodwork.

2 Likes

Yes! It should be very obvious that protein alone does not protect against sarcopenia; what is needed is resistance training. That’s the problem with the previous study you cited - it does not properly control for exercise. “High protein intake associated with sarcopenia independent of exercise level” would be a very surprising result indeed.

3 Likes