Sulforaphane inhibits mTOR in an NRF2-independent manner

I do take Moringa everyday.
The podcast is at WiseAthletes.com but I’ll post the Moringa episode here when it’s out.

Thanks for the question. I’ll ask.

2 Likes

Rhonda Patrick has covered this a lot, in podcasts and other ways and also put together his summary:

2 Likes

They are a local Oakland success story … that is helping a lot of people in Africa also. I think it was started by some men and women who identified the opportunity while they were in the peace corp. in Africa. I’ve got a friend who has consulted with them, they sound like a really good company. But… I suspect they don’t know that much about the science behind it, other than knowing that its “good for you”…

I would ask them about the scientists that they interact with that know the NRF2 pathway extremely well, and perhaps interview one of those people.

I would also ask how / if they can make it taste better? I like the purported health benefits of Moringa powder, but have to say the taste is pretty bad, and its hard to mix into a smoothie without a lot of better tasting things.

4 Likes

Thanks. The good news is Dr Jed Fahey will also be on the podcast. He’ll know all there is to know.

I haven’t noticed the taste issue. I put it in a shake with cacao (and a lot more). Everything tastes chocolatey. But I’ll ask the experts.

Cruciferous vegetables have sulphoraphanes, with broccoli having the most. Fresh broccoli sprouts has by far most of all. I eat 50 - 100 gram of the latter whenever a new batch is ready. Sulphoraphanes may be anti- cancer too.

3 Likes

Will add the numbers. 100 grams of broccoli contains over 100 mg of sulphoraphanes, 100 grams of fresh broccoli sprouts a stupendous 1200 mg.

1 Like

May I ask how many grams of moringa you are taking?

Dosage discussion from Kuli Kuli website

“Research shows that taking moringa powder every day, even 50 mg/kg of body weight, successfully reduces oxidative stress in the body–that’s the equivalent of approximately 1.5 teaspoons for someone weighing 150 pounds. [5] On the other end of the spectrum, animal studies using Moringa oleifera extract revealed delayed tumor growth and increased life span at a dosage of 500 mg/kg of body weight.”

2 Likes

Who here is still using sulforaphane?

I add Moringa to my periodic morning smoothies…

1. Does Nrf2 Play a Role of a Master Regulator of Mammalian Aging?

2. Role of the Transcription Factor NRF2 in Neurodegenerative Disorders

3. Broccoli Sprouts Improve Health and Extend Lifespan in Rats

2 Likes

why moringa as a source over something like Avmacol ?

I’m using astaxanthin for NRF2 activation.

1 Like

I use Jarrow BroccoMax. I had also used Life Extension’s Broccoli and Cruciferous Blend for a while (recently discontinued, I think) but the main ingredient was glucoraphanin rather than sulforaphane.

2 Likes

Moringa is pretty high in oxalates so I stopped out of caution

1 Like

So are green leafy vegetables, unless you are prone to calcium oxalate kidney stones I am not sure if it’s a big issue.

1 Like

I avoid spinach specifically due to the oxalates so if moringa has the same amount, I’d be cautious about taking it every day

Good “nutrition made simple” video on kidney stones. These credible docs say don’t avoid oxylates instead drink lots of water when you eat oxylates and eat calcium to bind to oxylates. Many other recommendations as well.

2 Likes

I have switched from BROC to Avmacol for cost savings for Sulforaphane.

1 Like

I saw that when it came out but even they don’t say to have an insane amount of them every day. I don’t think there’s a strong consensus there