Suggestions for ITP drugs to test

That would be fantastic! Let us know how much work it is - and if we need to crowd-source the effort - post a message here in the forums and we can get a group together perhaps, to work on it!

4 Likes

It’s really easy, anyone can do it. You just email the organization and say “This is an FOIA request, I want this document”. That’s it.

4 Likes

Request done, I asked for:

All the proposals (PDF or Word file) submitted to the NIA since January 1st, 2022, as part of the ITP’s “Request for Proposals”,
The list of all interventions under consideration for the ITP’s 2024 cohort,
The list of all interventions under consideration for the ITP’s 2025 cohort.

The NIH’s average processing time for 2022 was:

• 52 working days for simple requests
  • 215 working days for complex requests

So it’ll take time…

6 Likes

DNP is definitely a weird choice in hindsight :rofl:

2 Likes

Acknowledgment of FOIA Case:

7 Likes

Apparently GlyNAC will be part of the next ITP cohort: Glycine+NAC vs Rapamycin - #231 by adssx

5 Likes

Reminder (I didn’t even know about it… Thanks @invivo for the information…), there’s also the CITP (Caenorhabditis Intervention Testing Program):

Might be worth applying to both the ITP and the CITP.

2 Likes

We’re all familiar with the ITP results, but what are the results of the CITP? Anything actionable?

See here: Impact of worm genetic background on lifespan extension result

3 Likes

Any update on the FOIA?
I wonder about finasteride, if it has ever been considered in the ITP.

1 Like

Finasteride wasn’t tested, I saw similar drug (probably Dutasteride) that increased lifespan in worms by 20% - but it was only in 1 study - and not ITP

2 Likes

No news… I’ll post it here whenever they get back to me.

1 Like

I was wondering if anyone has tried to submit it to the ITP.

I forgot this regarding FOIA:

52 working days for simple requests
215 working days for complex requests

1 Like

Answer:

This is the final response to your Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request addressed to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) National Institute on Aging (NIA) FOIA Office, dated January 29, 2024, and received in this office on the same day. Your request was referred to the NIH FOIA Office because of our responsibilities under FOIA. You requested a copy of:

1. All the proposals (PDF or Word file) submitted to the NIA since January 1st, 2022, as part of
    the ITP’s “Request for Proposals”
  2. The list of all interventions under consideration for the ITP’s 2024 cohort
  3. The list of all interventions under consideration for the ITP’s 2025 cohort

I have determined to withhold the documents in its entirety pursuant to Exemption 4 of the FOIA, 5 U.S.C. § 552 (b)(4); and section 5.31 (d), and of the HHS FOIA Regulations, 45 CFR Part 5. Exemption 4 protects from disclosure trade secrets and commercial or financial information that is privileged and confidential. In this case, please note that we are prohibited by statute from releasing business and technical proposals as well as records supporting any unfunded grant applications.

Does anyone understand the grounds for refusal? I have 90 days to appeal.

1 Like

I think Richard Miller has mentioned this before… many of the proposals are from companies, etc. that have proprietary information in their submissions, and they want that data to remain proprietary. So - I guess as part of the process the ITP agrees not to release that info.

But, @adssx thanks for your efforts on this! It would seem that we would at least get the information on non-proprietary compounds , and non-commercially related compounds? Perhaps if we scoped our request more narrowly?

Perhaps if we made the same request with the addendum that it not include “disclosure trade secrets and commercial or financial information that is privileged and confidential”

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll appeal and ask them to at least release “non-proprietary compounds and non-commercially related compounds”. Unless there’s a better way to express that?

2 Likes

I would also like the ITP to test berberine.

FOIA appeal sent… I’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

I don’t know the US law, but I have done various appeals including FOI in the UK.

If they have a statutory exemption I would expect that to trump any other argument.

In Europe (including in the UK), human rights law trumps statutory exemption when it comes to access to public information. (I actually sued the French gov before the European Court of Human Rights on this ground: HUDOC - European Court of Human Rights )

In the US, I don’t know. But in any case:

1. Which statute specifically prevents them from releasing the information?
  2. Are all requested documents “business and technical proposals” or “records supporting any unfunded grant applications”?