Statins inhibit coenzyme Q10 AND GGP/MK4 AND dolichol AND N-linked glycosylation (+ other negative effects)

It seems like the evidence is way better when you combine it with selenium.

This is my experience too. More muscle tightness, especially in the legs. It resolved when I started taking CoQ10. I agree it is a subtle difference.

Use Bempedoic Acid. It doesn’t affect CoQ10.

The statins, as you know, do affect coenzyme Q10 . Bempedoic acid doesn’t.

According to the manufacturer’s labeling, there are no known contraindications to bempedoic acid. Serum uric acid levels have been observed to increase in patients taking bempedoic acid.

2 Likes

I was on simvastatin for over 10 years and developed peripheral neuropathy which is a rare side effect:

Apparently, CoQ10 deficiency due to inhibition of ubiquinone synthesis is the mechanism behind this process. I stopped simvastatin and have been taking CoQ10 and Vitamin E for the past 3-4 years with gradual improvement. I am on Repatha which had successfully lowered my LDL. Repatha does not have the same anti-inflammatory effects as statins and outcomes data shows only a small reduction in cardiovascular events compared to statins or combined statin plus Repatha:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8094613/pdf/CD011748.pdf

I have researched bempedoic acid and am still a bit leery of potential side effects given my prior history.

2 Likes

Can you just take several times a week to achieve meaningful benefits?

Carbs carbs STAY AWAY FROM BREAD (even acarbose can’t blunt all the apoB/TG synthesis that then turns into LDL after)

I experimented with eating lots of mr tortilla and Ezekiel bread with acarbose but now am cutting it out for beans

2 Likes

I take geranylgeraniol instead of Q10. Statins inhibit GG which is used to make Q10, K2, build muscle, testosterone, et al.

2 Likes

Thank you Rick and welcome to the group. Do you get your GG from a specific supplement or are you just eating Annatto seeds / powder? The seeds route would seem to be the only way I can find it in the UK (where I am).

1 Like

New Zealand company that sells GG

2 Likes

Thank you Joseph, very useful.

1 Like

They use GG-Gold from American River Nutrition made here in MA.
That’s a long detour to go through New Zealand!

1 Like

I now use Designs for Health Annatto-E GG which also uses the same source.

1 Like

@Joseph_Lavelle BTW is it on your FullScript portal?
I’m waiting for the incoming sale to order a bunch of stuff.

1 Like

Yes it is! That’s where I get it.

1 Like

Hi, I purchase my GG and Eannatto from Wellness Extract in Canada/USA. Although I do purchase other items from Xtend-Life, their GG is more expensive. Dr. Barrie Tan explains how the CoQ10 molecule is very large and so taken exogenously very little is absorbed. It is far superior to have your body make it endogenously.