Rules of Thumb?

You really can’t really rely on Aging.ai IMHO. My HBA1C and LDL levels shot into high territory but my age did not change. I hope Aging.ai is correct, but it makes me doubtful.

2 Likes

Right. Aging.ai says I’m 27 (vs 61). I don’t think so.

1 Like

I don’t like generalizing or shot gun approaches. In 2021 1 in 5 deaths were due to heart disease. It’s a big problem, but it’s not everyone. Look at your own risk in particular and take aim there.

Study your family history carefully . In my family, no one is having CV events, they all die of cancer. So most of my research is geared towards the lifestyle, medications, and supplements that will prevent cancer. So things like IP6, melatonin, and a whole variety of anti inflammatory foods and supplements are high on my list. I’ll add or subtract from it never according to how they make me" feel," but rather any new studies that pop up.

That doesn’t mean that I ignore CVD, that would be foolish, and I take pine bark with gotu kola as well as citrus bergamot regularly, but it’s not my primary focus. Cancer is my primary concern and if I need to take anywhere from 1-100 pills a day to prevent it, then so be it.

Just as important are the small things like sleep, circadian rhythm, managing stress, brief periods of sun , and loving relationships. They’re not minor

11 Likes

One of the difficulties arises when people are not clear as to the mechanism that they are trying to adjust. One of my targets is HDAC (Histone Deacetylase). This is a complex target as there are a number of HDAC enzymes divided into a number of classes/categories.

Also although the inhibition effect is generally dose dependent I don’t want to take too much of any one HDACi because of the side effects. My solution is to take more than one HDACi in smaller quantities on the reasonable assumption (at least for experimental purposes) that the effects would be cumulative, but the side effects limited for any one molecule.

At the moment I have a list of 20 different HDACis that I intend trying later this year (potentially all at once although that depends on dosage and half lives).

Hence I am a long way off a rule of thumb of limiting the number of supplements.

3 Likes

what are the top 5 HDAC inhibitors that on your list?

what are the top 5 HDAC inhibitors that on your list?

I don’t know which are the best. My primary quartet is Curcumin, Pterostilbene, Quercetin and Berberine. They may not be the best.

1 Like

I’m not well trained at all right now so I haven’t looked in detail how to measure this. For strength, a grip strength dynamometer could be enough. Of course the measurement isn’t as useful in scenarios of specifically training for that test. If you have trained for a long time you can pay for a VO2Max test. Or it’s probably possible to do something similar to a cooper test on for example a bike.There are percentiles for these two measurements online, and you can work to be 90th percentile for your age or 20-30 year old. I think the former is most realistic for most of us.

3 Likes

I have not seen much on why people increase from a “standard” 6-8mg. Your proposal of when to decrease and or stop makes sense.

2 Likes

Here’s a useful RoT

The phrase “That which you most need will be found where you least want to look” is rooted in Alchemy, a branch of Ancient Philosophy. In Latin, the phrase is “In sterquiliniis invenitur” which translates to “in filth it will be found”.

I have interpreted this to mean that I am reluctant to examine my addictions for root causes of problems. Case in point: it has taken me 2 years to give up dairy in search of lower inflammation. Of course it might not help but I couldn’t bring myself to try for two years. I kept forgetting, or I had just bought more Greek yogurt so I didn’t want to waste it, etc. Perhaps you see yourself in this pattern of behavior. Well, I finally gave it up a week ago, so now I’ll find out if dairy was a problem.

5 Likes

I summarized my thoughts regarding what’s worth checking before and after including a intervention: Rapamycin | Facebook

Roughly speaking you need to look for: i) improved human longevity in RCTs (prospective); ii) associated with improved human longevity (retrospective); iii) improving blood markers or other metrics across the population iv) making mice live longer v) improving blood markers and other metrics for you.

Arguably the last one trumps everything, but it is not all.

3 Likes

Whoa, where can we get the 17-alpha-estradiol hair gel? Are you taking it orally?

1 Like

17α-Estradiol is also sold in some countries for topical use for hair regrowth. Galderma has a product called Ell-Cranell that it sells around the world for his purpose. It doesn’t seem to be particularly effective in this application, similar to minoxidil.

People are using it topically as its absorbed via the skin.

More here: 17 Alpha Estradiol: Use and Dosing Experiences

3 Likes

Thanks for this info. Do you know of a place to order some online? I didn’t see any capacity to do that on the Galderma site.

There are many sites in Europe that sell it… here is one: Ell-Cranell With Alfatradiol 100 ml - ibspot.com

Just search on Alfatradiol.

1 Like

Pull-ups has a good reputation as an exercise, and could used to track progress over time, among other exercises. I would guess most people can’t do a single pull-up (I can’t either, have done so in the past). That was when I was kind of interested in bodybuilding in my early 20’s…

There exist pull-up bars which one can place in doorways.
I’m going to start with chin-ups to increase my strength until I can do one pull-up and then start doing them as well. (If someone can’t do chin-ups, it’s possible to do a negative chin-up, meaning getting up to the bar with a chair then lowering slowly from the bar).

This is the initial physical test for the marines, I would guess someone who can pass the physical for the U.S military would have strength for daily life as well. Of course running is a high-impact one so could be altered with something else.

4 Likes

Just hanging from the bar, starting later with Australian rows and progressing to assisted (rubber bands) pull ups is also a good progression in terms of strength.

2 Likes

Well, I can still do the plank :grin:

2 Likes

Ha-ha! I also can still do the plank! I also can do 2 push ups. No pull ups though. I can brisk walk 1 mile for 20. Need to exercise more for staying alive longer!

1 Like

Ah - great to hear you can still do the plank. Now - we all just need to practice a bit to beat this woman in Montreal:

And tips on how to do it from the world record holder:

3 Likes

How about a wall sit? How long?

https://www.bloodpressureuk.org/news/news/planks-and-wall-sits-best-exercise-for-lowering-blood-pressure-study-says.html

“Performing 4 x 2 minutes of wall sits, with 2-minutes’ rest in between, three times per week, is an effective way to reduce your blood pressure,” said O’Driscoll. “They should be done alongside other exercise modes, to provide the maximum range of exercise choices rather than limiting them.”

Results 270 randomised controlled trials were ultimately included in the final analysis, with a pooled sample size of 15 827 participants. Pairwise analyses demonstrated significant reductions in resting SBP and DBP following aerobic exercise training (−4.49/–2.53 mm Hg, p<0.001), dynamic resistance training (–4.55/–3.04 mm Hg, p<0.001), combined training (–6.04/–2.54 mm Hg, p<0.001), high-intensity interval training (–4.08/–2.50 mm Hg, p<0.001) and isometric exercise training (–8.24/–4.00 mm Hg, p<0.001). As shown in the network meta-analysis, the rank order of effectiveness based on the surface under the cumulative ranking curve (SUCRA) values for SBP were isometric exercise training (SUCRA: 98.3%), combined training (75.7%), dynamic resistance training (46.1%), aerobic exercise training (40.5%) and high-intensity interval training (39.4%). Secondary network meta-analyses revealed isometric wall squat and running as the most effective submodes for reducing SBP (90.4%) and DBP (91.3%), respectively.

I tried it. Can only do a minute and a half, one time. Will try to work up.

4 Likes