Risk of mouth sores - lower with film-coated pills?

I have read a few posts on this forum in whch some people are saying that they have had sores in their mouth as a result of taking Rapamycin. I don’t know for sure but I suspect that this might be because the cells in the mouth are being exposed to a high local concentration of Rapamycin when the pills are directly touching them and are therefore possibly getting infected due to the lower local immunity.

I suspect that this might not be a problem with film-coated pills because they will be protected until they get to the stomach where the Rabamycin will dispurse before it can come ito contact with any cells in the body.

What do people think of what I have said here?

Is anyone taking film-coated Rapamycin but has still had mouth sores?

1 Like

I use coated pills… have never had a mouth sore in 2.5 years… rapamycin doses from 6mg to 58 mg.

I thought someone in the PEARL and one in another clinical trial posted mouth… sores. Assuming they were using pharmaceutical rapamycin that is coated.

1 Like

No - I don’t think this is the case. All the standard pills that most of us take - both the Rapamune brand name drug, and the generics, are all coated or otherwise designed (using nanocrystal technology as outlined here: Rapamycin and NanoCrystal Formulations ) to help prevent the rapamycin from being destroyed in the stomach, so that it gets to the small intestine and becomes systemically available (and thus effective).

And all these tablets have an increased risk of canker sores compared to placebo.

3 Likes

Hi RapAdmin

Thank you very much for letting me know.

1 Like

FYI. This has been discussed here before but check into SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE (SLS) in case it is a cause of mouth ulcers.

https://www.hinsdaledental.com/blog/5-toothpaste-ingredients-to-avoid/

“SLS is a detergent found in many toothpastes. It is used to create the foamy feeling that you associate with cleaning your teeth. Unfortunately, SLS can cause skin irritation, and it aggressively irritates mouth ulcers.

Although SLS doesn’t cause a reaction in everyone, if you notice an increase in mouth ulcers, chapped lips, or skin irritation from your toothpaste, look to see if it contains SLS. If it does, throw it out and find a brand that is SLS-free.”

1 Like