Resistance Training: The muscle miracle: can I build enough in my 60s to make it to 100 – even though I’ve never weight-trained?

Appreciate your experience, but it’s still an n of 1.

1 Like

Lots of variables but it easy to tell if it’s working. Start lifting regularly. If you don’t get stronger, try new stuff: sleep, alcohol, gut health / inflammation, exercises, reps, weight, calories, protein, boost testosterone

If you are gaining strength but putting on fat, you are eating too much.

If you are gaining strength but not putting on muscle, be patient.

Learn to like it. Have fun.

1 Like

An N=1 of course @KarlT but evidence is asymmetrical. In this case, a single counterexample establishes that the need for 1.5-2x protein is not universal and therefore increases the likelihood that our understanding is incomplete (too incomplete to support issuing prescriptions) and other factors are in play. In fact, the counterevidence known to me alone is far from N=1. @desertshores’s may be reporting experience not completely dissimilar to mine and I knew many older athletes in my previous gym who believed that protein requirements are overstated, drawn more on molecular than clinical analysis.

This topic is of utmost interest to me. I’m 63 and interested in having as much muscle hypertrophy as practically possible, with no TRT, no steroids, no EAAs, and accepting the use of a moderate amount of creatine.
I find that the best reference for muscle hypertrophy is Brad Schoenfeld’s book. I have the 1st edition, must order the second one.

3 Likes

A critical issue in my pursuit of muscle hypertrophy was inflammation of connective tissue, mainly tendons and ligaments. I cannot train as much as I want nor go as heavy as I want, due to the fact that this will easily cause tendonitis and other nasty stuff. Nevertheless, the basic principle of Brad Schoenfeld is that any loads will cause hypertrophy, as far as the set goes to failure, in a few words the exercise must stress the muscle. MGF (mechano-growth factor) is the local form of IGF-1 which, following resistance exercise, contributes in activating mTOR in skeletal muscle.
Protein is necessary in variable amounts, although proper activation of the mechano-sensors in cells will promote muscle anabolism with an amount of protein which is reasonable, given the absence of inhibitory signals (too much AMPK= little energy, and so on…).
It’s a fascinating world, I found that, after 25 years of forced inactivity, at 57 I had to find out ta specific strategy to counteract the damage done by inactivity (my bad in not having understood that even very light exercise is better than no exercise at all).

2 Likes

To answer the title question, can I build enough in my 60s…,
of course, it depends on the individual. I think it is not impossible, for some people it would be easier, for those who are more frail it needs to be done with many cautions and very gradually, maybe not reaching a high level of musculature, but enough to be functional and efficient.
The slower the approach the best, remembering that there are techniques that allow to leverage even pretty light loads.

2 Likes

You’re saying that a single outlier is enough to cancel out results from scientific studies and prevent recommendations based on those studies?

Schoenfeld and Galpin are clear experts in this field. Probably should add Layne Norton.

2 Likes

Of course not. Nothing approximating that.

Long-Term Resistance Exercise Increases Autophagy

This was shown in a meta-analysis of human studies.

In this systematic review, the researchers analyzed the results of 26 studies assessing the autophagic response to exercise in humans. The studies measured various autophagy markers in skeletal muscles, peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs), or both in participants engaging in various exercise forms and intensities.

1 Like

I’m not yet 60 (I’m 53) so perhaps i shouldn’t get a vote here but as someone who went from being a guy who never lifted, to substantially turning my health around after a cancer battle a few years ago (and who has now been lifting heavy for about 15 months) i can tell you:

1. building muscle that looks like you’ve built muscle is HARD: you don’t just show up at the gym and get “swol”. It takes years and years of hard work. My wife wont do it because she’s scared of getting too big, as if she’ll lift one weight and muscles will pop out of her shoulders and she’ll grow a beard.

2. you’ll get much stronger very fast: i don’t look like a muscular guy, butt i can out-squat a friend of mine who was a UFC fighter. Push it and you’ll see.

3. it is hard work but it is completely worth it — please do it! It changes everything about your health. I feel better all the time, i am more positive, i carry myself more upright and solid, tasks are easier, etc. For instance, my hormones seem to have come back by themselves.

4. if you are physically unable to lift heavy (and my understanding is that the lifting of heavy weights is the hormesis that drives muscle building and bone densification and other physiological changes) i might consider Kaatsu — it was developed specifically for rehabilitating bedridden patients.

Sorry to hear of your heart attack. I’m not sure if i would take the risk of heavy lifting with a heart attack. That’s a personal choice. Maybe kaatsu would allow the resistance without too much load?

5 Likes

It is not even necessary to lift heavy weights. By understanding the theory of muscle hypertrophy it is possible to trigger the same growth mechanisms by lifting relatively light loads.
Of course, by heavy lifting we can spare time (lesser reps) and homework, whereas going to failure with lesser loadings requires more time and reasoning.
The real big drawback of heavy weights is that they can elevate substantially the likelihood of injury or ligaments inflammation, which may be a huge setback for resistance training, especially so when no more young, at 60 I found myself in another world, all what I did when 30 did not work any longer, I had to rethink all my strategy about resistance training.

2 Likes

@ KarlT: They are all very good, Schoenfeld is the acknowledged master, and the others cited are the disciples.

1 Like

Kaatsu = blood flow restriction

This requires expert instruction but sounds very good. I do something else that feels similar (get a bigger than normal “pump”). I use maximum range of motion in my lifting, and I rest between sets in the fully expended range. I think that occludes the blood flow. In any case I get a massive pump from my lifts that allow it. I don’t use heavy weight…I aim for 15-20 reps per set ending at “failure” in my last set or two. I also start with a warmup set that is easy (½ to 2/3 the weight)

2 Likes

Definitely agree new strategies are essential when in our sixties. I would add it isn’t just heavy lifting that has to be evaluated. Any activity that promotes continuous inflammation will end up defeating the main purpose of exercise - to live a physical pain free existence. It takes much more thought and practice and analysis than at a younger age to get the best results. If you feel beat up from your workouts in a continual fashion, reevaluate what is prompting you to overlook what is a negative habitual feedback loop.

5 Likes

Unless you are a vegetarian, I see no need to supplement leucine.
Beef
85g serving contains around 1.7g of leucine
Chicken
85g serving contains around 1.5g of leucine
Pork
85g serving contains around 1.4g of leucine
Fish
85g serving of tuna contains around 1.7g of leucine

85 grams = ~3 ounces which is not very much. I eat 6 - 12 ounces every day so I assume I am getting enough leucine.

4 Likes

Leucine seems to be all over the map when it comes to weight/fat loss. Helps, hurts, - studies not consistent.

2 Likes

When I mentioned being concerned about sarcopenia, I meant that the NS 0200 polypill seems to mitigate it, am I correct?

This is not personal of course, but this is for anyone reading this thinking that they can get phamalogical effects with leucine derived from food sources- this is not possible.

You must isolate the amino acid and achieve specific serum levels too have a desired effect. On the topic of of NS 0200- it must be taken with AMPK, SIRT co-activators to have metabolic effects.

To save on confusion for people reading, this point has nothing to do with the synergy of leucine with other compounds. Leucine meets endpoints on some metabolic alongside other AMPK, SIRT activators. Leucine-only does not.