Rapamycin Update - Summary of Recent Matt Kaeberlein, Dr. Green, Blagosklonny Conference Call (June, 2022)

It’s probably Dr Reddy brand

1 Like

There are potential dangerous and/or life-threatening issues when dosing QT prolonging antibiotics that Dr. Green uses and grapefruit btw.

I covered this pretty dangerous combo in a thread.

Don’t underestimate the power of dietary factors. Plants are literally toxin-making factories to fight off pests.

There are a dizzying amount of potential drug-drug interactions I have to navigate with a traditional Okinawa diet.

This is amazing. By “traditional”, are you also layering their supposed 20% calorie restriction?

Well based on the calories I estimated from the few centenarians I interviewed in Okinawa and algorithmic estimates - they were running around 11-15% CR. Two of them were pretty close to intermittent fasting 16/8 because they literally skipped dinner. The other one had a small light dinner.

I’m currently doing 12% - relatively mild CR with IF 16/8 between 10-6pm. Occasionally, I shift 1 hr early and I’m not ultra strict to the dot, but I try to keep consistent enough.

3 Likes

Btw, beware of how studies calculate calories.

I account for non-standard caloric calculations (i.e. fiber is counted different than simple carbohydrates - it’s not 4 calorie per gram!) for higher accuracy and rely on other measurements.

I will also point out that different genetics can yield different responses (even though genetics is a relatively small factor). Some people may do worse with CR. There are still some things unanswered for CR - namely how much is in the absence of excess caloric intake?

I suspect how much CR is dependent on the individual and it’s still a bit of a shot in the dark even with tracking.

Please elaborate.

From my readings on longevity of Okinawans, there is a very strong genetic enrichment to their longevity. Something called a “very narrow haplotype”. Similar findings Sardinians.

“This study suggests that Okinawans may be a genetically distinct group that has several characteristics of a founder population, including less genetic diversity, and possess at least one mitochondrial haplotype (M7) linked to human longevity that has clustered in higher frequency than surrounding East Asian populations”

How coincidental is it that two regions with very high centenarian populations and vastly different diets, were both historically two isolated islands with very little genetic intermixing? Some Sardinian towns, everyone can be traced back to a few families.

And yes, CR metric definition has some grey area for interpretation.

I remember Dr. David Sinclair in one of his podcasts stating that the Okinawans who moved to Hawaii suddenly adopted the average lifespan of Hawaiians. What this meant is that the reason why Okinawans live longer is not genetic, but lifestyle-based.

That could be true, but could be confounder. Standard American diet will kill anyone, regardless of genetics!

1 Like

I don’t understand Calorie restriction. If I require 2000 calories per day but consume only 1600 then l lose muscle mass. Resting metabolic rate and non exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) subsequently decrease so I now need just 1800 calories to maintain the same deficit. This downward spiral presumably continues until finally a homeostasis is reached and you have a very frail individual with a sloth like metabolic rate?

Or do people ‘say’ they’re on calorie restriction when they simply eat less than the recommended calories for their height?

2 Likes

I suggest reading the literature and physiology if you still have trouble. It sounds like you have a few gaps.

In sum, you measure TDEE. I personally used doubly labelled water.

Adjust TDEE based on accurate body composition changes and activity levels via algos (one can further refine with more data).

It takes 8-14 months or so for the body to stop losing weight. A vast majority of the weight lost is fat especially if you’re exercising. Also in intermittent fasting 16/8 - it’s unlikely to chew up significant muscle with resistance training (at least for me). Note calorie restriction is NOT malnutrition.

You need to be sure about nutrition and exercise physiology. I would recommend hiring a registered dietician and a personal trainer (NASM or ACSM) if you still have trouble. There are also academic centers where you can get all of this done (trial participants get it free and if you pay a few hundred bucks to audit a college exercise class you could get access to office hours for a PhD in exercise physiology to explain it), mine had a RD on site and a PhD in exercise physiology with cutting edge equipment and software.

1 Like

I can tell you with absolute certainty that a significant proportion of weight loss will be lean muscle.

I had DEXA showing insignificant lean mass loss (<1lb) when doing IF 16/8 (via GH) with mild 12% CR.

Adequate protein intake + omega 3s + with methionine restriction most days, resistance training (~90% 1RM), and once weekly session HIIT (GH) + little more protein with no methionine restriction post 48 hr HIIT which seems to be more insulin sensitive timing (based on CGM) for me.

Note I seem to have high normal serum testosterone (no TRT or “androgen boosting” supplements) - may be that too.

This is not a comparable experiment to the level of fasting we’re debating re duration vs skeletal muscle mass loss.

Do pre DEXA, a water/electrolytes only fast for 72-120 hrs with NO exercise, then redo DEXA.

Some forum members are reporting no muscle loss on this type of intervention. I find it hard to believe that after a 5 day fast without exercise, one would not loose meaningful muscle mass (non keto adapted persons just to keep it clean)

1 Like

It depends. Ketones are protein-sparing. Protein isn’t just from muscle. I recall skin and intestines were first over muscle because the body is pretty smart. There’s also protein from autophagy.

Also, obese people have different metabolism (hence I don’t do long fasts and get ketones much quicker) - obese people can get close to ~95% from fat oxidation alone over a few days.

“both protein turnover and leucine oxidation increase in the lean, but may show no significant change in the obese.”

There are other possibilities. They could be injecting certain hormones and ketones :slight_smile:

Indeed they are…another human evolutionary self preservation hack.

I believe it’s Dr. Reddy’s. That’s the brand I get wholesale from AndaMed

1 Like