Rapamycin, mTORC1 and Exercise - Observations and Research

Again, has anyone found papers on this description of mtorc2?

From Rhonda Patrick:

Muscle protein synthesis (MPS), simplified:

1. When lifting weights, MPS is halted. Afterward, you get an explosion of MPS via mTOR Complex 2 (mTORC2).

2. The amino acid leucine activates MPS via mTOR Complex 1 (mTORC1)

So, protein + resistance training = a magical combo

2 Likes

So, what about Creatine? Keep reading that Creatine is well studied, good for the brain as well as muscle. Creatine stimulates mTORc1. Lots of advocates, Layne Morton and?? Attia? But Attia takes Rapa. Rapamycin down regulates mTorc1. Can someone please helpme reconcile all this? Is it a matter of just choosing between longer life (but lower protein synthesis and muscle) then take Rap/Met, versus more robust physical/muscle (then take Creatine)??? If my top priority is geroprotection, because I have family history of Alzheimers, should I take RAP or Creatine? would taking both just be counter-productive?

4 Likes

I found this study on mice. Claims that Rapamycin abolishes the up-regulation of MTORC1 anti-depressive effect of creatine. No mention of muscle effects though.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0009279720306505?__cf_chl_tk=W9Uzl6h1kxtvV8ZDNeK8bNdkheJnmj82LjtoaTkO7Qc-1714209624-0.0.1.1-1407

4 Likes

Curious if anyone has thoughts on how long after strenuous exercise one should take Rapa?

I typically have a strenuous workout on Saturday morning 9-10am. And then take Rapa with lunch at 1pm.

I hadn’t seen the above that exercise increases mTORC2. I was avoiding taking Rapa before exercise, but this makes me wonder about how long after I should wait.

1 Like

FWIW: I don’t let taking rapamycin interfere with my exercise routine. If my exercise schedule coincides with my rapamycin schedule, I exercise first then take rapamycin about 2 hrs later. I don’t know if this is good or bad. I exercise in the morning and I take rapamycin in the morning.

2 Likes