Rapamycin induced insulin resistance and drop in testosterone

@scta123 What Rapa dose have you been taking?

5-6mg weekly until September and since September I am taking daily 1mg for 3 weeks and I have one week off. Amount of rapamycin is same, just the schedule is different. I will have new tests at the end of February to see if new schedule observational benefits translate to biomarkers. (Last quick blood test was done in december)

2 Likes

Iā€™m looking forward to hearing about your new and improved numbers!

1 Like

It is helpful to have people trying different dosing schemes. Personally I would not want to try this sort of approach, but it helps to develop knowledge of what the impact might be. This is where multiple N=1 is a good way of dealing with things.

3 Likes

I had the same schedule for immunosuppression. It accumulated quickly (1 week was too short of a break for me) and gave me side effects (mouth sores, red spots on skin, dry patches on shoulders, elevated glucose and lipids). Had to reduce the dose.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have any side effects that I would notice. I just checked my lipids in December (I decided to test lipids every 3 months) and they were fine, other markers I will test in March (6 months into this regimen). I had some acne some two months into regimen for few weeks. But that resolved on itā€™s own. And it was just an odd pimple here and there. It felt like I am entering puberty. Otherwise my skin is much better, almost no signs of my seborrheic dermatitis and dyshidrosis completely gone. If markers will be worse than before I will probably just do 14 days 1mg and 14 days off. Or go back to 6mg weekly.

2 Likes

It could be that your reaction to that dose is better than mine because your body weight is bigger than mine. So per kg of body weight you take less Rapa. Iā€™m only 49.8 kg.

I retested after not taking rapamycin for 5 weeks. Hb A1C dropped back to 5.7 after rising to 6.0 on rapamycin. I believe the 5.7 level is a result of taking rosusvastatin 5 mg qd for 18 months. Insulin resistance lowered dramatically from 10.7 down to 6 off of the rapa. Prior to starting rapa, my insulin was 6.4. Glucose dropped to 88 from 93. This equates to a HOMA-IR score of 1.3, a dramatic decrease from 2.46 recorded after 3 months of rapamycin 6 mg po once weekly. Testosterone result was stable at 658 as was my lipid panel of LDL 64, Triglycerides 77 & HDL 45. Various other contributors to this site have commented on being ā€œstrong respondersā€. I interpret this to mean that a ā€˜normalā€™ dose of 6 mg of rapamycin led them into much more pronounced mTORC 2 inhibition with concomitant negative effects. I believe this to be my case ( I am a very healthy 86 kg, frequent exerciser). I have also read that apparently more people are deciding on an every other week dosing regimen to allow for complete washout. My plan is to restart the rapamycin at 4 mg every other week and then retest in 3 months to evaluate mTORC 2 inhibition with the goal to slowly increase the dosage back to 6 mg every other week. Would appreciate any comments/observations/opinions. Thxs. 03.03.24

5 Likes