Rapamycin for Hair Growth and Hair Pigmentation

Seriously… Kaeberlein and Blagosklonny are my mentors!! :wink:

3 Likes

Tables are turned…Dr B looking a little thin up top.

2 Likes

Hmmm… might need to send him some Agetron tonic.

2 Likes

This guy retired…I nominate you for THE most interesting man on this forum.

7 Likes

Can you change your handle to “Ageless” or “Escaper”…putting money on you! That flowing mane of Fabio hair at 100, I can just see it.

3 Likes

I’m hesitant to mess with a good thing, but I think we could add a little ketoconazole to the mix.

Topical ketoconazole for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia: A systematic review

Jaime R. Fields BS,Peter M. Vonu BS,Reesa L. Monir MD,Jennifer J. Schoch MD

First published: 20 December 2019

Murine studies demonstrated a significant increase in mean ratio of hair regrowth to denuded area in the ketoconazole treatment groups compared to controls. Human studies reported increased hair shaft diameter following ketoconazole use. One study reported a significant increase in pilary index (percent anagen phase × diameter) following treatment. Studies also demonstrated clinical improvement of AGA based on photographic assessment and subjective evaluation. Topical ketoconazole is a promising adjunctive or alternative therapy in the treatment of AGA. Randomized controlled trials are needed.

https://doi.org/10.1111/dth.13202

Full Research Paper (PDF) available for download here:

http://sci-hub.wf/10.1111/dth.13202

5 Likes

Good find!

With lack of significant side effects, ketoconazole is a low-risk addition to the treatment regimen of any patient with AGA. Randomized controlled trials are needed to further determine ketoconazole’s utility, both as monotherapy and as an adjunctive, in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia.

Conclusion

First line therapy for androgenic alopecia remains the FDA-approved treatments of oral finasteride and topical minoxidil. There is limited evidence for increased hair shaft diameter and hair regrowth in human subjects following topical ketoconazole treatment. Topical ketoconazole shows promise as a low-risk adjunctive or alternative therapy in the treatment of AGA.

2 Likes

This was cover several weeks ago.

3 Likes

Ok, ok, crap. RapAdmin, Agetron, and Mac, damn! :rofl: :rofl: So, am old and bald, wouldn’t really make that much difference to me. But this morning when I got out of the shower and my hair was still wet, I saw that it is actually becoming blacker at the top, before, my hair was completely silver gray.
And, I think the fuzz is thicker at the top. If rap can grow new hair at my age it would be a miracle, but I am willing to give it a shot in the interest of science.
So, I already have a micro-needle roller from past experiments and I have EGCG, not nano-particle.
I will crush those EGCG tablets in my trusty mortar and pestle, and add them to my current spray on rapamycin skin formula which is:

20 cc Ethoxydiglycol from Lotion Crafters
10 mg crushed rapamycin dissolved in Ethoxydiglycol
80 cc distilled water.
I let the rapamycin set overnight in the 20cc of Ethoxydiglycol to get the maximum rapamycin dissolved.
Add the distilled water, mix, and filter so it doesn’t clog the small spray bottles I am using.
This lasts me 3 to 4 weeks.
So now I will crush some EGCG tablets to add to the mixture. If this grows a fresh head of hair on my bald head, maybe I will become famous.

And, maybe I will try to patent this totally unique mixture. :smiley:
Yeh, yeh, don’t laugh. It is what it is. The rapamycin may actually be doing something for my hair. I take some more photos a year from now if continues to improve significantly.

6 Likes

RapAdmin to the rescue - got my new tagline The Ageless Guy! Hahaha!

1 Like

Wow. Have you always been on 5mg every other day?

You asked: I am using the low oral dose of minoxidil daily 2.5 mg pills (2 pills) = 5mg.

Actually daily has a very minimum effect of lowing Blood Pressure - hardly noticeable - my Normal B/P is 127/80 .

3 Likes

Interesting. I was always scared to take it orally… but I guess that dose would be safe.

2 Likes

Amazing! You would be a perfect n=1 trial for rejuvenating senescent type hair phenotype via autophagy and other mTOR pathways.

Give Agetron some competition.

Research paper:

Stimulation of Hair Growth by Small Molecules that Activate Autophagy (Cell Reports)

Hair plays important roles, ranging from the conser- vation of body heat to the preservation of psycholog- ical well-being. Hair loss or alopecia affects millions worldwide, but methods that can be used to regrow hair are lacking. We report that quiescent (telogen) hair follicles can be stimulated to initiate anagen and hair growth by small molecules that activate autophagy, including the metabolites a-ketoglutarate (a-KG) and a-ketobutyrate (a-KB), and the prescription drugs rapamycin and metformin, which impinge on mTOR and AMPK signaling. Stimulation of hair growth by these agents is blocked by specific autophagy inhibitors, suggesting a mechanistic link between autophagy and hair regeneration. Consistently, increased autophagy is detected upon anagen entry during the natural hair follicle cycle, and oral a-KB prevents hair loss in aged mice. Our finding that anagen can be pharmacologically activated in telogen skin when natural anagen-inducing signal(s) are absent has implications for the treatment of hair loss patients.

Figure 1. Hair Regeneration Is Induced by Topical Treatment with a-KG
Figure 2. Hair Regeneration Is Induced by Topical Treatment with Oligomycin and Rapamycin
Figure 3. Hair Regeneration Is Induced by AICAR, Metformin, and a-KB
Figure 4. SMER28 Induces Hair Regeneration in an Autophagy-Dependent Manner

4 Likes

A basic tenet of patent law. If something (a product) is already patented…it matters not whatsoever the myriad of benefits that construe from it, even if completely unknown previous. The benefit is NOT patentable. As an inventor, you aren’t expected to know every benefit of your invented product, but your product is afforded all use protection rights.

If you mix Rapamycin (ok off patent now, but in the public domain so forever not patentable going forward) with patented drug B, other existing synthetic C, or natural product D, you cannot patent the basic combination (s), even if you discover some new benefit, unless there is some new and novel synthetic biologic that is formed by the combination.

So for example, the ITP cannot patent rapamycin plus other public domain longevity agents synergistic combinations for lifespan extension, or hair growth, or other, even if the benefits are novel.

So Agetron and his magic rapamycin brew, or your EGCG blend…not patentable.

You can still become “famous” though, will not take that away from you. :wink:

4 Likes

Great paper find! Seems like some easily gotten compounds to add (AKG, Metformin) and some more difficult to get compounds, perhaps, to add to the hair growth serum…

What is AICAR used for?

AICAR is an analog of adenosine monophosphate (AMP) that is capable of stimulating AMP-dependent protein kinase (AMPK) activity. AICAR has been used clinically to treat and protect against cardiac ischemic injury. The drug was first used in the 1980s as a method to preserve blood flow to the heart during surgery.

a-ketobutyrate

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/search/a-ketobutyrate?focus=products&page=1&perpage=30&sort=relevance&term=a-ketobutyrate&type=product_name

Wait til Agetron finds out…

1 Like

Never interested in the business aspects… too much hassle.

Just willing to share my brew freely. Hahaha. Easy for me.

I have all the ingredients at hand… others might not tho.

2 Likes

Will have an interesting development on the hair tonic in a few days… an added unexpected benefit…stay tuned. Still checking it out… confirming.

1 Like

I tagged you because of all the new magical molecules @rapadmin highlighted above? You dabble with any of these?

1 Like