Rapamycin for Hair Growth and Hair Pigmentation

I’ve been trying 1.25mg, no noticeable effects

4 Likes

Unless it doesn’t work. We need real data.

1 Like

Agreed… aging and hair loss is an ongoing and moving target.

For now my N=1 is my hair is maintaining and I like the brown/blonde color benefit… that the solution creates.

3 Likes

So far, I have tried the skin cream and the toothpaste. If something would help gray hair, I would jump on that. My fear, though is that this is simply another way to dye my hair. That is not something that interests me.

Does anyone here have any experience with topical dutasteride? Because it has a higher molecular weight than finasteride it is supposed to not enter systemic

Did the toothpaste have any noticeable affect?

I saw this paper “ Rosemary Oil vs Minoxidil 2% for the Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia: A Randomized Comparative Trial” (https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5d4cbfb00e6b2e00019b59b2/t/61f03232e0c0ab15a2b7be6a/1643131442668/rosemaryminoxidil.pdf) from an n=100 human trial which suggested that 2% minoxidil has the same effect as rosemary oil on hair growth, and then thought “hey why don’t I try rosemary oil instead because it should have fewer side effects”. But am I crazy in thinking that either work? —the study showed neither produced any quantifiable hair count increases over 3- or 6-months. They specifically use a “perception of hair growth” as their endpoint. +1 for it being a human trial. +1 for being randomized double blinded. -10 for reporting “perceptions” versus actual hair count. Seems questionable.

4 Likes

LeeJohn,

I posted this on another thread and may help.

Here some research that says that Nitric Oxide blocks respriation of our mitochondria so they no longer produce ATP. The red light knocks off the NO in the mitochondria so that oxygen can bind and restore respiration and ATP production. I won’t bore you with the Krebs cycle and ATP production.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/237089612_The_role_of_nitric_oxide_in_low_level_light_therapy
*"Red and near-IR light is primarily absorbed by cytochrome c oxidase (unit four in the mitochondrial respiratory chain). Nitric oxide produced in the mitochondria can inhibit respiration by binding to cytochrome c oxidase and competitively displacing oxygen, especially in stressed or hypoxic cells. If light absorption displaced the nitric oxide and thus allowed the cytochrome c oxidase to recover and cellular respiration to resume, this would explain many of the observations made in LLLT. "

This is my theory no papers I can find. Perhaps the melanocyte stem cells responsible for pigmentation don’t produce ATP and stop functioning rather than dying off. If the melanocyte stem cells are not making ATP and no longer working how can we assume they will be reactivated by Rapamycin? Maybe with the introduction of red light to reactivate ATP production in these cell restores pigmentation if we allow Rayamycin to do it’s job? My theory is that you have to have working (respirating melanocyte stem cells) first for Rapamycin to work and bring hair color back.

Here is the red light that I use you just need to get a light fixture

amazon.com

Amazon.com: Wolezek Red Light Therapy, 18 LEDs Red Light Therapy for Body and…

Buy Wolezek Red Light Therapy, 18 LEDs Red Light Therapy for Body and Face with 660nm Red and 850nm Near-Infrared Combo Wavelength, Infrared Light Therapy Lamp Device for Skin Care Pain Relief (Only Bulb) on Amazon.com ✓ FREE SHIPPING on qualified…

$37.99

I am very open to arguments and discussion for this theory, let me know what you think and if you try it I would like to hear the results.
My hair started to turn black after a decade of dying my hair, (still using red light). I was completely grey and 2 months of Rapamycin I started to get black hair again.

4 Likes

Steven, I ordered the one with the stand.

Will start using this later today, unit arrived last night.

3 Likes

Joseph,

Great please post your pictures pretreatment so we knows if you are getting results. I will be posting my results as well.

2 Likes

Is there any reason why one couldnt focus it on the top of their head of hair while also using it as a desk lamp?

How long/ how often were your sessions?

1 Like

Got to love your multi-tasking mind!
Sounds like a reasonable plan.

3 Likes

I have 4 red lights that I use every day. The lamps are around my favorite chair and I place them as close to my head as possible even touching. The red lights do produce a little bit of heat as the 850nm is near infrared and produce heat, i.e. fireplace heat
One or two lamps on the top of my head and one at the back of my head at the base of my skull/spine the cerebellum which is called the primitive brain.
The hindbrain includes the upper part of the spinal cord, the brain stem, and a wrinkled ball of tissue called the cerebellum. The hindbrain controls the body’s vital functions such as respiration and heart rate . The cerebellum coordinates movement and is involved in learned rote movements.
As we age we develop mitochondrial dysfunction and is one theory of aging. My theory is we need to use red light to restore mitochondrial respiration and ATP production to prevent dysfunction. At any rate red light has a very good safety profile and we just don’t get enough. The red light was originally used to restore mitochondrial respiration to my hair follicles to grow my hair back and it worked, you can see my original posts (although they were grey).
Mitochondrial Aging and Age-Related Dysfunction of Mitochondria - PMC.

The last one I use around my organs because the 850nm penetrates over an inch deep and might be able to repair mitochondria in the organs.

I drink my coffee and turn the red lights on in the morning and use them in the evening when I am watching TV. I don’t use it for reading though.

7 Likes

There seems to be quite a few papers relating to Cytochrome C Oxidase eg:

What relationship there is between that an Nitric Oxide I don’t know.

In the end, however, if Red and NIR soup up the mitochondria (which they clearly do) that’s all we need to know.

I put some links on another thread that had the penetration of NIR at 5% about 1 inch under the surface of the skull. This is clearly something that has the potential to be of assistance with skin and things just under the skin, but internal organs are probably too far from the surface. On the other hand they are likely to have a better blood supply so Rapamycin can get there.

4 Likes

Around 8 cm from the root to the white, so between 4 to 8 months of growth, 8 months ago I did start rapamycin

7 Likes

Nice evidence of change… I have a lot more black hair coming in…my hair and especially my beard.

No one in my family has black hair. We are all blondes and brown… with red tints.

2 Likes

Oddly enough at times I have what I call “fast hairs” that are reddish. They are only about 2 mm long, but when cells suddenly shift to differentiate having been senescent for some time they generate very quickly a small amount of hair that then falls out. Some are red.

1 Like

I have had hair that got their colour back before but these always gradually got their colour back. As you can see the change here is very abrupt

1 Like

I did red light therapy at a local gym. It was a stand-up device that shined the light on your whole body for some length of time that I can’t now recall.

The one effect that became quite noticeable was it made me angry lol. It took several weeks before I realized that the days I used the red light I was annoyed and easily agitated for the rest of the day.

I suppose that’s evidence of an effect. I pondered whether this was positive (energizing my system) or negative (provoking a fight response). In the end I didn’t like the experience and stopped using the light.

1 Like

My IndiaMart rapa connection is getting me some Lonitab (Minoxidil): 200 x 2.5mg tablet for $50.

My doctor was prescribing 45 x 2.5mg pills with three refills, meaning I was running out every three months and needing to call her every 9 months.

This is such a low dosage, and I have experienced no side effects, so it’s easier to get 200 pills (400 days worth) for $50 and not have to worry about the continuing hassle.

For the historical record, I also ordered 240 x 1mg Siromus for $204, or less than a dollar a milligram. These prices are before shipping, which cost another $30 or so.

4 Likes