Rapamycin for Hair Growth and Hair Pigmentation

Trying to catch up through the posts but couldn’t find this consensus: if hair growth needs mtor, is it better to pulse topical rapamycin or should it be applied every day?

2 Likes

The International Spokesperson for Rapamycin.

The most interesting man in the world!

1 Like

Actually yeah, I have been a bit of an international spokesperson.

RapAdmin should be noticing a few new members to our group from France, Germany and Japan. While lecturing on American medicine in these places, kept getting asked… whats going on… you are younger looking since pre- covid. So… I share!

7 Likes

You might try both approaches - take photos, 2 months on pulsed every X days, or 2 months applied twice daily?

The most effective dose (at least for Angiofibromas) was .2% and applications twice daily… but no studies have been done on hair growth, so its all guesswork right now…

When compared with placebo, all concentrations of topical sirolimus did not differ in severe adverse events leading to withdrawal. The ranking analysis suggested topical sirolimus 0.2% as the most effective drug. In conclusion, topical sirolimus 0.05–1% are effective and safe in treating facial angiofibromas in patients with TSC, with topical sirolimus 0.2% being the most effective.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9025300/

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing RapAdmin. I was wondering, is there a formula one can use to work out potency? Most carrier solutions are measured in ML, while pills are in MG.

As far as dosing, in this mouse study they applied every other day. Since this can be hard to remember I would choose odd days or even days so you don’t have to remember if you applied it yesterday:

1 Like

There are lots of discussions of the rapamycin skin cream formulations in these posts… for hair tonic you obviously don’t want a cream formulation, so perhaps just transcutol and … water? with a spray bottle as per @desertshores formulation he mentions…

here: DIY Rapamycin skin cream

here: Rapamycin May Slow Skin Aging (Drexel U. Study)

And as for the every two day issue - I’d put it in a google calendar reminder and you can easily have it repeat every X days, and you don’t even need to remember :wink:

2 Likes

I know nothing about this form of alopecia… or if a drug that treats it might also help people with other forms of alopecia… but it looks interesting

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/fda-approves-pfizers-litfulotm-ritlecitinib-adults-and

1 Like

Its a janus kinase inhibitor. That could have broad effects, but I personally would not wish to inhibit the janus kinase because it is the key route by which cytokines influence a cell. I think this is probably the result of effectively preventing IL-10 from inhibiting NF kappa B.

2 Likes

I just saw this article/review from 2020 which is negative for finasteride safety. The conclusions seem to be based on a number of cited studies on kidney health (particular interest to me) I followed down the “ rabbit hole”: they appear to be based on rat trials with small number of rats getting 5mg/kg/day — I know rats have higher metabolisms than humans, but even adjusting for this, isn’t this a heroic dose for humans? Not in the same ballpark as safe as 1mg per day orally or even topical?

Here is the review:

2 Likes

The standard dose for finasteride for MPB is 1mg daily so 0.0125mg/kg/day for an 80kg man. In mice, unlike in humans, finasteride is also a strong inhibitor of 5-alpha-reductase type 1 so it’s unclear whether any potential negative side effects stem from that.
Personally, I trust human clinical studies over mice data and they’ve repeatedly shown that finasteride is very tolerable.

2 Likes

I agree with you: human studies much preferable. And I thought the doses they described for rats were “heroic”. But the authors feel (rightly or wrongly) that finasteride safety studies ignored a number of issues, so I shared the paper.

It’s not changing my mind that 1mg/day (or topical) finasteride is likely a good thing for me to start taking, given my testosterone has clearly risen (from other rising indicators) from lifting heavy weights.

1 Like

Bimatoprost has been effective in re-pigmentation of skin in patients with Vitiligo. So in addition to promoting hair growth it seems to affect skin color. Looks like an interesting drug and I wonder if it could reverse gray hair:

4 Likes

Rosemary Water for Hair Growth: Does It Really Work?

Rosemary water is the latest natural remedy to go viral for promoting hair growth. With staggering reports of increased hair growth and scalp health, does the scientific evidence support these claims? Learn how to make this simple, low-cost hair tonic at home to see if it works for you.***

Two forms of rosemary are used for hair growth benefits: rosemary oil and rosemary water. Although there’s limited research on rosemary water and hair growth, studies on the more potent rosemary oil show some promise. Two studies, in particular, suggest rosemary might help with hair growth.

One study found that after six months, rosemary oil was just as effective for treating androgenetic alopecia (male and female pattern baldness) as minoxidil, a common hair growth treatment branded and sold as Rogaine.

In another study, this time with mice, researchers found that rosemary extract may block a hormone known to cause hair loss — dihydrotestosterone (DHT). The results showed promising signs that rosemary may help promote hair growth in these cases.

While these findings are optimistic, more studies are needed to understand rosemary’s role in hair growth, especially ones focusing on rosemary water. However, it’s important to remember that since hair loss has various causes, rosemary water might not work for everyone.

https://healthnews.com/beauty/hair/rosemary-water-for-hair-growth/

7 Likes

I found an online calculator for those who are not good at math, like myself:

According to this calculator, if you dissolve 3MG of Rapamycin in 1 ounce (30ML) of solution, you will get a concentration of .01%. To get a concentration of .1% you would need to dissolve 30MG of Rapamycin in 1 ounce of solution, which depending on the carrying capacity of the solution might not be possible.

They also have a molecular weight calculator:

With this calculator you can duplicate the mouse studies which used a concentration of 1.6UM. According to this calculator dissolving 1MG of Rapamycin in 1 ounce of solution yields a concentration of 36UM, which is many times the dosage used in the mouse studies cited at the start of this thread.

6 Likes

Would using oral rapamycin have the same effect as topical rapamycin? We know that both finasteride and minoxidil work topical and oral after all.

1 Like

I have been using their topical gel for my face for the past couple of months and my skin laxity and pore sizes have both improved. Their site doesn’t easily let you subscribe to both the lotion and the gel, so I’ve reached out to them directly to get an order for the lotion going. Will report my n=1 back over time.

4 Likes

One can’t order the Healthspan product without a “consultation”. What is the story on that, the costs and price of the product?

1 Like

It’s $115/mo sold in 3 month increments. Rapamycin’s still a prescription medicine in the US, and the consultation concept is pretty common with DTC medications today. They have a doctor or NP review your request and write the script for their own product.

1 Like

I also contacted them. I think its $140 per month for the hair product unless you buy several months at once. Daft, how much do they charge for the consultation?

Their product however is .2% concentration, which is a high concentration so depending on how much you use, it could last longer than one month.

1 Like

They didn’t charge me for the consultation.

1 Like