Rapamycin dose determination

At the risk of beating a dead horse, discussion in another thread made me realize how little I know about the correct dose. So, two specific questions:

1. What parameters do you use to determine you are taking enough Rapa?
  2. What parameters do you use to determine you are taking too much?
3 Likes

actually… how little all of us know about the “correct” dose.

Based on the information presented in this thread: The Key issue of Dosing Levels and Intervals for Best Rapamycin Outcomes

I have decided that I don’t think I’ll truly “know” if I’m taking enough rapamycin ever (or at least for the next decade or more…

Given that - that “higher generally tends to result in bettter longevity results” in all the animal studies (except one, where they maxed out in female mice and the longevity gains plateaued at 128ppm, if I recall correctly)…

My belief is that the best we can do is test different dosing levels and timing approaches on our own bodies, track blood test and functional results closely - and modulate in a way that we think will optimize results.

I think daily dosing in mice is roughly equivalent to about once every 4 days or so in human terms given the speed that mice metabolize rapamycin is about 4 times faster.

Sirolimus
Dose
Mouse
mg/kg/day
Dose
Mouse:
Blood/Sirolimus
Level
Human
mg/kg/day
Dose
Dose for 60kg Human Daily Dose adjusted for longer half-life (/4)
4.7ppm ∼2.24 3 to 4 ng/mL 0.182 mg/kg 10.92 mg 2.73 mg
14ppm ~6.67 9-16 ng/mL 0.542 mg/kg 32.54 mg 8.135 mg
42ppm ~20 23-80 ng/mL 1.626 mg/kg 97.56 mg 24.39 mg
126ppm ~60 4.878 mg/kg 292.68 mg 73.17 mg
378ppm ~180 45 to 1800 ng/mL 14.634 mg/kg 878.04 mg 218 mg
Sirolimus
Dose
mg/kg/day
Dose
Blood/Sirolimus
Level
Male Median LS Increase Female Median LS Increase
4.7ppm ∼2.24 3 to 4 ng/mL 3% 16%
14ppm ~6.67 9-16 ng/mL 13% 21%
42ppm ~20 23-80 ng/mL 23% 26%

Based on the FDA animal to human dosing conversion guide here.

Note: ½ life for sirolimus in mice is approx. 15 hours, vs. approx. 62 hours in humans. So, mice metabolize sirolimus approximately 4 times faster than humans.

My approach has been increasingly to optimize around avoiding the “too much” issue, and doing this by tracking and mitigating all the possible negative side effects, which for me seem to be around lipid increases. I’m in the phase of testing and monitoring different rapamycin doses, and lipid management approaches, from diet to medications and supplements - testing them all. I’m early in this process, so nothing to report yet.

5 Likes

The problem with increasing dose, if my math is right, is that if you double your dose, you add a full half life to clearance time which is another 62 hrs.
Of course we don’t even know how much clearance is needed.

3 Likes

Yes - so as part of this new plan I’ll also try adopting the blood/sirolimus level testing that was suggested by @McAlister in his post: Rapamycin Cycling (Time Off) - Who Is Right? - #4 by McAlister

I like the three test approach to blood / sirolimus levels. With the Mareck testing at $59, the triple test approach is not too expensive:

So, when you get results, do you have peak levels that are too high, too low? Do you have trough levels that are too high?

1 Like

I would love to do the same, but Sirolimus blood tests are unavailable in my location. :frowning:

However I am very interested in everyone’s results

@RapAdmin what is your current Rapa dosing schedule?

Check with hospital labs (especially transplant clinics) they do this test routinely. I was also thinking it is not available but phoned the transplant clinic and they have it and it is quite inexpensive out of pocket too.

3 Likes

Thanks. I will check it out.

Nothing ventured. Nothing gained.

1 Like