Rapamycin and Grapefruit Juice

Interesting! Thanks for sharing your experience and that of Peter Attia.

I will take a break and get back to baseline and slowly wade back in. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes… towards the middle Matt and Peter talks about using rapamycin.

Link: 175 - The biology of aging, rapamycin, and other interventions that target the aging process - YouTube

A great podcast. I have listened to multiple times on trips.

Thanks for the link!

1 Like

I take a week pause whenever I have a wound that needs healing. Unfortunately I have found I get wounded much more frequently than I thought.

3 Likes

I’m late to the GFJ party. I was thinking about experimenting with it but after reading this thread I’m going to resist my normal instinct to be brave. I’m already being brave enough. The temptation to do more and more is a slippery slope for me.

3 Likes

If you aren’t taking other medications it doesn’t really require bravery. Rapa requires a little bravery since we really don’t have numbers that tell us how much to use or how long to pause or why. So we have a shotgun approach going on with people on this site doing all manner of things.

Buying from India saves like 3-5X, then using GFJ does the same thing. Suddenly my little hobby here got really cheap, even figuring in the 2 lab tests I took after switching to gfj. But honestly you go by side effects anyway, not lab tests.

So we have a lively debate on that one too. Cheers.

2 Likes

So I am curious what folks are doing with GFJ these days. I think I saw @John_Hemming uses it. @Agetron are you still 2mg and GFJ? I have been doing either 2mg or 3mg and about to do a blood test (will share results)

1 Like

Yes. I use GFJ to extend my prescription.

So right now alternating each week… 1 pill = 2 mg Rapamune and fresh squeezed Red Grapefruit juice. Possibly 6mg total

Next week 2 pills = 4 mg Rapamune with fresh squeezed Red Grapefruit juice. Possibly 12 mg total.

Then back again, 1 pill = 2 mg Rapamune and fresh squeezed Red Grapefruit juice. Possibly 6mg total.

5 Likes

I do something similar with 4+GFJ one (2 week period) then 5+GFJ the next (2 week period). I read someplace that the trough level makes a big difference, so I go 2 weeks to get it low enough.

4 Likes

Thank you guys. Interesting you both are pulsing up and down like Bryan Johnson. Does that just feel right or is there another reason?

1 Like

I dont use GFG. I try to avoid a conflict between Berberine or curcumin. I am unusual in having long period between doses of 6mg (a packet) i think my last dose was in july

2 Likes

Not a great reason. I got side effects from 5+, so tried 4+ and they went away. Then I used 5+ and it never happened again. So figured I should be taking between 4+ and 5+.

I now have ways to keep down the fasting blood sugar, so I’m not so worried about the high doses. I never have really worried about the raised LDL, but now have effective ways of lowering that too. Like everybody else, I’m just feeling my way around here.

My elbow has been messed up from arthritis. I got shockwave, then PRP. It kinda worked for awhile, then obviously didn’t. It seemed like I could do whatever I wanted for the first week after Rapa, then it started to hurt. For 2 or 3 cycles, so not just once.

Then I got the grounding sheets and drove the rod in the ground and once grounded I have not had a really bad day. Makes no sense to me either, but the cost and risk were very low. The cover sheet was only $125 and the quality is great anyway.

So to conclude: Rapa and grounding seem to reduce inflammation.

3 Likes

Hey Dan - after feeling I went too high at 36 mg for 7 months… getting negative biological feedback… I felt maybe a lower 6mg and bit higher 12 mg alternating might be good for my next round of TruMe and GlycanAge testing.

Feels right. Looking for my sweet spot in dosing rapamycin.

5 Likes

I just created an account on this site. I’ve been taking Rapacan from Biocon for 13 weeks now. Definitely notice improvements in mood. Most noticeable effect so far is I seem to get much less winded and fatigued during excersize, which in my case is yardwork, cutting the lawn and once a week session on the bowflex and dumbbells. I thought that the increased capacity for excersize might have been a result of doing a lot of outdoor work earlier in this summer constructing a backyard astronomy observatory, but the effect seems to be still present a full two months after the construction was completed.
This is a great site for info on rapamycin and how to use it to best effect. I’ve taken my rapacan dose once a week, working up from 1 mg to 6mg. The last month and a half I started taking rapa simultaneously with a cup of grape fruit juice. I’ve had a couple instances of mild diarrhea at 4mg and have backed down to a weekly dose between 2.5mg and 3.5mg + GFJ. I have not had any blood tests for rapamycin levels or any other levels yet. I’ll get my regular CBC + lipid panel next month from my doctor. I don’t know if I will tell her that I’m using rapamycin. She strikes me as being very by the book, and I don’t want her to just say something like “well, if you’re taking prescription meds off label on your own, I cant treat you as a patient.”
I also found through this site that at least two of the meds I’ve been on long term can be problematic with GFJ, those being Zoloft and Lipitor. I’ve just started skipping the lipitor the night before, the day of and the morning after I take rapamycin with GFJ.

6 Likes

3 + GFJ is a very big dose weekly. Over time there could be side effects in your bloodwork like elevated fasting glucose and lipids. You should watch this pretty closely. I usually take 4+ GFJ every 2 weeks.

I don’t think anybody knows the answer of the best dose, but still watching for potential side effects seems prudent.

6 Likes

Thanks, I remembered after reading your post that I have a glucose meter. I’ll have to start checking fasting glucose levels. I also have a meter that reads cholesterol, but I need to purchase a test specific attachment for that. Pretty sure I’ll have bloodwork from the doctor October 20.

1 Like

Do you have 0,5mg pills?

1 Like

No. I have 1mg pills that are scored in the middle. Very easy to break in half.

1 Like

Ummm…when you break them you might lose viability.

Unless you use Labcorp test to measure your blood’s Sirolimus… post dose…you won’t really know for sure.

6 Likes

What vendor are you using for this sirolimus? I haven’t researched this, but some medications are designed with a special coating that if you break it, it eliminates the benefit that the coating provides, thus largely eliminates the bioavailability increase that the coating provides.

I’d recommend you research this carefully. For example: Rapamycin and NanoCrystal Formulations

8 Likes