Rapamycin and Grapefruit Juice

If I were taking it, 5mg per week would be the dose that I would start with. $7.50/week, that is less than I am paying for some more dubious supplements.

Try Anil Gangwani at Kachhela medex Pvt LTD kmpl1015@gmail.com he is often cheaper than Jagdish, but it might not be for the same brand.

4 Likes

Well, that’s not so much ouch? It is at $1.5 per 1mg. I know if you order the 1mg pills it is probably closer to $1 (depending on brand0 but $1.5 is still pretty ok

1 Like

Ask him about 1mg tablets instead. Also, remind you of @RapAdmin 's advice: shop around. If you find cheaper prices, and prefer to deal with Jagdish, take the prices back to him and see if he’ll match.

2 Likes

Good tip. No rush as I am well stocked with rapa.

Why would you prefer this?

I agree with him on this. I would rather have a higher peak and shorter duration as I wish autophagy to be widespread, but only for a limited period. At the moment I am taking Rapamycin no more frequently than every 3 weeks (I tend to plan taking it when I am doing other things to encourage autophagy).

2 Likes

I would prefer my mTOR to be slowed down all the time. i understand the logic of higher peak, since you get more tissue penetration but it is only for really low period of time. It is like if you are driving a car on highway, suddenly press breaks and almost stop and than accelerate again to previous speed or possibly higher speed for a while (rebound effect).

1 Like

For rebound you need an equivalent dose over 20 mg. That’s pretty rare.

1 Like

My goal with rapa is to re-establish a youthful cycle of high/low mTORC1 activation. I want to hit it hard briefly (rapa, low protein, endurance exercise), and then let it go to avoid any mTORC2 effect. I do not know if a higher peak is better but too low a peak is not effective, so I’m going for high enough (a guess at 8-12mg/wk rapa for 200 lbs male). But I want a short tail for the smallest possible mTORC2 impact. How? I’m following at 3 weeks on/ 1 week off schedule as a guess.

4 Likes

If Rapa is a Calorie Restriction mimetic (and CR on its own has been shown to extend lifespan in mice) I’d be more inclined to go with lower peak longer AUC.
That is what I’m going to try next time I restart Rapa (having been going high peak in the past). I’ll see what that does if anything and then might alternate between the two approaches.

2 Likes

The fact that you can’t know your cMax is exactly why it’s an incorrect assumption that you got 8x higher with GFJ. While you got 8x higher level in the blood when measuring 2 hours after taking rapamycin with GFJ compared to without GFJ that doesn’t mean the difference in absorption is 8x. The two blood tests might not be comparable in terms of the levels being at the same part of the curve. If you want to get a more accurate picture of how much GFJ increases your absorption of rapamycin, test it 48 hours after taking rapamycin with and without GFJ. Then you will get a much more accurate estimate of the actual multiplier.

I don’t have any direct data on that for rapamycin, I’m making assumptions based on general physiology of digestion and absorption and all the factors that influence that.

Pretty much everyone has a very high dissipation rate if you measure it from close to the peak to 76 hours later. This is not an indication that yours is any faster than that of other people. You have to wait until after levels have dropped a bit from the peak and measure then if you want to find the general half-life and compare it to others. The reported half-life for rapamycin which is around 60 hours is not the half-life from the peak, it’s the half-life after the main drop from the peak. So if you want to find your half-life compared to reported numbers you have to also measure well after the peak. I suggest measuring rapamycin at 48 hours after dosing and then at 96 hours after dosing. That will give you the data to calculate the half-life and compare it to others.

3 Likes

If the multiplier is 8x at 2 hours, then isn’t cmax at least 8x? That seems useful to know compared to the rough 3X estimate I see thrown around.

2 Likes

Just to hit the dead horse one more time. If you take 4mg at 2 hr and your cmax is 10. 2 or 3 weeks later you take 4 mg with GFJ and your cmax is 32.

Some would say since they took 4 mg and they got 32 in their blood then the multiplier is 8x because grape fruit juice.

Some would say without GFJ it was 10, with GFJ it was 32 so the GFJ has a multiplier of 3.2. I’m with these guys.

5 Likes

Obviously this is the correct answer. But I thought that even measuring GFJ effect this way (correct one) there were results higher than 3X?

1 Like

Honestly I don’t think anyone has done it.

2 Likes

Well would be interesting for guys that do blood work often to look at it this way and see what the real effect of GFJ is. As an example, I take 3+GFJ every two weeks in hopes that it is at least 3X or more. Never measured or did blood work though.

1 Like

There was a clinical trial that measured GFJ effect on Rapamycin absorption and the average boost was 3-3.5X. Although I do think there were outliers.

The original study paper is somewhere on this site.

Here: Improve Bioavailability of Rapamycin (2)

3 Likes

Thanks Chris, I meant to say that nobody here has done it. I guess with India selling Rapa so cheap GFJ probably is unnecessary, but I still think it’s a great hack. It’s a more efficient use of resources. I’m sure it is different than just Rapa, but have no way of knowing whether it’s better or worse.

3 Likes

Seems most people use GFJ to increase bioavailability. Why do you prefer this over Ketoconazole which provides a very reliable 5.6 x increase? I take 2mg of Rapa about 90 minutes after taking Ketoconazole.

Ketaconazole usage can lead to liver damage