Questions to Matt Kaeberlein

Can I side track us to magnesium for a moment? :slight_smile:

If the hivemind could just tell me what to do, that would be great!!!

I was taking l-threonate (because Attia said to)…. And because I know we need different kinds, I tried magnesi-om (because Rhonda Patrick likes that one) (as you can see, I only know enough to follow smart people but can’t figure out any of the science on my own!.. my ADD keeps me from reading more than two sentences into a study!)

I do take glycine (and I don’t know how related or not this is to magnesium glycinate) which supposedly helps with sleep.

I supplement with D because, at 40 years old, they tested my levels after seeing I had osteopenia and my D level was 10! My mom had early osteoporosis so I insisted on a bone density scan to the chagrin of my doctor.

I was today years old when learning magnesium helps with vit d. I only started taking magnesium last year.

Can you suggest what forms of mag to take? Should I be testing my levels (i don’t think this has been done?). Is magnesi-om good enough? Once again, this is nice because it’s in powder form, just like my glycine. I do a mix of those two and lysine.

2 Likes

I need to do a bit of work on it as I have the data in separate spreadsheets.

Looking at the website it is a mixture of three magnesium salts. One of these is citrate. Very often mg is sold as a mixture of citrate and malate.

I use citrate for the citrate effects, but I can end up taking quite a bit.

2 Likes

Here is another paper that is interesting - including that there might be a BMI connection.

Not sure what your blog research process looks like, but wonder if there are any MR studies that could help understand things to some additional extent given the bad design of past clinical trials.

And, importantly, I’d bet that Karl would reply to you if you reached out to him and that we’d be a great person to discuss this topic with.

@AnUser not sure what exact Karl’s thoughts on optimal level is, but you could ask him via twitter at the link below

https://t.co/K5dvxpzZdP

His twitter account:

https://twitter.com/karlpfleger/status/1788334178150609389?s=46&t=zJMJ1xVdRJYEDYz-DHipTw

5 Likes

I should have included the ingredients for ease, and thank you for looking. For anyone else, here they are

• Magnesium Chelate Blend (Gluconate, Acetyl Taurinate and Citrate) specifically chosen due to their high bioavailability and easy absorption into the gut with minimal discomfort* (310 mg)
  • + L-theanine in our magnesium supplement powder helps provide cognitive support for feelings of alert relaxation and mental clarity without over-stimulation (112 mg)

John, do you think this mix is good, or, if you were me, would you just focus on citrate? And how much should I consider?

Thoughts on L theonate ?

The comprehensive magnesium guide from a Doc you can trust.

I like magnesium glycinate.

If you’re constipated, go with magnesium citrate.

2 Likes

I only lurk on it so if anyone is interested in what Karl think is optimal levels.

It would be interesting if someone compiled a list of what all the longevity people think are optimal levels of vitamin D (for another thread)

3 Likes

I went a bit OTT on the calcifediol at one stage and hit 419 nmol/L (over 160 ng/mL). It dropped back pretty quickly, however. I think it tends to be cleared in the form of 24,25 di Hidroxy Vitamin D when there is a lot around.

I normally aim for around 200 nmol/L. (thats about 80 ng/mL) However, I have been experimenting with various constant supplementation rates and it has been dropping down (even on 6,000 iu per day). I have switched to 25OHD at the moment and am waiting for some test results to see what is happening.

I switch the supplementing amount on the day after the blood draw, but I want to run with a specific amount for a few weeks.

TY! I just watched and this was EXCELLENT! Very clear and concise!

So, it seems I can skip magnesi-om because I don’t have the issue citrate addresses.

Mag glycinate does sound like the right one for me. Do you happen to know if I still would take additional glycine or it’s instead of?

Additionally, it seems that L-threonate might also benefit my ADD brain.

And he mentioned something about gallbladder and choline (or ox bile). I don’t have a gallbladder, so now to do the deep dive to see if I should be adding a choline supplement or sunflower lecithin (a source of choline) … it’s endless!!!

The mortality curve says you should have a vitamin D level above 40. Some people say 50-100 is even better. But no reason to go over 100.

2 Likes

This thread might be helpful

And @Joseph_Lavelle podcast on the topic

3 Likes

Neo! This was great! Ok, I’m back on citrate :). THX @John_Hemming for explaining it’s good for bones and not just to help w regularity.

I’ll go listen to that podcast now. I thought @Joseph_Lavelle summary of it was good….

3 Likes

Because citrate is a substance found a lot in the body and is normally in blood to a certain level you need quite a bit to move the needle.

3 Likes

Curious, what do you you disagree on in Matt Kaeberlein’s ranking video?

It was an interesting video. I am a bit busy at the moment, but I think it would be good for someone to summarise the list of interventions and his categories and to discuss this.

Cancer screening and Rapamycin definitely ranked too low.
Dexa, CGM too high

1 Like

What letters would you rank them?

I have gone through and tried to list out the video rankings. There are quite a few I would disagree with and for someone over 40 Rapamycin logically would be an A even in infrequently rather than a C.

A HRT, Flossing/Dental care, Blood Testing, D3, DNA Testing, Resistance Exercise, good sleep, Cardiac exercise, Not smoking, Not drinking a lot, Hormone Replacement Therapy
B RIR?, MultiCancer early detection testing, Creatine, CGM, Cognitive Function Test
C Wearables, Rapamycin, Crosstraining
D Bioimpedance Scale, Methylation/Epigenetic Age tests, NMM, Time Restricted Feeding, Microbiome analysis
F Resveratrol, Skin aging clock

I have done this from a glance at a still of the video combined with my vague memory of seeing the video a few days ago.

This is the list of chapters in the video

0:00
Trailer 0:49 Introduction 2:07 Regular dental visits/oral care 3:31 DEXA scans 4:43 Bioimpedance scale 5:16 Fitness wearable 5:45 Bloodwork 5:59 Multi-cancer early detection testing 7:07 Epigenetic age testing 8:03 Nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) 9:56 Resveratrol 11:19 Rapamycin 12:55 Vitamin D3 14:53 Genetic testing, e.g. 23andMe 16:20 Sleep 16:46 Intermittent fasting/time-restricted eating 24:42 Exercise (cardio + resistance training) 26:52 Cross-training 28:00 Creatine monohydrate 28:48 Not smoking 30:33 Not drinking 33:12 Continuous glucose monitors 33:40 Microbiome analysis 38:15 Hormone replacement therapy 45:34 Skin aging clock 46:24 Cognitive function tests 50:58 Wrapping up

4 Likes

Cancer detection clearly an A.

Dexa and CGM don’t really fit into his categories. Do they work? Absolutely. But do you need them? I question that.

I think the problem is the Matt K. Has made the same mistake as others in that he has decided that since he’s an expert in one area, he considers himself an expert in a much wider area.

4 Likes

He shared his opinion. Do you have to be an expert to have an opinion? Are you an expert in opinions?