Question as to what to do with my protocol

How would you suggest doing this.

The canonical (and perhaps best) method would be to simply go on a fast.

A potential benefit of raising acetyl-CoA levels via this method is that, under these conditions, the cell is more prone to express beneficial genes associated with caloric restriction, such as autophagy and protein recycling. Arguably this provides optimal conditions for increasing histone acetylation, so the cell can properly activate these beneficial genes in response to fasting.

1 Like

Thatā€™s an interesting thought. It happens that I have mainly fasted today apart from taking 20g of citrate. There is a timing issue that acetyl coa levels need to be high when the cell wants to transcribe the genes.

1 Like

Would also note the additional benefits of taking electrolytes during a fast for promoting acetyl-CoA activity as you mentioned. There are perhaps other synergistic supplements to consider too, carnitine comes to mind.

I do actually take carnitine, but I have not identified any effects from it (which is not surprising its hard to allocate specific results to specific inputs). In the round I am quite pleased with progress so far and for the first time my resting heart rate is below 50 beats per minute (it was 49 last night).

I am unusual in the biohacking community because I am also an intermittent binge drinker. I, however, am thinking of reducing my drinking days to 1 per week (or even giving it a miss for a bit) to see where I can get to in terms of RHR (and moreso MCV really which is my worst biomarker).

I started fasting every other day when I came back from holiday although I did get drunk instead on some of the days (which results in me eating more). However, I think I may focus on alternate day fasting for a bit longer.

6 Likes

Itā€™s too bad so many things we like are bad for us. I rarely drink anymore, not because it is healthier, just because as I have grown older I like the effects of alcohol less and less.
While I was on a low-dose trial of naltrexone LDN at night before bedtime, I was drinking a glass of wine and wondered why it didnā€™t taste right. The odd taste made me think the wine was bad, then I remembered I was taking LDN. It didnā€™t make me sick or anything, but I didnā€™t finish the glass of wine.
I wonder if anyone else has noticed this on LDN. If I drank very much it would certainly cut down my drinking, at least wine. I donā€™t know of its effect on the taste of beer, etc.

I dont take LDN and i quite like alcoholic drinks. I use dihydromrycetin, pantethine, korean pear/bae and melatonin to minimise the negative aspects of alcohol.

The bright and the dark sides of L-carnitine supplementation: a systematic review | Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full Text l-carnitine has TMAO which is pro-Atherogenic. (hardening of the arteries.) is supplementing safe?

2 Likes

I really donā€™t know where to post this as I am loathe to start a new thread.

FWIW:
I may be late to the party but I found an AI app that provides actual findable citations to questions instead of sometimes phony or fictitious citations provided by Chat.ai
It is currently free, at least for the time being. It is also available as an extension for Google Chrome.

ā€œScite is a Brooklyn-based startup that helps researchers better discover and understand research articles through Smart Citationsā€“citations that display the context of the citation and describe whether the article provides supporting or contrasting evidence. scite is used by students and researchers from around the world and is funded in part by the National Science Foundation and the National Institute on Drug Abuse of the National Institutes of Health.ā€

Update:
Apparently, I either landed inadvertently or was one of the last to use it before it became no longer free.
You can get a 7-day free trial, after that it is $12 to $20 per month depending on how you choose to pay

2 Likes

From the paper

Thus, whether TMAO is an atherogenic factor responsible for the development and progression of cardiovascular disease, or simply a marker of an underlined pathology, remains unclear [85].

IMO atherosclerosisā€™ underlying cause is senescence in epithelial cells exacerbated by various things. Even the paper seems to misrepresent itself in the conclusion and I donā€™t think it provides a good reason to stop Carnitine supplementation.

Thank you for sharing this, @John_Hemming ā€” it has me thinking ā€œwhat else should I do (or change) for my optimal stack?ā€. (I also curious about Greg Fayeā€™s thymus protocol, and maybe introducing senolytics, but this is a different topic.)

One immediate question though: you caution in your protocol post ā€œBefore doing anything it really is worth having a baseline.ā€ Very sound advice, of course. However, the challenge I am finding in everything I do is that I go and ā€œtake a baselineā€ of tests, and then only later it is revealed than I didnā€™t have a specific baseline test I needed. For instance, I probably should have tested vitamin d, DHT, and testosterone (free and etc) BEFORE I started weightlifting heavy weights as I believe these changed (from ancillary evidence I experienced) although I did not expect this (because papers and doctor podcasts assured me this wasnā€™t possible (spoiler: they were likely wrong, or I am an outlier) ā€” but now Iā€™ll never know. Same with going low-carb three years ago: I knew I needed LDL checked, but had no idea of particle size/etc. was even a thing. Same with Apo/etc and CAC scores ā€” no idea I needed this. Iā€™d love to hear from the inventor what is recommended.

So my question is: what specific tests do you recommend if we are to consider your protocol (sans planning for the binge drinking, which I, too, occasionally engage in when I see my college roommate ā€” probably stupid with one kidney, but I feel great, donā€™t generally get hungover, and my eGFR is roughly 90 so my one kidney is pumping as good as a health two-kidney person).

Thank you.

The one thing you need to make sure you get in the baseline is hsCRP. Otherwise a general panel will do with Kidney, Liver, Blood, Cholesterol etc. The more the merrier, but often a lab will offer a standard baseline for a set price. You may already have a set of tests you could use.

My protocol is likely to be considered to be a senomorphic protocol anyway in that it is designed to enable senescent cells to function properly.

I think it is a good idea to track Vitamin D. However, in many ways Vitamin D stands alone as it is affected by metabolism of vitamin D and inputs.

2 Likes

Not LDN, but after the COVID infection, I donā€™t like to drink alcohol. I just donā€™t like the taste anymore, and I donā€™t like the buzz either.

When I drink beer or wine, itā€™s like my body doesnā€™t react as it did before. A tiny glass of my favorite cognac might be a bit pleasant.

1 Like

I have been doing a bit more research on ā€¦ surprise surprise ā€¦ citrate and found some interesting papers

I did think that citrate would prevent the creation of alternative splicings that cause issues with prostate cancer, but these were quite helpful additional papers.

My view as to one reason why cancer is more prevalent as people get older is ā€¦ a shortage of citrate in the cytosol.

5 Likes

As citrate is one way to absorb magnesium, I have changed my magnesium threonate supplement to magnesium citrate.

Itā€™s also a lot cheaper.

5 Likes

I have mentioned Calcium through this. If people are starting to take a higher quantity of citrate (say over 5g) then Calcium needs to be thought about carefully. It is complex and I would not wish to say anything other than it needs to be considered.

A sign of calcium depletion is an increase in blood pressure. If anyone trying this protocol is not supplementing with calcium citrate at all and encounters an increase in blood pressure calcium depletion should be considered as a cause. (for which one solution to be considered is calcium citrate). However, this is complicated and would need consideration for each individual as calcium in the diet is also important.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been thinking about adding calcium to my dinner to bind to oxylates.

1 Like

The patent has now published. I attach it.

WO2023199024-A1 (7837767).PDF (3.3 MB)

8 Likes

The RDA for calcium is around 1000 mg, for those of us who donā€™t drink milk, calcium citrate should be a superior calcium supplement?

I obviously take a lot myself.

1 Like