People born after 1965 may be aging faster than chronological age (which increases cancer risk)

https://www.aacr.org/about-the-aacr/newsroom/news-releases/accelerated-aging-may-increase-the-risk-of-early-onset-cancers-in-younger-generations/

Accelerated Aging May Increase the Risk of Early-onset Cancers in Younger Generations

Tian and colleagues first evaluated accelerated aging across birth cohorts and found that individuals born in or after 1965 had a 17% higher likelihood of accelerated aging than those born between 1950 and 1954. They then evaluated the association between accelerated aging and the risk of early-onset cancers. They found that each standard deviation increase in accelerated aging was associated with a 42% increased risk of early-onset lung cancer, a 22% increased risk of early-onset gastrointestinal cancer, and a 36% increased risk of early-onset uterine cancer.

3 Likes

I wonder what the confounders might be… ultra processed food intake, obesity, lack of exercise… I wonder how well they removed these in their study.

2 Likes

Would love to see the actual paper, but my impression was they aren’t trying to take those factors out necessarily as much as just noting that people are aging faster than they used to (and maybe it even is due to these factors becoming more prevalent in the world)

2 Likes

I seemed to be aging like s*** until I started intervention. A few years in and people went from estimating me to be 5 years older than I was to 5 years younger.

6 Likes
1 Like

From personal observation: I live near a middle school and see the kids walking to school when I am out and about. There is a tremendously higher percentage of kids who are overweight and fat than when I went to school.

When I was that age the number of “fat” kids was tiny. I often had classes with zero-fat kids. This also applies to a a nearby high school.
That coupled with the terrible food choices that are making them obese it no wonder that ACM is increasing.

6 Likes

The kids are fat and also big — overgrown, taller, bigger boned, wider set, they’re getting defined jawlines or double chins (the ying and yang of lower face attractiveness) by 6th grade. I see 7th graders look like fully grown women. It’s quite incredible and methinks speaks of general mTOR upregulation, which would dovetail into the observation of accelerated aging in other respects. I don’t know what’s causing this. All I know is my own kids look like stark exceptions — they almost look like waifs compared to their peers. And Lord knows they don’t eat nearly as healthy as I wish they did so I can only imagine what’s for dinner at double chinnny chin chin’s home.

8 Likes
3 Likes

I do wonder if semaglutide and glp-1 friends may turn out to be a “longevity” drug of sorts. Not extending maximum lifespan, but reversing the lifespan decline / accelerated aging due to obesity.

1 Like

GIP/GLP-1 agonists are looking solid for longevity and neurocognitive protection, both with AD and PD. We need more data, but I’m using them as part of a set of things for individuals wanting to protect their brains … but I think anything that is good for the brain is probably also going to extend longevity. I just wish we had more evidence … however, we will get there as there is $$ to be made by pharma (unlike w/ Rapamycin, metformin, or Methylene Blue).

4 Likes