Outlive - Peter Attia

For sure cytokines blood panel is the first to show changes in inflammation, infectious and non-infectious (e.g. autoimmune). Do you have any specific area, problem, you are interested or just as a preventative diagnostic measure?
IMO hs-CRP is good enough… IL-6 might show some early (especially autoimmune) processes, but I personally would not bother if I would not have specific problems or other risk factors for certain processes (e.g. elevated markers for certain degenerative processes, high BP, BS, lipids…).

1 Like

GlycA is an especially good marker for integrating inflammatory markers; it predicts total and CVD mortality as well or better than other inflammatory markers including hsCRP and IL-6, and it’s uniquely predictive of cancer mortality.

Circulating N-Linked Glycoprotein Acetyls and Longitudinal Mortality Risk

2 Likes

Apparently as IL-6 and TNFALPHA are both parts of the overall immune system they were tested as part of a safety protocol to see what effect if any the Rapa is having on all aspects of the immune system.
We did find on my final dose level that neutrophils were dropping too low. This other part of my immune system that had gone sky high was not dampened down by the Rapa and I suppose could have been compensating for the reduced neutrophils.
Apart from the safety aspect, not really any other reason to test for those.

2 Likes

Good research. My information was from several years back when the practice was known as Attia Medical. Now he has moved on and may well accept a new patient who is willing AND able to pay his consultation fee. Maybe ObamaCare will cover it. (jk)

1 Like

Other than becoming famous through self-promotion and Youtube videos, etc., I don’t value his opinion over my own physician who works for a university medical center when he could be making much more in private practice.

3 Likes

Thank you all!

Very interesting. Can you get this at a normal lab, any sense of the cost?

for sure it is interesting. I dug a bit deeper yesterday, read some studies and also wanted to know whether I can take the test locally, but I only found 123850: GlycA | Labcorp
I phoned local clinic with nuclear medicine lab and they said they are not offering it… (I live in Europe)

But some reading also got me to this, which poses a question if you want to really know your glycA levels.

But a person’s ability to learn their GlycA profile raises an ethical question, since there’s no known treatment for tweaking it.
“If we can find something that also lowers the health risks indicated by GlycA, then it may be useful to take. Until then, I think it is better not knowing,” Kettunen said.

1 Like

FWIW

The leader in the field Glycosylation testing is Aleksandar Vojta
Associate Professor at University of Zagreb, Faculty of Science
University of Zagreb, Faculty of Science.

The link below is from his company that preforms laboratory testing.

I do not have any financial interest in his company.

Review:

2 Likes

Yes… Alex Vojta is my personal consultant with my GlycanAge tests… long thoughtful conversations of over an hour… twice.

He is fascinated by rapamycin and my results. He wasn’t on it my last visit… but was thinking hard about it.

I just took my 3rd GlycanAge test and will probably chat with Alex again in a few weeks.

Can’t wait.

5 Likes

For sure I will have a deeper look into this. Thx.
But as far as I can see it is offering just a comprehensive plasma IgG glycans testing which is different from glycA test above or am I mistaken?

1 Like

Even at a repeat user discount… the full GlycanAge testing with consult was $286.
So might be different.

You can get it as a special order from Life Extension at LabCorp; I imagine you can also get it at LC locations by paying cash, but haven’t tried it.

That is a head-in-the-sand attitude IMO.

The GlycanAge test is not GlycA. It’s not intended for the same purpose. I’m not actually convinced that GlycanAge is a useful test, but even if it is what it claims to be (a biological age test), it’s not an integrated marker of inflammation like GlycA and hasn’t been similarly validated in large prospective studies.

3 Likes

Hmmm…??
I will ask Alex his thoughts about GlycA when we visit next. He believes in the GlycanAge tests.

Thanks.

1 Like

Did you review/read any of the published papers listed at the link I posted above?

Reposting the link;

And have you review/read or researched any of the testing method of each?

“glycanage” is a ™ test name

IG’s (immunoglobulin’s - IgM, IgG, and/or IgA] glycan testing is preformed by more than one method.

Review;

Chapter 7 Biological Functions of Glycans

1 Like

I’m well aware of that: that’s why I commented separately on the purposes and merits of GlycanAge and GlycA. They both test protein glycans, just as both antibody tests for COVID and for autoreactive IgGs test for antibodies. But they’re testing different things and are intended for different purposes.

1 Like

Unless he has something proprietary, (and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t) that’s a ridiculously outrageous fee. However, the market has spoken.

2 Likes

Once they get a little fame, they have no shame.

3 Likes

I don’t know what one gets from his medical practice that one hasn’t gotten for free from him (or from a small fee to read/listen to his FAQ’s etc).

3 Likes

Some people like a Mercedes-Benz S600 Maybach{this usually includes a full-time chauffeur] or an Audi A8 L Extended. Both vehicles are in the same cost range.

The saying; if you have to ask what the cost is to operate you can not afford it.

Some people use public transportation to get to their locations.

Supposedly the King/Prince of Saudi Arabia goes to the Mayo Clinic once a year for his physical at a reported cost in the 2.5 million range.

The fact is most people do not have the re$ource$ for concierge/VIP medicine.

You can preform your own appendectomy

Most people would pay to have this performed.

4 Likes

Honestly, you have to be in the top 1% (0.5%?) of income generation to be able to afford Dr. Attia’s fees of $150,000+ USD a year. Most people would prefer to read his book, browse this forum and hire a personal fitness coach (and a dietician if inclined) for similar results at a much more reasonable price.

When I look at the bill for my supplement stack, I am quite shocked (impressed?) by how much the costs add up! A normal middle-class individual would never pay for it.

However, most individuals in the bottom 90% of income generation would scoff at spending more than the cost of a daily multivitamin (and maybe Omega 3s) on preventative medicine. They’ve bought into the mythology that supplements equal expensive excrement. Heck, buying organic vegetables is a luxury for most.

And then there’s the Coca-Cola, McDonald’s, candy, potato chips crowd…

There are many many many distinct individuals with their own distinct ideas on life. I am glad to find like-minded individuals here. Thanks, everyone for helping me realize I am not alone in wanting good preventative health options.

9 Likes