Optimal Blood Pressure we Should Target? Systolic Under 110 or 100?

Is 98/67 a good/acceptable BP for someone not taking meds? I’m thinking yes but figured I’d check as there seems to be a lot of info on BP and I’m not completely up on the latest! Thanks

2 Likes

Do you faint often? Do you feel dizzy? If you aren’t suffering from the symptoms of low blood pressure, I’d say you are fine. However, I’m targeting 100/60 myself and it seems like 98/67 is pretty darn good!

That being said, I don’t think I would add any BP meds to your supplement stack. You’re all good in my book! :slight_smile:

Normal blood pressure is usually considered to be between 90/60 mmHg and 120/80 mmHg. For over-80s, because it’s normal for arteries to get stiffer as we get older, the ideal blood pressure is under 150/90 mmHg (or 145/85 mmHg at home).

High blood pressure (Hypertension) - BHF).

2 Likes

@DeStrider, Thank you sir! I feel great.

1 Like

I see no problem at all as long as you feel good

3 Likes

It’s wise to consider pulse pressure (PP) when looking at BP, too high or too low can mean issues.

Yours is 98/67 so your pulse pressure (pp) is 98-67 or 31.

Pulse pressure is considered low if it is less than 25% of the systolic. (For example, if the systolic pressure is 120 mmHg, then the pulse pressure would be considered low if it is less than 30 mmHg, since 30 is 25% of 120.) https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2011.00915.x

Yours is 98, so “too low,” an undesirable pp for you would be = <98 x 0.25 = 25 or less. It would appear that you’re comfortably above 25. Now, if your pp was narrowing over time, and moving closer to 25, then that could indicate cardiac issues such as heart failure.

Most likely as the years pass you by, your PP will slowly increase.

Bottom line: If your BP + PP have been like that for the past twenty years, and as mentioned by others that you have no s/s such as feeling dizzy when you stand up, you have good genes and likely lower cardiac risk.

1 Like

Thank you @Justin, that’s very helpful information sir.

FWIW

A basic overview.

1 Like