Opinion about Finasteride and DHT

Roughly 5% of men his age suffer from depression. I don’t think you can single out finasteride for it.

You mean 5 years?

You are right, semaglutide was approved for the treatment of t2 diabetes in December 2017.

If there is a potential that there would be some permanent changes I think this is too risky for myself.

A risk which has never been seen in actual placebo-controlled, randomized trials in the decades since finasteride was first approved. Many complications such as erectile dysfunction, depression, loss of libido, … are also age related conditions so would occur either way with or without finasteride. It’s easy to blame a single drug for all your problems though when you are already not of the best state of mind when dealing with hairloss.

If I add into this equation that finasteride while shrinking your prostate does not really prevent cancer

As I posted above, it may or may not reduce the overall rate of prostate cancers but it will certainly keep your prostate from interfering with urination.

I don’t think it is worth taking the risk of having few hairs more.

From the clinical studies we have, finasteride and dutasteride have a very good safety profile and while wanting to have hair may seem vain to you, it’s an important aspect of longevity for many of us. I don’t want to look or feel 80 when I’m 80 as that kinda defeats the whole purpose.

1 Like

I’ve only started looking into non-surgical ways to shrink a prostate, but I really haven’t come across a lot of attractive alternatives to finasteride. There seem to be numerous up-and-coming treatments for prostate issues, but these have not trickled down to the standard of care, average doctor. While I don’t care about possible hair benefits, I may at some point give finasteride a try.

2 Likes

There is no possibility of permanent side effects from finasteride, I do not care what anyone has to say about this. You will not change my mind. When men inject anabolic steroids, they completely shut down their HPTA, completely shut down their endogenous sex hormone production, and even after YEARS of this in some cases, when they cease administration of exogenous hormones and go through proper PCT, natural hormone production resumes, in most cases with no problems whatsoever.

This is LEAGUES beyond what finasteride does, and there are very few cases of permanent changes from it. I just don’t buy that suppressing one enzyme responsible for the production of one hormone at the end of the chain has lasting effects.

4 Likes

AIUI. prostate issues relate in part to aberrant splicing. Hence I think citrate supplementation may help. All I have in terms of data at the moment is a dose dependent response with PSA. but if someone was up for trying this it would be interesting.

Thanks, I’ll look into that.

There are a lot of papers that look at this. This is only one:

Search for aberrant splicing and prostate cancer.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/ebiom/article/PIIS2352-3964(19)30749-2/fulltext

Quite a few cancers relate to splicing variants. My citrate protocol is designed to directly impact on splicing variants through increasing the levels of acetyl-CoA in the nucleus.

As far as my own results are concerned my PSA was never that high, but as I have increased citrate supplementation the PSA has gone down. (last value 0.68 mcg/l)

2 Likes

Do we agree that during finasteride is possible depression?
If yes, please consider that brain is more complicated then turn on, turn off switch, as building muscle.
Plenty of reports of people that use hallucinogenics, and consider the life completely different after.
Plenty of reports of people that use drugs, and triggers schizophrenia, and there is no turning back.
New connections were formed? New equilibrium achieved?
Why couldn’t finasteride trigger depression, and then be a hard path to recover?
I consider brain complex, makes sense the post finasteride sindrome.

1 Like

I consider it possible, though exceedingly unlikely, and this is supported by the research as well.

It’s interesting to me that you chose psychedelics as an example, as I believe this demonstrates the opposite of the conclusion you wish to draw. I’ve used psychedelics plenty myself, and you’re right, the brain can rewire itself to a pretty remarkable extent. Therefore I see no reason why lowered DHT levels would not be easy for the brain to adapt to.

And even if we disagree there, post finasteride syndrome makes no sense because the 5ar inhibition is temporary. Makes no sense why the side effects would be permanent. If finasteride does trigger something permanent based on a temporary dip in hormone levels, it’s far more likely there was another underlying problem anyway.

2 Likes

The thing with finasteride is that it doesn’t affect the 5ar type 1 enzyme in the brain. Finasteride is a selective 5ar2/3 inhibitor only.

2 Likes

I have discontinued the use of Finasteride. Even at the low dose, I am starting to get mood swings that take me into a dark place. I’d rather lose some hair than my sunny outlook on life.

5 Likes

Some people get depression just by losing their hair. In any case it’s a personal decision everyone has to make by themselves.

2 Likes

How long have you been on finasteride?

I have been off and on it for a couple months each time. The first time I quit due to testicular pain. This time I am quitting due to reduced libido and anxiety. It just doesn’t work well with my biology.

1 Like

If you want to keep the hair maybe have a look at dutasteride scalp mesotherapy. Supposedly is as effective as oral with minimal systemic effect. I don’t remember exactly the details, but finasteride on the other hand would have a systemic effect even on topical/intradermal administration, dutasteride higher molecular mass makes it have mostly local effects on hair follicles.

2 Likes

Not sure how anyone can watch that Attia talk and then still take Finasteride.

1 Like

Because it has 30 years of human use behind it and even more years of research showing its safety and efficiacy. It’s a medication I tolerate very well and don’t get any side effects from. If I listened to every quack doctor (such as the people Attia invited to talk about finasteride) I would be a bald antivaxxer on keto.
Why is it that so many people on here and elsewhere have a deep distrust of conventional medications (“finasteride gives you PFS!”, “statins give you diabetes and do nothing to prevent heart disease!”, “ozempic gives you deadly cramps didn’t you read so on the NYT? Healthy at every size even at 450lbs!”) but seem to put completely trust in research chemicals, Chinese amazon supplements or off-label medications?

3 Likes

Wow, you kinda went off the rails on that one.

2 Likes

You better stay with your youtube gurus!

Here’s an expert with even more credentials.
David A. Sinclair - Wikipedia

If doctors (or people with PhDs) start making strong claims without clinical human studies backing up their statements they are simply not trustworthy.

2 Likes

Because it genuinely angers me. You and other people make statements condemning the use of classical medication such as statins or finasteride while at the same time taking rapamycin which has potentially deadly side effects (infection). We don’t even have clinical studies in humans showing it increases lifespan at the dosages and intervals generally taken. If one is willing to take it anyway (I do) and make a bet on its pro-longevity effects, they don’t have the right (imo) to condemn medications that were far better studied for the effect they are intended for.

5 Likes