Off-label medications to improve sleep quality and quantity

Thanks for the feedback. Yes theoretically pregabalin in non-addictive. However, I know here in the UK many people have addition issues with this drug.

The pregabalin has served me very well so far but today I am switching to 50mg of trazodone instead and will compare the effect.

1 Like

Nice to hear re your success!!! I’ve been a light sleeper, popping awake 2-4am.

For many years I’ve taken all the herbals, and at high doses. BUT recently my wife found:

2 grams of glycine, 2 capsules of Mg glycinate. Others here add Ashwanaganda, I have for yrs, and L-Theanine, I have too for yrs. But adding the glycine and Mg glycinate has been very effective for me. 1g glycine and a decent dose of Mg glycinate. Add the rest I feel they are helpful.

Good luck to all, curt

1 Like

Pregabalin (Lyrica) is a controlled substance " Both Lyrica and Lyrica CR are classified as schedule V controlled substances because of reports of euphoria, improved happiness, excitement, or calmness, and a “high” similar to marijuana with use of pregabalin.
It’s approved for the treatment of epilepsy and neuropathic pain.
Trazodone is an old drug for depression, but at low doses it helps with sleep. Many people feel groggy after.

The version of dramamine that increases life expectancy is the non-drowsy version called meclazine.

1 Like

Have you tried using a bright light in the morning? This one changed my sleep dramatically and immediately. Not only do I fall asleep quickly, if I wake up in the middle of the night I can go back to sleep.

I’ve used these kinds of lights before but this one is the best I’ve found.

4 Likes

I see no reference to dementia or Alzheimer from this drug which is a benzo. You should check your references again.

1 Like

Trazodone is also great for better erections.

4 Likes

I had a similar pattern. I’m sleeping much better with 3mg of melatonin and 300mg of gabapentin nightly.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, dramamine (generic name dimenhydrinate) has an ACB score of 3 (an anticholinergic)!! Meclizine is also a 3 as is diphenhydramine. Check out: https://gwep.med.ucla.edu/files/view/docs/initiative2/conferences/Anticholinergic-Burden-Scale.pdf

3 Likes

I may try meclizine instead of diphenhydramine which I occasionally take to induce sleep. And perhaps I’ll live a little longer too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, erections while simultaneously falling asleep.

2 Likes

@DrM Reminds me of the classic mnemonic “trazabone” haha - sorry couldn’t help myself.

4 Likes

New update since my original thread (haven’t been actively participating on this forum lately - although still reading daily!)

6 weeks into trazodone use and I do see improvements in sleep quality compared to baseline + no drowsiness. Less wake ups. Doesn’t seem to have modified either REM or deep sleep numbers in any way.

However, as above comment notes - trazobone should be the name. 50mg if the and dose for me, I tried 100mg couple of times but the erections actually become a distraction from sleeping at that dosage.

Overall, I prefer pregabalin and plan to revert. I feel like pregabalin is slightly more effective in reducing my frequent wake ups and no unwanted erections.

I still plan to tinker a little more with the trazodone/pregabalin dosages or combo and will update again in a month or so

3 Likes

Perhaps the beta ‘Sleep’ tracker that Oura has/will be releasing might include a new measure for Latency as it does for other markers……
You might find your Latency to be better. I have found my markers to be generally improved using the beta version (especially Deep sleep - an increase of between 30-60 mins an evening when using the beta version).

Wishing you the best too! I agree that quality sleep is sooo important and I’m glad to hear you’re faring better :grinning:

1 Like

Hi DMac - thanks for the info. Actually, I never have any issue with latency. If anything, my latency is sometimes too short (which oura also penalises). My issue is more around frequent wake ups, restfulness and waking up too early.

But yes thanks for the tip I will monitor my scores

1 Like

Suggest melatonin whenever you wake up at night.

Has anyone yet tried (or have a patient taking) any of the newer Orexin antagonist meds which are specifically indicated for sleep, such as Quviviq? They seem great on paper (non-addictive, preserve sleep quality, no anticholinergic effects, minimal effects on alertness, etc).

For those taking Glycine, would you expect to get the same benefit from 10g of collagen peptides (~30% glycine)?

Interesting, had not heard of them.

1 Like

Just cycled through a test again with my meds:

75mg pregabalin for a few days
50mg trazodone for a few days
Nothing for a few days (apart from usual 3G glycine and 600mg ashwagandha)

My subjective sleep ratings:

75mg pregabalin = 8/10
50mg trazodone = 6.5/10
Baseline = 4/10

2 Likes