Metformin and rapamycin

If you are fainting, that is a sign of serious hypoglycemia. You were probably taking too much Metformin which would lower your blood sugar too much. If you feel like fainting, you can drink a Coke or eat a small piece of candy and the symptoms of hypoglycemia should abate in about 10 minutes.

If you are hypoglycemic, you should cut back on your Metformin or avoid taking it.

If you want to know how much Metformin I take, look at the topic DeStrider’s Rapa Protocol.

4 Likes

Metformin is a 1st line agent for diabetics due to it’s very, very low incidence of hypoglycemia. Yes, there is risk of hypoglycemia when metformin is used with insulin or sulfonylureas (glyburide, glipizide, glimepiride) but low blood sugar is due to those drugs, not the metformin. Without other contributing factors like this, patients do not become hypoglycemic on metformin alone.

4 Likes

Exactly. I take Metformin 1 gram a day, sometimes 2. Depending on how much carbs I eat. I have also taken Acarbose, still do. But at a lower doze and intervals. I did sometimes get hypoglycemia from Acarbose, But never from Metformin.

1 Like

Only one 500mg per day and still would do that to me. But I never tried to eat something sweet, maybe I should have (prefer raw honey, unless i must have coke lol. I think it’s been at least 20 years that have not had a soft drink/poison). I might give it a try again because I had loaded up with 300 pills, and if I feel weak or fainting I’ll get a nice spoonful of raw honey.

Where did you get this information? None of the rapamycin researchers have ever brought this up, that I’ve seen or heard.

7 Likes

Here is information about Acarbose. Note that the longevity effect has only been seen in male mice:

Here: Acarbose - Details On Another Top Anti-Aging Drug

2 Likes

I am sorry but you are incorrect. If you take Metformin as prescribed by your doctor it is rare to get hypoglycemia. However if you have low blood sugar or normal blood sugar and you take too much Metformin, you will get low blood sugar. I have done it myself with Metformin. Dizziness and fainting is a sign of hypoglycemia which is also known as low blood sugar. If you don’t believe me, you can ask your doctor.

Hypoglycemia becomes an issue when non diabetics self medicate with Metformin using large doses.

2 Likes

You could always stop the Metformin temporarily when you start Rapa to check for side effects.

1 Like

I’m not incorrect in saying it’s very rare to get hypoglycemia with metformin alone. Like one in a million patient years rare. You may be that special one in a million person with how you respond to metformin, but I also doubt you take it without other drugs and supplements possibly contributing.

2 Likes

Of course, I take other drugs and supplements that influence this such as acarbose. People who are taking Metformin are most likely doing the same. I am not diabetic and I normally have low blood sugar. I am taking Metformin to counteract the increased blood sugar due to Rapamycin.

In many cases, people here are taking Metformin off-label. This can lead to hypoglycemia due to improper dosing.

If you are taking Metformin as prescribed by your doctor to treat diabetes, it is highly rare to get hypoglycemia.

If you are non-diabetic with low or normal blood sugar and you take Metformin off-label, you are at risk of getting hypoglycemia.

I believe the original poster, as well as many of the members of this forum, are the latter case.

1 Like

This is the full text of the link you just provided. Which is exactly what I’ve been saying in my previous posts. Emphasis mine:

Metformin rarely produces hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels) because it does not change how much insulin is secreted by the pancreas and does not cause high insulin levels. But metformin toxicity or overdosage that causes lactic acidosis has been associated with hypoglycemia. Experts believe the cause may be increased glucose consumption due to anaerobic metabolism, coupled with a decreased oral intake of food and carbohydrates, decreased liver glucose production, and decreased glucose absorption.

The combination of metformin with a persistently poor diet or other medications that can cause hypoglycemia, such as sulfonylureas, can also lead to hypoglycemia.

When metformin is taken as directed by a doctor it does not cause hypoglycemia.

We were not talking about metformin overdose, so the one example given in your link is not relevant here.

2 Likes

Im worried about taking metformin as I usually eat once or twice a day and fast 18 hours a day… I wonder if it’s ok to fast and metformin at the same time? I know intermittent fasting can lower blood sugar so combining with metformin , more risk of low sugar? I also calorie restrict some days.

I wonder if acarbose would be safer when fasting/calorie restriction

1 Like

I have never experienced hypoglycemia on acarbose, but I haven’t been taking it that long. Hypoglycemia isn’t terrible unless you don’t address it. When I experience it, I get a cold sweat, nausea and the feeling of fainting somewhat like motion sickness. If you feel these symptoms and you suspect it is hypoglycemia, you can drink a can of Coke or soda and the symptoms should abate in about 10 minutes. I take Metformin on the day I take Rapa (1 g) and the day after (500 mg) only. I used to take it every other day (500 mg) but stopped when I started taking acarbose. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

awesome, thanks for the info.

Do you take acarbose everyday?or just with carb heavy meals?

1 Like

3 times a day. Once with each meal.

1 Like

I would just try the Metformin and see how you get on. I started daily 1g Metformin last November (not diabetic and normal HbA1c before starting). It took about three weeks for my GI system to get used to it but fine ever since. I have also added 50mg Acarbose with each meal since April. Again no issues with hypoglycaemia. I only started Rapamycin at the end of April so am still building up my dose. I also fast for a minimum of 18 hours per day. I tend to take the Metformin on an empty stomach within an hour of waking up. I recently tried a CGM out of interest. The thing I noticed was that my post meal glucose rise took much longer than I was expecting, usually peaking about 3 hours after a meal and taking a similar time to fall back to normal. I rarely went above a level of 9 mmol/L even after a high carb meal. I usually weigh between 126-130 lbs and have just under 18% body fat if that’s any help. I didn’t do any tests with the CGM without taking the Metformin or Acarbose because I don’t intend to stop taking either of them unless the research changes.

2 Likes

I take both metformin and Sirolimus, as prescribed by my physician.

2 Likes

I take 1g of Metformin daily and eat once a day.
Never had any problems.
Metformin reduces hepatic glucose secretion, it won’t mess with your insulin.

1 Like

I recall reading somewhere that Metformin taken after age 70 had a negative impact, I think it was in males. Can’t remember exact details. Anyone up on current research in that regard?

It may have been due to the impact on exercise. People over 70 need all the benefits of exercise they can get!

I am not aware of any other detrimental effects. But there may be something else out there.

2 Likes