Meds that decrease mortality

Not sure that Acarbose is common enough in the UK (tend to be mostly is Asian societies where populations don’t eat a lot of wheat and hence have less “side effects”). @adssx migh know if Acarbose was there but did not reach significance, it is a good question.

We discussed the paper here: First report from Epiterna on the search for drugs that can extend human lifespan

Acarbose wasn’t analyzed (you can check the supplemental material of the paper to see the whole dataset); it’s indeed extremely rare in the UK. In FY 2020, it was prescribed 26,742 times by the NHS in England (source). If I understand correct, this is not the number of patients but the number of boxes, so you can divide by 12 and you get… 2k people in England being on acarbose! To compare, metformin was prescribed 22,902,368 times and England has 56 million inhabitants.

1 Like

More meaningless correlations… let me take a quick stab at it…

#14 Atorvastatin - lower LDL - good
#13 Naproxen - used for sports related injuries - EXERCISE reduces mortality
#12 Otomize - used for SWIMMER’s ear… need I go on ?
#11 Viagara - Sex is very healthy, regular sex probably reduces mortality via various mechanisms
#10 Sumatriptan - WTF ?
#9 Estradiol - HRT
#8 Estriol - HRT
#7 Vagifem - MORE SEX
#6 Avaxim (hep A vax) - hepatitis is bad
#5 Lymecyline - lowers periodontal disease
#4 Estraderm - HRT
#3 Ovestin - HRT
#3 Revavax -REPAVAX - DTaP with IPV… wow who knew, vaccines actually reduce mortality - SHOCKING ! /s
#1 Marvelon (oral contraceptive) pregnancy is risky and aging

1 Like

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I’m not on any of those meds.

because you don’t have those problems…
you must had DTaP and IPV vaccinations though

2 Likes

Other statins were associated with lower lifespan in the paper: First report from Epiterna on the search for drugs that can extend human lifespan

The paper has some mistakes but it’s interesting and worth a read.

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing about the DAV therapy. It also made theorize that maybe we have a lot more chronic infections than we realize.

Then it made me question my tenuous grasp of the microbiome. Are the antibiotics just effecting the gut or do they serve additional functions?

1 Like

I’m throwing all my supplements in the trash and starting ear drops tomorrow.

1 Like

Is it bc supplements caused your ear infection?:grinning:

you have to earn that indication though thru… swimming in lots of dirty public pools !

@LaraPo I’m pretty sure he’s being sarcastic. :wink:

No doubt he was, and so was I :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

The capsules were getting stuck in my ear.

2 Likes

I’m taking some 30+ supplements. It’s too many and I feel tired of them. Need a serious plan to reduce.

2 Likes

Same here. I need to rank order them all, then every day take only the ones I think are critical and rotate the others.

2 Likes

I think I got my supplements down to 15.

3 Likes

Can you share the list? why or why not? Thanks

1 Like

Fish oil with vitamin D (Nordic naturals)
Magnesium (Magtein)
Multivitamin (PureEncapsulation Longevity)
Ashwaganda
Sulforaphane (Avmacol)
Rapamycin
Atorvastatin
Creatine
Taurine
Hydrolyzed Collagen
Novos Core (stops if formula not updated)

Trials:
Fatty 15
Akkermansia (Pendulum)
Polyphenol (Pendulum)

6 Likes

There is a popular school of thought that aromatase inhibitors are more dangerous long term than increased estradiol from testosterone conversion, and that the lab range for estradiol is only valid if someone isn’t on TRT. Some say it doesn’t even need to be tested as long as testosterone is in the upper range, because estrogen conversion is a positive thing from physiological testosterone dosages. Any thoughts?

1 Like

I stopped Novos Core for that exact reason. They don’t ever update the formula and still defend ingredients like fisetin and pterostilbene, while demonizing NAC and never correcting their position after we have new data over the last 3 1/2 years since they released the product. They also just released a really silly organ support chew product, so I’m out on Novos.

1 Like