Lower back pain: causes, treatment and prevention

His theory and method are rooted in psychoanalysis I believe.

Me too. I had to overcome my innate skepticism, but after two weeks of physical therapy I am nearly free of pain. When I first injured the back and could barely walk or sit, I had x-rays, MRIs, injections, and prednisone, which at least enabled me to function. But some level of nerve and muscle pain remained. The PT eliminated all of that. Remarkable.

P.S. Your post motivated me to make my first appointment.

2 Likes

The attia video is brilliant. Really interested in the comment that early hip replacements are mainly in men who overdid the deadlifts and women who have done 30 years of yoga.

1 Like

The conversation explains at great length why the psychosomatic argument is mistaken. I’m surprised to see so many people bring it up here without actually listening to the episode.

1 Like

@MoonLadder

Seems to me that an MRI provides empirical evidence, even if the images are sometimes misinterpreted.

I listened to the podcast, and they discussed the distinction between acute pain, which arises from injury, and chronic pain, which results from repeated injury and the body’s anticipation of pain. This anticipation contributes to the development of chronic pain.

1 Like

For anyone wanting to see stuart mcgill’s “Big 3” exercise recommendations for lower back pain. I’ve decided to do these prophylactically:

Research has shown that the most common cause of years lived with disability (YLD) is low back pain.”

1 Like