Longevity Vitamins; Taurine/carnosine, melatonin during meals to reduce the damaging effects of blood sugar?

Taurine significantly lowered the level of glycated hemoglobin (GHb) and lipid peroxidation in RBC exposed to high glucose concentrations. Stimulation of glucose utilization by RBC was significant in the presence of taurine both in normal and high glucose-treated RBC. The activities of Na+/K± and Ca2±ATPases in RBC membranes were significantly lowered in high glucose-treated RBC. Taurine treatment significantly prevented the reduction in activities of Na+/K± and Ca2±ATPases activities in high glucose-treated RBC. Conclusions: The results show that taurine is important for the physiological functions of RBCs and the effects of taurine on glucose-treated RBC may have potential therapeutic relevance in diabetes.

I hate taking too many pills in general, but knowing this makes it super-easy/trivial for me to take taurine in conjunction with marinara sauce or fruit (esp given taurine’s short half-life of 1-2 hours).

Consuming another source of extra calories to “reduce damage from another source of calories” generally isn’t the best idea, especially if that source of extra calories may be impure and contaminated by microplastics/heavy metals.

2 Likes

A couple teaspoons of Metamucil in water before meals may help to lower the glycemic index of the meal and slow down digestion, too. And provide extra fiber.

2 Likes

from the article above:

Taurine appears to ameliorate diabetes 1‑related complications in various organs through its antioxidant, anti‑inflammatory and anti‑hormonal actions

As a type 1 diabetic, I take 2 grams of taurine daily. Taurine also helps clear LDL and reduced the amount of oxidized LDL. See The potential health benefits of taurine in cardiovascular disease

2 Likes

You know - what about taking melatonin next to a high-ROS meal to reduce the damaging effects of it?

https://elicit.org/search?q=can+taking+melatonin+reduce+oxidative+stress+from+a+meal+high+in+saturated+fat%3F&token=01GP5NAGXK4WFWM9P0D1H8Y2JS

'[almost there but not yet=]

1 Like

Notably, oral administration of taurine in mice at doses of 500 and 1000 milligrams per kilogram body weight per day was associated with improvements in strength, coordination and cognitive functions

“per kg”… that’s huge… 500-1000 mg is a standard dose in a human.

I just realized that THE SIZE of taurine containers affects how much I take (smaller more portable containers). It’s more important to bring those w/me than metformin is. I’m already habituated to bringing acarbose w/me everywhere, so I should try taurine on top of it

3 Likes

Would dosing taurine once or twice a day at meals be fine, or does it need to be at every meal? I am thinking 2 g at breakfast and 2 g at dinner. Thoughts?

1 Like

What got my attention were some of the words to describe the results: “astounding” and “compelling”. Pretty powerful considering the source. I’d love to see the ITP run this through their system.

2 Likes

There can be the issue with taurine when it comes to people : it has about 1 hour half life - mice don’t have this problem because in tests they get taurine with food - so they get taurine the whole day (every time they eat) - so we don’t have 100% certainty if taurine once a day will be enough

1 Like

Because of the short half-life, I think I will try to add some to my pre-meal stack.

2 Likes

Interesting data about the absorption and metabolism of Taurine.

1 Like

FWIW

2 Likes

I am homozygous ApoE4… just learned that ppl in this category oxidize Omega 3 fatty acids before they can reach the brain. Do you have any ideas? I would hate to take a crazy amount of EPA/DHA, esp bcs I can’t find evidence that doing so would overcome this hurdle and help get enough Omegas into the brain. So far I started on mercola’s brand of Krill Oil since it is in the best absorbable form.

Any ApoE4 tips, Omegas 3 and beyond, would be greatly appreciated. TIA:-)

2 Likes

According to this paper, DHA does reach the brain in ApoE4 carriers, but at 1/3 the level in non-ApoE4 carriers. So it looks like you can use DHA, but need to take 3x the normal recommended amount of DHA+EPA. I use microalgae oil, which has the highest DHA/EPA ratio (and is Vegan as well) : All fish ultimately get their DHA + EPA from microalgae.

Brain delivery of supplemental docosahexaenoic acid (DHA): A randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/ebiom/PIIS2352-3964(20)30258-9.pdf

Another long shot is C15:0 a partly saturated fatty acid with similar benefits to DHA/EPA, but not subject to easy oxidation like DHA/EPA. But I could not find any research on the benefits of C15:0 on ApoE4 carriers : Essential Fatty Acid Supplement: C15:0 | fatty15

4 Likes

Ugh for me the equiv dose is like 43g/day. Obvs not realistic

Dosage Calculator

The decline in blood taurine concentration with age has been observed in mice, monkeys, and humans.

The taurine-fed mice (the dosage of taurine used in the study was 1,000 mg/kg once a day. To determine a corresponding dose for humans, you can use my Allometric Dose Scaling Calculator) showed increased survival rates, with a median lifespan increase of 10 to 12%, and improved life expectancy at 28 months by about 18 to 25%.

Additionally, taurine supplementation improved the functioning of various organs and systems, including bone, muscle, pancreas, brain, fat, gut, and immune system, leading to an overall increase in health span. Similar effects were observed in monkeys. Further investigations revealed that taurine positively influenced key aging markers such as cellular senescence, telomerase deficiency, mitochondrial dysfunction, DNA damage, and inflammation.

Human studies showed that lower taurine concentrations were associated with adverse health conditions, including abdominal obesity, hypertension, inflammation, and type 2 diabetes.

Notably, exercise increased taurine and its metabolite concentrations in the blood, suggesting a potential link between the antiaging effects of exercise and taurine.

Link in the comments.

1 Like

My recommendation is to use a reasonable dose. Like one TSP in your coffee. It’s better than sugar…

2 Likes

Is it reasonable for me to assume that if I am “suddenly” having vivid dreams specifically during the six months when I am eating sufficient animal protein (given there may be other issues with this) that I am getting sufficient taurine (with only GlyNAC and vitamin D as my only stack) and don’t need to separately supplament taurine? — i.e. is the vivid dreams a sufficient indicator of dose/effect?

Not unless you want some mercury and environmental toxins too.

2 Likes

Sorry, I missed that, @Victoria24 : I’m eating mostly beef and chicken with some fish (which all have some known issues, but I’m working on the auspices that al health choices are trade offs). But are you saying beef has a load of mercury similar to fish? If so, do you have recommendations of thoughts on how to detox myself?

No no, my response was to salmon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Late to the game but Salmon is pretty low on the list of mercury containing fish.

3 Likes