Longevity Resources from the Foresight Institute

I attended the San Francisco Longevity meetup on Thursday evening (highly recommended), they also have a sister organization in New York City. Longevity NYC has a meetup this coming Tuesday, November 15th. Details here:

Check the group out to learn more at their website here:

Longevity SF on Twitter:
https://mobile.twitter.com/longevitysf

At the meetup I met Aaron King who is one of the people who is focused on the longevity side of the Foresight organization. For those unfamiliar with the Foresight institute they are a small team that describe themselves as follows:

Foresight Institute is a research organization and non-profit that supports the beneficial development of high-impact technologies. Since our founding in 1987 on a vision of guiding powerful technologies, we have continued to evolve into a many-armed organization that focuses on several fields of science and technology that are too ambitious for legacy institutions to support. From molecular nanotechnology, to brain-computer interfaces, space exploration, cryptocommerce, and AI, Foresight gathers leading minds to advance research and accelerate progress toward flourishing futures.

Foresight has some good resources on their website that I think people here may find of interest.

A ton of good seminar videos at this link:

Aaron also showed me an interesting online map of the longevity / biotech / research field - what he called a “TechTree”. A screen capture at a high level is here, but you can focus and get more info on each area. I found it helpful to look at to see how they divide up the “industry” or field.

One of the more interesting segments of the market I was not aware of was the area of “head transplants” (putting older heads onto younger bodies; sort of the young blood approach taken to the natural extreme). And yes - people are apparently seriously looking at this.

To explore the Longevity TechTree yourself go here: Longevity Tech Tree - View-only

1 Like

Wow. Head transplantation is quite arcane. There was a famous lab that did it with monkeys successfully. Except they could not reconnect the spinal cord. They had a bunch of paraplegic monkeys!

2 Likes

1 Like

In this article, I will focus on several promising approaches for gradual brain replacement and, potentially, complete brain transplantation.
…

Head Transplantation - It May Be Closer to Reality Than You Think

The concept of head transplantation, technically termed cephalosomatic anastomosis, has rocked the media for many years. From the 1925’s Alexander Belyaev’s mad head transplant-performing scientist to Marvel’s gorilla-bodied and human-headed Gorilla-Man, the idea of brain transplantation has always been provoking the human consciousness. It quickly expanded from the written word to the movie screen and resulted in popular cinematographic pieces like 1962’s “The Brain That Wouldn’t Die”, the newer 2008’s “The X-Files: I Want to Believe”, or the newest one named “Altered Carbon”.

It didn’t begin or stop on the big screen or in literature. Experimental head transplants started as early as 1908 when a French surgeon named Alexis Carrel and an American scientist named Charles Claude Guthrie grafted the head of one dog to another, despite it proved mostly unsuccessful. Dogs went through another round of experiments with a Soviet surgeon named Vladimir Demikhov, who transplanted a dog’s head and the upper body onto another dog mostly to show how the blood supply connected, but the dogs managed to survive for almost a month.

1 Like

More on the longevity tree (diagram above):

Good news, I guess, for the startup companies pursing the head / brain transplant market:

Whole brain transplantation in man: Technically feasible

The unavailability of technologies that can successfully rejuvenate an aged body suggests that it is time to explore other options. BRAVE, the BRain Anastomosis Venture[3] is part of a larger scope project – PERSEUS – that aims at moving an old brain into a young immunoconditioned body (or a nonsentient clone tout court when this becomes available) and kick off rejuvenation of the brain, as afforded by Progressive Brain Replacement (J Hebert, accompanying editorial). The anchor of this project is the successful achievement of whole brain transplantation (BT).

Cephalosomatic anastomosis[2] might be construed as a form of BT, but the fact remains that – rejuvenation-wise-the aged face and other head tissues are left in situ, which defeats the purpose of enjoying a pristine body.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9805622/

1 Like

New Videos released by the Foresight Institute from their recent “Vision Weekend - France” (here are the longevity-focused videos):

1 Like

The have released some videos from their event in the US recently, this is the longevity panel, others are available via youtube.

This is a similar panel in France 2023

1 Like