Life Expectancy in the USA (Bad and Getting Worse)

“The longevity gap between men and women also grew by a couple of months in 2021. American women can now expect to live 79.1 years, almost six years longer than men, whose average life expectancy was 73.2 last year, according to the new data.”

Overall, the sharpest two-year decline in nearly 100 years - from average of 79 years to 73 years – a 6.5 years drop.

Link:

Damn! Based on this I have 8 years. Definitely plan on blowing that away by at least 27 years!! Yup 100 for me in great health!

12 Likes

Wow only 73 years for men in the US😱 and why such a large gap between men and women? It’s much smaller in most of Europe (the answer can’t be smoking)

3 Likes

A lot of it - excess weight and obesity!!

Although the U.S. health care system is among the best in the world, "Americans suffer from what experts have called “the U.S. health disadvantage,” an amalgam of influences that erode well-being, Dr. Woolf said.

These include a fragmented, profit-driven health care system; poor diet and a lack of physical activity; and pervasive risk factors such as smoking, widespread access to guns, poverty and pollution. "

“While the pandemic has driven most of the decline in life expectancy, a rise in accidental deaths and drug overdoses also contributed, as did deaths from heart disease, chronic liver disease and cirrhosis, the new report found.”

Rapamycin can help on the heart disease, liver disease and excess weight!

6 Likes

US men score lower even than the chain smoking, obese and continously sweet tea and coffee sipping Turkish men…

3 Likes

You can buy rapamycin over the counter in Turkey! Lol.

7 Likes

Ethnicity plays a role. Okinawans live a long time. Part of it is diet and part genetics. African American men die early. Hypertension, diabetes, and violence. When comparing data from different nation we need to try to look at the same ethnic groups. Japanese Americans vs mainland Japan vs Okinawa for example.

3 Likes

Sad news…

4 Likes

Obesity! The number one cause in my opinion. Poor diet, fast foods, etc.
Even many years ago when I returned from Europe with my family, when changing planes at the Atlanta airport, even my kids wanted to know why everyone was so fat. It was amazing how much fatter Americans were compared to the Europeans.

9 Likes

Rapamycin to the rescue?

5 Likes

It can’t all be COVID related. Here in Hong Kong, life expectancy has been going up every year.

The current life expectancy for Hong Kong in 2022 is 85.16 years, a 0.16% increase from 2021. The life expectancy for Hong Kong in 2021 was 85.03 years, a 0.16% increase from 2020.

Hong Kong - Historical Life Expectancy Data
Year Life Expectancy Growth Rate
2022 85.16 0.160%
2021 85.03 0.160%
2020 84.89 0.160%
The life expectancies at birth for both sexes have steadily increased during the past 51 years, from 67.8 years for males and 75.3 years for females in 1971 to 83.0 years and 87.7 years respectively in 2021.

4 Likes

Wow… We are also an outlier in traffic fatalities…

And still a leader in covid…

3 Likes

Possibly iron levels.

1 Like

from covid or with a positive (high cycle) pcr test… these numbers are pretty useless, the only way is to compare is to look at excess mortality

2 Likes

When Hong Kong has a fatal road accident, it makes the nightly news. No murders (except between family members or gangs), no guns, low crime, great public transport, free healthcare for all, healthy food, small portions, and fewer obese people. Domestic helpers for the elderly. There’s a reason people live longer here.

6 Likes

A question to our American members, what’s your opinion on US gun control laws?

1 Like

Well, obviously whatever laws there are here aren’t working, but lets not veer into US politics. As you may have heard, things are a little fractious here these days. Of course… Boris has shown things can be equally fractious/unharmonius in the UK :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Contrast that with Japan that had 10 firearm incidents for the whole year in 2021…

Blue is crime related. Black is others.

2 Likes

It has been estimated that on current trends, by 2050, 60% of males and 50% of females will be obese. The current trend shows that around 8% of 1–2-year-old obese children will become obese adults, and 80% of 10–14-year olds will become obese adults14. Obesity is a conduit to diabetes 2, cancer and CVD.

3 Likes

This is a huge reason why most doctors will look at you like you’re crazy for experimenting with rapamycin. Most of what they see all day is people in extreme, lifestyle-driven disease states. To them, if every person could just eat less and exercise a little, it would be a miracle on the level of the moon landing.

5 Likes

Poor metabolic health is accepted as normal because it is normal now. I recall thinking during the covid vaccine and mask mandate controversies–if they really want to save lives they would ban high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils… Such a move is even less politically palatable than gun laws. Tobacco has been effectively demonized, and weed is gaining mainstream acceptance. People are strange.

8 Likes