Irina Conboy Plasmapheresis Webinar

Thank you for the info. Most likely I won’t qualify having transplanted kidney.

5’4", ~93 lbs. I did not qualify based on weight. Indeed what RapaAdmin mentioned concerning donor safety and the amount of plasma relative to your BMI.

1 Like

The video of the Conboy discussion (in the first post of this thread) from a few weeks ago is now available on youtube. See below:

1 Like

She starts with the point that life and healthspan are not determined by the accumulation of damage, but by the efficiency of repair and renewal. I agree with this point and I think this is the key issue.

2 Likes

It appears Plasma donations seem to show similar changes as full TPE, according to this study:

3 Likes

It would be interesting to try this and do some blood draws before and after to see if there has been any appreciable shift in bloodwork.

1 Like

Its a hard one. We know there is something in older people’s blood that causes aging to happen. I personally think this is Interleukin-10. Doing these sorts of things reduces the level of the something (IL-10). However, the something is still generated by the body (its in SASP). Hence although it will help it is not as good as other techniques (at least in theory and I think in practice based upon my own experimentation).

What you would wish to see is that there are improvements in say kidney function or glucose processing.

Yes, SASP will get you every time. D+Q seems to be the best way to prevent SASP by getting rid of senescent cells. Rapamycin will help as well. Toss in some Fisetin and Quercetin treatment along with Procyanidins and some Apigenin for good measure. It’s the anti-senescent cocktail.

Personally I prefer to start by trying to rescue senescent cells, but failing that apoptosis is probably best.

1 Like

I would like to save them as well! What therapies do you find are effective at doing that?

This where I get into my difficulties which I explain here:

There are side effects from my protocol which can be handled so I would not want people merely to rush off and try bits. I am also still doing experimentation with different version. Additionally there are timing of information release issues in connection with IP law.

The photos below give some indication. It is perhaps easier to see with my eyebrows which become darker and bushier in 2022 than say 2019 or even 2021.

1 Like

One person’s recent report on his TPE / plasmapheresis:

I just finished my second TPE treatment at MaxWell Clinic in Nashville, and as far as I can tell, nothing in the procedure used plastic except for the optional exosome treatment at the very end. The human albumin that the machine inserted into my bloodstream was taken from glass bottles.

They took a TruDiagnostic epigenetic age test just before the first procedure (in addition to a bunch of LabCorp blood tests before and after each procedure), and I will take the follow up TruDiagnostic test at home two months later, on December 18.

They mentioned that they had originally been taking follow-up epigenetic age tests only one month after the treatment, but they eventually found that it continued to decline for a second month before starting to bump up again in the third month.

This sort of “delayed reaction” actually makes a lot of sense to me, as it would take some time for each cell to epigenetically respond to the changes in the cellular environment.

They said they typically see a reversal of epigenetic age by 6-7 years when they do this, with younger people typically getting better results.

I find this absolutely astounding; the TRIIM Trial was only 5 years IIRC.

They also mentioned that part of the reason for doing two therapies in the same week, separated by at least 48 hours, was to allow the cells to exchange intracellular fluid with the blood, so that a lot of that intracellular fluid would effectively get diluted in the second treatment.

Some 75 people have gotten this therapy at their clinic so far.

The procedures Tuesday and today took about two hours each. They also had me on a number of supplements (see attached photo) for 10 days before the procedure and also gave me pills every 30 minutes during the procedure to reduce histamines, in addition to checking temperature, blood pressure, and blood oxygen levels every half hour.

I am not sure I would want to try the approach of using frequent plasma donations to replicate this effect. Dr Conboy pointed out earlier in this thread that the proven benefits come from replacing 70% of the blood plasma at a time, which is exactly what was done twice this week with my procedure. There’s no evidence that you can get the same effect with ordinary plasma donations.

So WHY do repair/renewal enzymes/proteins often decrease with age? (even though SOME repair enzymes do increase)

Another interesting piece of news… Irina Conboys lab is open to donations to move the plasmapheresis experiments forward… I think its important research and hope it gets funded…

See description As follows:

Mike and I gave it more thought and it would be interesting to test if and to what degree plasma donations emulates the beneficial effects of TPE. We have an animal model to test this and possibly, before v. after plasma donations human blood samples.

The proteomics, which we do, is a complex experiment, involving equipment with lasers. Typical blood analysis would not suffice. The studies of the effects of plasma donation on rejuvenation would be ~$75-100K for ~ 1 year of work, and we can do these with human blood samples; possibly, even with the GRG members’ samples (de-identified and numerically labeled). Mike might add on the regulatory requirements with such a study. In addition to blood proteomics, we can also do functional studies with human stem cells in cultures with before v. after plasma donation blood serum - testing regenerative responses.

The mouse work would expand from rejuvenation of just blood to brain, liver, muscle, e.g., the postmortem tissue analyses. BTW, all approaches that were discovered or confirmed with animal models (not just mice, but fruit flies, worms and even yeast) have led to human therapeutics. On the other hand, there are no therapeutics, which were developed in just human studies.

Best wishes,

Irina Conboy, PhD

Professor of Bioengineering

Executive Committee UCB/UCSF Graduate Program

College of Engineering Research Council

By younger people, HOW much younger? If they’re young enough, there is nothing bad to dilute…

1 Like

What is “D+Q”?

This line is just copy fill to post.

Dasatanib and Quercetin - D+Q

Also… From Irina:

Hello everybody,

Ectopic albumin in saline replenishes the albumin that is lost during TPE - discarded with the plasma. In a typical TPE, ~70% of blood is removed at once, such that blood is separated into plasma (which contains albumin as the most abundant protein) and blood cells; plasma is discarded and cells are resuspended in saline + commercial albumin and returned back to the patient.

I do not recommend doing rounds of plasma donations or frequent plasma donations as there is no evidence that health would be improved; a large acute dilution of the age-elevated proteome is the set-up that we studied in a pilot; this is accomplished by TPE. Plus, I recommend waiting for the results of the controlled clinical trials on TPE, which Dobri is conducting.

Best wishes,

Irina Conboy, PhD

Professor of Bioengineering

Executive Committee UCB/UCSF Graduate Program

College of Engineering Research Council

A person shares their pre and post plasmapheresis blood test results:

FYI, in case anyone’s interested, I’ve attached my blood work (via LabCorp) which was taken immediately before and after each of the two TPE treatments last week.

• I was not fasting either day, so blood glucose doesn’t mean much.

• My liver biomarkers (ALT and AST) were scary high going in but seem to have fallen quite nicely; here’s hoping this continues as my liver gets back to normal. I’ve also gone cold turkey on alcohol – was drinking 1 glass of red wine daily until mid-September but now at zero.

• Copper and zinc were both too high and both dropped substantially; I believe the TPE also included a small amount of zinc (maybe copper as well?) to even things out, along with magnesium. I will ask the clinic about this.

• Just for fun, I ran the results through the Levine PhenoAge calculator. I substituted 0.4 for CRP, my last known reading from months ago, although this likely went down during the therapy. I was initially hopeful that there would be an age reduction as the post-TPE on Tuesday was 3 years lower,

• Albumin went up nicely due to the albumin infused with the therapy.

I would be interested in the results 6 months or a year from then to see how the blood stabilized. Also quitting alcohol is a big game changer right there. What percentage of the benefits are from that?

1 Like