How to get a Rapamycin (sirolimus) Blood Level Test

Hi, and welcome to the site.

I think you can just ignore that - you’ve already paid. Just tell them that you pre-paid Marek for the test when you go to Labcorp. I’ve done this many times with blood tests done at LabCorp, but purchased through LifeExtension Foundation, etc…

Most of LabCorp’s tests are paid for by insurance companies - so that is what they are most used to. Health fanatics like us, who do our own blood tests to track our health, are a relatively small group of people compared to the masses that just do what the doctor tells them as part of their annual checkups.

3 Likes

I started my rapamycin journey eight weeks ago with a 2mg dose. I’ve increased that- now taking 8mg every Friday. I’m 67yo male, 6’2" and 215lb.

On Friday 9/15/23, I got a sirolimus blood test two hours after taking my 8mg (8 pills- 1mg Biocon Rapacan). The result was 17.1 ng/ml.

Yesterday (Friday 9/22), I got the same test, but before taking the rapamycin (testing my trough). The result was <1.0.

For both tests, I ate a two egg cheese omelett 30 minutes before taking the pills.

I purchased the tests from Marek Health ($59 + $5 lab fee = $64). Results were available the day after test.

I purchased the Biocon Sirolimus from Vallabh Enterprise/Shreeji Impex: $180 - 300 1mg pills @ .60 per tablet. Why would you pay more?

I’m planning a few more blood tests:

1. 4 mg with Grapefruit juice

2. 8 mg (4 2mg Siroboon Sirolimus)- I just received this purchase of 150 2mg pills from Vallabh Enterprise/Shreeji Impex for $120 (40 cents per mg). I want to compare the Siroboon to the Biocon.

3. A test three days after taking the pills. I expected my trough test to be higher than “<1mg” if the half-life is 60-65 hours, so I’m curious about mid-week.

The interesting thing about all of this is that there doesn’t seem to be consensus about dosing and frequency (unless you are a mouse or organ transplant patient). I hope being on the “cutting edge” doesn’t cut too deeply!

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing these results. I would be very interested to see your future blood test results too, especially the mid-week one. I’m currently doing 4mg every 2 weeks but wondering whether to reduce the gap. However I am keen on Astaxanthin too and at the moment I don’t take Astaxanthin for 7 days after the Rapa but then take Astaxanthin twice per day for the following 7 days and then repeat the whole cycle.

1 Like

I will post future results.

I’m also taking astaxanthin- 12mg daily for the last six weeks. Why do you stop your Astaxanthin for the week after you take your rapamycin? Did I miss something?

I’m also thinking about canagliflozen after hearing Peter Attia talk about it. Seems like we must read the same things, but I’ll mention this anyway- that the National Institute of Aging has identified a few drugs/supplements that increase life span (in mice). Rapamycin, astaxanthin, and canagliflozen are on that list!

There has been much discussion on here about astaxanthin and possible interactions with Rapamycin but from what I recall there appears to be conflicting evidence on whether astaxanthin raises or inhibits MTOR. So until this is sorted out the concensus seems to be not to take them together hence my decision to leave the gap. There are plenty of people on here who are far more knowledgeable than me though so perhaps someone better informed could weigh in if I’ve got this wrong.

1 Like

There is research showing that Astaxanthin activates mTOR, see this post/ thread: Astaxanthin: A Potential Treatment in Disease and Aging, Lifespan Increase - #183 by RapAdmin

So if you are taking both rapamycin and astaxanthin you’re taking compounds that both inhibit and up regulate mtor. So the thinking goes that you probably don’t want to take rapamycin just after ramping up mTOR with astaxanthin. Though I suppose that its less of an issue taking astaxanthin after dosing rapamycin as at that point rapamycin is inhibiting mTOR and astaxanthin won’t activate mTOR because the rapamycin is already blocking the receptor. But then perhaps you aren’t getting the most benefit from Astaxanthin (but we don’t know the mechanism by which astaxanthin is improving lifespan so we can’t really say for sure.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification RapAdmin :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m in the UK does anyone know wheres best to get a Rapamycin blood test? Alternateley does anyone know if I can I submit a blood sample from the UK to the US for testing or will it not survive transit?

1 Like

If you live near London you can get a test from Doctap for £164 plus the consultation fee which will be between £49 and £69 depending on time of day you go.

1 Like

Thank you! I assume you have to attend in person? I’ll certinally check it out. Are there any mail away test in the UK anyone knows of?

Yes, you are correct, you have to attend DocTap in person.
I don’t know of any mail away tests for Sirolimus.

@Agetron what brand of sirolimus do you use typically (I think it was Dr. Reddy’s at some point, is that still the case - or just whatever generic sirolimus they give at the pharmacy? e.g. Glenmark, etc. Have you ever had a “bad” generic sirolimus that did not show results on the blood sirolimus level test?

1 Like

Hey RapAdmin - Buddy!

Yes, I have always gotten my rapamycin/sirolimus through pharmacies.
Which in his recent “The Drive” podcast Dr. Peter Attia with Matt K. and David S. says emphatically: Always get your sirolimus from a pharmacy… to be sure it is real and of quality.

As you have asked, even using pharamceutical grade drug - have I ever had bad generic siriolimus. My reply is a definative NEVER. I know because I have had my blood panel and Labcorp test every 3-4 months.

My intial Pharmaceutical Company was Dr. Reddy for a 2-full years with the 2 mg, beige color triangle pill. Red ink printed RD 54 see pic below.
Rapamycin Sirolimus pills 2mg each

Then, in January 2023 my insurance company changed and I received from Pharmaceutical Company GREENSTONE RAPAMUNE.for 9 months.

Then today, after 3 years my Pharmaceutical Company has changed once more to now to ZYDUS with the olive green colored #21 2 mg

I guess I will have to check the ZYDUS brand for quality when I do my next blood panel in 4 months.

Again, as proof of legit medication here are my last 2 tests done this month. Both test while using the GREENSTONE RAPAMUNE

I have my Labcorp test from late August. 6mg with GFJ… was 33 ng/mL . My rapamycin was too high. I want 6 to 12 maximum.

Trough

C-max 2.5 hours later

Because I was seeing my physician a week later I did the test again… just got the results today.

For the test I took 1 Rapamune pill 2mg with GFJ and I got 8.6 ng/mL - perfect.

Trough

C-max 2 hours later

For me this is where I want to be dose-wise… and will do 1 pill of 2mg Sirolimus with one fresh squeezed Grapefruit to drink the pill down. Will do this for next 6 months and then do biological testing with TruMe and GlycanAge. see what is happening in inflammation/glycans and my DNA methylation.

3 Likes

Thanks! You’ve confirmed what I was stating, all the generic tablet rapamycin is fine as far as bioavailability. I think Zydus is also likely fine, and Biocon.

This month I think I’ll do some dose response testing and will report back on blood levels also.

1 Like

Last Friday, I took 4mg rapamycin with grapefruit juice. As this was my first time with GFJ, I tested my blood level two hours after dosing. Results came back Saturday showing my sirolimus/rapamycin blood level at 31.9. Pretty high, especially as I had twice previously tested 8mg dose with no GFJ and results were 17.1. and 12.9.

Yesterday (Monday) I took another test- wanting to see how fast my blood level dropped. The test was about 75 hours after my Friday dosing. I just got my results back (Tuesday) and my rapa blood level was just 2.6. Apparently, my rapa half-life is much less than the 60 hour average that is commonly cited. I had planned doing another test this coming Friday before dosing to find my trough. Seems unnecessary now!

btw- I’ve been taking my dose every Friday morning on a mostly empty stomach. I was surprised that my 8mg dose tested once at 17.1 and the next time tested at only 12.9. The only difference was I took one oz olive oil with the dose that tested 12.9. Subsequently, I read that a high fat meal may slow absorption- so maybe my 2 hour post-dosing test was not my tMax?

Details:
I’m 68, 6’1" and 215 pounds.

I buy my blood tests from Marek Health (a good source RapAdmin has pointed out). It’s $59 + $5 puncture fee ($64 total). Marek emails you a coupon that you print out and take with you to LabCorp showing that your test is prepaid. I have six tests in the 10 weeks I’ve been dosing rapamycin and never had any problems with Marek/LabCorp.

I get my rapamycin from Maulik at Vallabh Enterprise/Shreeji Impex for just 60 cents per mg. I’ve made three purchases from Maulik (including Canagliflozen which I started yesterday). Never any problems, but I do have to wire him the money (he doesn’t accept Wise).

8 Likes

No, you can’t know that from these results. Rapamycin has a biphasic half-life. The reported half-life of rapamycin of 60 hours is the half-life after it has dropped from the peak and stabilized. The drop from the peak in the first few hours will be a lot faster than the actual half-life after it has stabilized. If you want to find out your half-life you have to measure rapamycin after it has dropped down and stabilized from peak levels. I suggest measuring it at 48 hours and then 96 hours. The numbers you get from that will enable you to calculate the half-life.

You cannot read too much into these measurements. Trying to test your peak levels is largely a waste because you will never catch it accurately.

7 Likes

However, I do casually observe from posts that the human half-life of rapamycin is probably closer to 60 than 80 hours.

2 Likes

Yes, 60 hours is what I recall too from the studies. Btw personally mine came out at about 51 hours.

2 Likes

Anyone know of labs in Scandinavia that test for Rapamycin in blood?

1 Like

@Krister_Kauppi would likely be the person who knows if there is one.

1 Like