Hearing / tinnitus and rapamycin

Glad I am not the only one. There are those who can walk a narrow beam and those who cannot. In spite of my reasonable athletic abilities, I was never good at balance exercises at any age. I am very poor at balancing with my eye closed. If this is a longevity test, I am long dead.
But, still, I am ticking along pretty well for an 82year old.

3 Likes

Adopted, my familyā€™s genetics are unknown

Me too. I have wracked my brain on this question. I wonder about all the ascending and descending tracts from Neuroanatomy in Med School. I also had a nasty 30-minute sneezing attack last year, and wonder if I broke something in the process.

1 Like

Desertshores: The poor balance has nothing to do with longevity, to my knowledge! It does, however, have to do with a fear of heights-- people with poor proprioception rely more on eyesight for balance, and being way up high throws off the proportions of things, visually. Thatā€™s what 23&me said, anyway. I never had cause to look into it in any depthā€¦ but it is interesting!

Great to hear that rapamycin has helped with your joint pain. (And that youā€™re 82 and going strong!) Thatā€™s a key feature of Ehlers-Danlos (because the joints are so bendy), so I am hoping I might improve as you have.

1 Like

DrM: When you have a spare $99, do a 23&me! Itā€™s quite interesting and sometimes can yield relevant information for health.

If you find anything (at whatever point in the future) having to do with the ear, please do post it. Iā€™m thinking I (and you) may have a genetic type that is more sensitive to ototoxic effects. Iā€™m not going to stop, but I will lower my dose and see how it goes.

3 Likes

I was referring to previous posts by RapAdmin and rivasp12: In any case blind or eyes wide open, I would never have done well on these tests.
Unfortunately, I donā€™t know whether or not rapamycin at lower dosages reverses or helps arthritis pain. I became pain-free after several weeks of high dosages. The pain has stayed away for well over a year now. Maybe lower doses will also work.

ā€œIn vivo, the rapamycin particles decreased the symptoms of RA in mice, and the production of inflammatory cytokines was associated with the occurrence of RA. The present study partially revealed the interactions between rapamycin and two types of immune cell in RA disease, and may potentially offer a solution to improve the treatment of RA.ā€
There are many studies indicating that it should help. Also, metformin is mentioned in some as being synergistic. So, best wishes.

4 Likes

I just wanted to update the group on my tinnitus and how colchicine has reduced its severity. Within two days of taking colchicine my tinnitus went from a raging pitch to a very slight pitch. It really is amazing. This has lasted for a month now since taking colchicine daily. I read elsewhere on this forum however that there is an interaction between rapamycin and colchicine and now wondering if I should stop taking colchicine on the day before and day of when I take my daily rapamycin. Thoughts?

4 Likes

Has anyone else had this experience with colchicine? Please post if youā€™ve noticed anything like this. n=1 is a start, but lets see if we can get it higher.

3 Likes

Just some more info. I did not start the Colchicine for Tinnitus purposesā€¦more to reduce inflammation and hence longevity purposesā€¦but the indirect tinnitus benefit has been a game changer in terms of my quality of life.

1 Like

What was the dose you were taking when you noticed a reduction in tinnitus?

1 Like

AWTTW:

While colchicine is an interesting drug, it is not one of the particularly safe ones, especially for the elderly. Colchicine has a low threshold for toxicity and must be used with extreme care. One I think I will skip out an abundance of caution. I can find zero information that it does anything for tinnitus. Maybe the ant-inflammatory effects? Though I canā€™t believe that is so since I take several anti-inflammatories already.

ā€œColchicine is only indicated for intermittent use and patients will often initiate treatment themselves; therefore the potential exists for a severe drug interaction to occur.ā€

ā€œColchicine has a low threshold for toxicity and must be used with extreme care. Colchicine is only indicated for intermittent use and patients will often initiate treatment themselves; therefore the potential exists for a severe drug interaction to occur.ā€

ā€œThe lowest effective dose of colchicine should be used and must not exceed 6 mg over four days.
Elderly patients and patients with hepatic or renal impairment are at higher risk of colchicine toxicity.
Colchicine should not be used in patients with hepatic or renal impairment who are also taking CYP3A4 and P-glycoprotein inhibitors.ā€

Colchicine: Beware of toxicity and interactions.

1 Like

0.6 mg is the dose I take.