Grip, Flexibility, Balance, Walk Speed & Other Longevity Indicators

There’s lots of great stuff in this forum about calculating epigenetic age with blood tests/etc. I haven’t seen much here, though, about gauging health/longevity with physical indicators like grip strength, flexibility, balance, natural walking speed, pushup ability (all of which are highly associated with longevity in numerous studies).

Does anyone know if there are any aging tests that include these factors along with the “blood level” type measurements for a better overall indicator of likely lifespan? I know they might be a bit tougher to throw into the mix of an age calculator, but from what I can tell, they are just as reliable when it comes to measuring the likelihood of mortality.

I hope that makes sense to everyone! In addition to my regular jogging & weight training, a few years ago I started doing daily exercises that focus on abilities that are good indicators of longevity. I use a hand grip strength trainer; dead hang from a bar; really extensive stretching for flexibility; balance on one leg; head stands; hold my breath; focus on increasing my average walking speed, etc.

Please let me know your thoughts! I’m certainly no expert, and realize that I might be mistaken in these being reliable indicators for longevity.

2 Likes

I believe in stretching and balance training. Vibrating platform is excellent for balance training. Have been using it for years: can easily stand on one leg as long as needed. Grip strength is also important. My GP always tests it during appointments.

1 Like

Yes… Is Muscle Weakness the New Smoking? (Study)

1 Like

There are lots of different functional tests, but I don’t think anyone has tried to build all of them into a biological age tests although some of them have been used.

I am trying to bring together a collection of data which enables looking at any one biomarker (including functional tests) and get some indication of what it means.

For example the sit and stand/rise test (which involves sitting on the floor and standing up and losing a point for each time you use an arm to balance and/or lose balance (half a point) out of ten is quite a good test both of muscle strength and co-ordination.

Sarcopenia is driven by the biochemical shifts of aging as is osteoporosis. Hence strength and frailty issues are going to follow on from the extent to which someone has an older biochemistry (personally I think this is the IL-10 issue/senescence load issue).

2 Likes

I have mine for 25 years. I use weights on it regularly.