Four best longevity interventions

This is the current summary when trying to find the best four longevity interventions based on science. Let me know if some parameter is missing, has wrong value or something else. All feedback is welcome as always. Even the really tough one. The goal is to keep this updated as more data comes in.

10 Likes

Thanks for doing all of this, Krister! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:+1: And thank you and all the other people here for the great feedback.

4 Likes

Very good question and feedback, Mike!

I know four is a odd number but the reason for this was lack of space :smiley: I could of course decrease the font size but then it would be even harder to people to read it. The purpose of the four ones is not to say that these four are the ones you should only adopt. This summary just shows that these four are the best longevity interventions based on science. Other interventions has impact also but these probably have the best effect for most people when it comes to longevity. Longevity is a very complicated area so it’s also important to be humble here. There are no quick easy answers in this area. Only qualified quesses. So it’s important to stay humble I would say. There are also so much BS out that so it’s very hard to navigate in this jungle with people trying to sell you the latest longevity compound and pointing on remarkable results etc.

When it comes to diet, exercise, PEMF and other thing they have not shown as strong lifespan data as the four ones in the summary. Here are for example some things I wrote about exercise and lifespan:

My plan is to create a new summary on the top four things to avoid when it comes longevity? I have already started on it a bit so a similiar work will be done regarding it. But rapamycin will not be part of that list :smiley:

2 Likes

:+1: Haha, this quote made my day and gave me a big smile! Thanks, Mike :smiley:

3 Likes

I agree top four things to avoid is a good project. I also think that a chart of the second four (numbers 5 thru 8) best longevity interventions would be a worthwhile project. I realize it will be very difficult and there will be less solid evidence for these interventions. But I think, as a community we can come up a valuable resource and it will complement the top 4 chart. There are some important practices for longevity seekers that should be mentioned somewhere even though they didn’t make the top 4 list. Just a few examples - diet quality must be a important factor. Exercise is considered an extremely important thing for longevity seekers by just about every longevity expert out there so it seems there must be some evidence that of its value. I really think an additional list would be valuable. Do you think it can be done?

1 Like

Good suggestion in increasing the list with another image for 5-8 :+1:

I have also plans in creating a summary where diet, exercise, sleep etc are included. So step by step forward :pray:

2 Likes

Thanks for compiling the chart, Krister–easy-to-read font size and all! I also want to comment on your positive, can-do responses to everyone’s feedback. Your posts always have a nice “vibe.”

4 Likes

I believe the record for a compound extending lifespan in animals belongs to dietary nucleotides (RNA/DNA). In fact, nothing else even comes close. In one of the studies with rats not to known to live longer than 900 days, one rat lived to 2250 days. And it also works in older animals. There’ve been six rodent studies in mice and rats as well as a fruit fly study. I started a topic here on it back in June. Remarkable extension of lifespan was found with both injections and in feed. It’s possible that the DNA is more important than RNA, and that product has conveniently disappeared off the market in the last few years. RNA is available and RNA with a small amount of DNA, such as the Piping Rock product which is 90% RNA and 10% DNA.

However, the mechanism by which it works is unknown. And it’s unclear how much RNA/DNA is safe for human consumption. It’s known to produce uric acid as a byproduct when consumed. Rodents have an additional enzyme to break down excess uric acid that humans lack. So people who’ve had gout or hyperuricemia probably shouldnt take it. Per studies, most cases of hyperuricemia are benign to the extent that people don’t develop signs of gout or crystals in the kidneys. But people with hyperuricemia are known to be more likely to develop heart disease. Correlation doesn’t necessarily mean causation.

For a few weeks, I did take LEF’S RNA powder at 4.5 grams per day. I had my uric acid levels checked twice during that time. They stayed in range. So, I was originally going to continue to take that dose. However, after additional research it seems that people with gout and uric acid crystallization don’t always have high uric acid during an attack. Presumptively, excess uric acid is both being removed by the kidneys and yet also building up in certain areas with less blood flow, like the feet, before being removed.

So I dropped down to 1.5 grams per day based on uncertainties about uric acid cycling. I’m not sure that’s enough for a good anti-aging effect, though. LEF recommends a maximum of two grams per day. And given that the kidneys remove uric acid, staying well hydrated seems like a good idea.

These studies seem to be mostly unknown to researchers. Even the team that conducted the most recent lifespan study back in 2014 thought their study was the first one.

1 Like
1 Like

Was the nucleotide stuff not originally from yeast? I have bought some yeast with a view for trying it some time.

Can somebody help me out here with something basic? Why does yeast have more RNA/DNA than meat or plants? They must treat it somehow to get rid of everything else.

I have yeast that I put in my mushroom cultures, but I thought it was for the B vitamins.

Some people eat sardines to increase dietary nucleic acids. But as with the brewers yeast derived supplements, it’s going to be predominantly RNA rather than DNA. The 50/50 supplements disappeared.

1 Like

This was something very new to me. Very interesting and thanks for lifting this up. More reading is needed. It would be also interesting to get some researchers view on that. Can you not ask for example Matt Kaeberlein, Brad Stanfield or Peter Attias view on the topic. Would be great to hear there view on the topic. They are usually on twitter. Brad probably can make a youtube video on it also.

There were some papers a long time ago that looked at yeast. Here’s a link.

Thomas Gardner did a lot in the 1940s and possibly 1950s. Quite a lot of his work has sort of slipped by the wayside.

1 Like

More on Dr Benjamin Frank’s diet:

The article lists food with high nucleic acids, found in Dr Frank’s book. RNA content is indirectly calculated from the food’s purine content.

Category 1: Organ Meats

Chicken livers 402
Beef liver 268
Pork liver 259
Chicken heart 187
Beef kidney 134

Category 2: Fresh Seafood

Sardines 343
Anchovies 341
Salmon 289

Category 3: Canned Seafood

Sardines 590
Oysters 239
Mackerel 122
Herring 82
Clams 44

Category 4: Dried Legumes

Pinto beans 485
Lentils 484
Garbanzo beans 356
Black-eyed peas 306
Small white beans 305
Large lima beans 293
Great northern beans 284
Cranberry beans 248
Baby lima beans 190
Split peas 173
Red beans 140

Category 5: Bone and Fish Broth, Vegetables and Nuts
Dr. Frank doesn’t list specific RNA values for this category, but these foods are all particularly high in naturally occurring RNA:
· Fish, beef, pork, chicken, and other bone broth or meat extracts recommended in Nourishing Broth
· Nuts, properly prepared (see Cook Your Way to Wellness)
· Spinach (Sally suggests boiling or steaming spinach for at least 15 minutes)
· Oatmeal, properly soaked and prepared (Nourishing Traditions, p. 455)
· Wheat germ bran
· Asparagus
· Mushrooms
· Radishes
· Onions
· Beets (see note below)
A note on beets: Although beets, like most vegetables, are not high in nucleic acids, they’re still an important part of Dr. Frank’s diet. Beets contain an amino acid the body uses to create its own nucleic acid, plus they have another nutrient important to brain function. I recommend beet kvass as the best way to get this nutritional powerhouse into your diet. You can learn how to make great beet kvass in Cook Your Way to Wellness.
Category 6: Supplementation

3 Likes

I take one can of sardines for breakfast, for Saturday and Sunday. I mash it, and mix into one egg, for an omelette.

If you don’t like sardines, chicken livers will be a good substitute. Another, is lentil flatbread, which I intend to try today, after watching the below video.

Below is a link to a table showing purine content of different food items.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bpb/37/5/37_b13-00967/_html/-char/en#:~:text=Most%20mushrooms%2C%20except%20for%20dried,240%20mg%2F100%20g%20purines.

High scorers would be mushrooms - dried shiitake (379.5); vegetables - parsley (288.9); meat - pork liver (248.8) prosciutto (138.3);.

Highest scorers, are dried sakura shrimp (749.1), and dried anchovy (1108.6); Chlorella 3182.7, spirulina, 1076.8)

Values are mg. per 100 gm.

Costco intermittently sells dried anchovies from Japan. They are a delicious snack, but a bit expensive. They have a salty umami taste, with a bit of sweetness. You can consider them fish jerky.

The article states that hypoxanthine and total purines are important considerations for people with gout. Since they all have high purine content, if one takes them, then choosing food that is low in hypoxanthine may reduce the risk of gout. With that in mind, the best bets are shiitake, chlorella, spirulina, and chicken liver,

3 Likes

Wild caught sardines in OO with rapamycin has not been a bad idea!

Thank you RapAdmin

2 Likes

If concerned about gout, one can take oyster mushrooms, because it has high anti-gout xanthine oxidase (XOD) inhibitory activity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4206799/

3 Likes

From what I remember, sardines was a part of Dr. Benjamin S. Frank’s recommendations. That was back in the 70’s.

1 Like